BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2012 11:17 am  #1

The Office - UK

Continuing with my 'catching up' on related shows to the actors of Sherlock, I've just watched both series of this show.
It took perseverance at first; Ricky Gervais and/or his character annoyed the hell out of me & the show seemed to 'plod' a little. But once you 'get involved' in who is doing what to who it's quite a nice little comedy really.
Martin's character was amusingly wishywashy to the end.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 11, 2012 11:28 am  #2

Re: The Office - UK

In German tv there is the US version at the moment.
I think we have a German one too, based on "Office", called "Stromberg". I recognized some of the characters when watching an episode of the US Office.
Sad that they don't broadcast the UK version here. Somehow the German directors are hooked to the US series only....

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 11, 2012 11:29 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 11, 2012 12:32 pm  #3

Mattlocked wrote:

In German tv there is the US version at the moment.
I think we have a German one too, based on "Office", called "Stromberg". I recognized some of the characters when watching an episode of the US Office.
Sad that they don't broadcast the UK version here. Somehow the German directors are hooked to the US series only....

Yes, the other countries' versions are spin-offs from this one. The UK one was made in 2001.
I have not seen the US version & doubt I would bother honestly.

There was also a special made in 2009 "A Night at the Office"

And some deleted scenes made it onto a DVD. I quite like some of these, shame they didn't make it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 11, 2012 12:42 pm  #4

kazza474 wrote:

I have not seen the US version & doubt I would bother honestly.

Concerning the US version I thought the same - until I listened to this radio-show with Martin and Amanda where he pointed out that it's also quite good (except his own character lol). So I gave it a chance once.  But............................

Will check your vids later, thanks for posting!!!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 12, 2012 6:14 am  #5

I just found that netflix has this series in their line-up  so  I've added it.  Should be interesting, but I'm only interested cos of Martin.  I don't care much for comedy, but I'm gonna give this one a try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 12, 2012 6:50 pm  #6

Just curious if the characters on the US version of 'The Office' line up with the UK version (which I have not seen).  Would Martin's 'Tim' character be like our 'Jim' character - or were all the characters completely different from each other in each version?  Anyone know?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 12, 2012 10:34 pm  #7

I have NO  idea.   But I do know that Americans like to take UK  productions  and make it their own.  They did it with Who wants to be a millionaire,  Roseanne,  The Office (I think that had alec Baldwin in the amer version)  Oh,  and Ugly Betty.   those are just a few that I know about.   Most new versions DO  have different character names and settings.   That's all I know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 13, 2012 12:23 am  #8

The main characters in the US version (Michael, Jim, Pam, Dwight) correspond to characters in the UK version. I think there have been some big failures in translating UK shows to the US (Coupling, Men Behaving Badly), but I liked the US Office a lot, at least as long as Steve Carrell was on it. (Not sure going forward.) That wasn't true from the beginning, though. I watched the first episode and didn't go back until people kept raving about it. I finally gave it another chance and enjoyed it most of the time from then on.

Although I, for one, found the Ricky Gervais character a lot harder to take then Steve Carrell's, I eventually found a little sympathy for him. John K and Martin F are both pretty endearing in their roles, I think.

March 27, 2013 8:05 pm  #9

Here's a great Martin Freeman blooper.  I wonder if John Krasinski was cast because he gets the giggles as badly as Martin does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojqX7sIVKTU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

March 27, 2013 9:54 pm  #10

I had the DVD's sitting on my shelf for ages. I actually watched some of the US Office on TV and liked it so thought I should go back to the original material. The first episode of both is pretty much identical. I really liked the UK version. I agree that Ricky's character is really hard to like but I think that is the way he's meant to be. He's meant to be that annoying overbaring boss lots of people have experienced. He reminded me a lot of a parent trying to be cool.
I have to say that I loved Martin in it. Tim is so sweet and I totally relate to the being stuck in a dead end job thing! If only I had the guts to jelly peoples stuff! It's funny now to go back and look at it because Martin seems so young!

================================================================

April 1, 2013 4:40 am  #11

Michele wrote:

I had the DVD's sitting on my shelf for ages. I actually watched some of the US Office on TV and liked it so thought I should go back to the original material. The first episode of both is pretty much identical. I really liked the UK version. I agree that Ricky's character is really hard to like but I think that is the way he's meant to be. He's meant to be that annoying overbaring boss lots of people have experienced. He reminded me a lot of a parent trying to be cool.
I have to say that I loved Martin in it. Tim is so sweet and I totally relate to the being stuck in a dead end job thing! If only I had the guts to jelly peoples stuff! It's funny now to go back and look at it because Martin seems so young!

Just wanted to say it's interesting you brought this up again and said that, because I finally (amidst the gazillion things plan to watch), recently got around to it as well.  I'd seen a good handful of the US version re-runs here and there, and liked it/the premise/the 'different'-ness of the show, but not really caught enough by it to check the UK version when I became aware of the original.  Obviously, discovering Martin changed that.  ;P   ;D

And... well... I watched two episodes out of curiosity, and having a little trouble deciding if want to get back to it between my other shows.  Enjoyed Martin (the best part of it), and some of the stark humor/office jokes, but perhaps some of you know what I mean with how it just plodded and seemed more bleak satire than funny.  Maybe because I've never found Gervais very entertaining, just annoying.  Isn't it interesting though, the sense of comedy, and, heck, especially comedic timing... even going back and finding the US pilot, which kept the majority of the plot and dialogue, was quite different in that regard to its British counterpart's style?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

Board footera