BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2012 6:36 am  #1

The Times Cheltenham Festival 2012

Sherlock - A Thoroughly Modern Victorian

L053 Benedict Cumberbatch: Sherlock - A Thoroughly Modern Victorian at Cheltenham Racecourse - Centaur
Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 20:45
£15 RES, Members 10% discount
Tickets for this event go on sale on 20th August 10:30am

What are the challenges of re-imagining a great Victorian classic for the modern age? The actor Benedict Cumberbatch discusses Sherlock, BBC TV’s triumphant remake, and shares fascinating insights into the creative process that brought this new detective for the 21st century to our screens. Chaired by journalist and Sherlock co-star Louise Brealey.

The Times Cheltenham Festivals

Man, you guys get all the good stuff there.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 15, 2012 2:50 am  #2

Re: The Times Cheltenham Festival 2012

Sherlock - A Thoroughly Modern Victorian

L053 Benedict Cumberbatch: Sherlock - A Thoroughly Modern Victorian at Cheltenham Racecourse - Centaur
Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 20:45
£15 RES, Members 10% discount
Tickets for this event go on sale on 20th August 10:30am

What are the challenges of re-imagining a great Victorian classic for the modern age? The actor Benedict Cumberbatch discusses Sherlock, BBC TV’s triumphant remake, and shares fascinating insights into the creative process that brought this new detective for the 21st century to our screens. Chaired by journalist and Sherlock co-star Louise Brealey.

The Times Cheltenham Festivals

Man, you guys get all the good stuff there.

So true!

And chaired by Louise Brealey!

She will be SOoooo much better and more fun than the Masterpiece Mystery moderator
was for the Q&A in New York last May!

Looks like a great line-up -

http://www.cheltenhamfestivals.com/about-us/brochures/literature-brochure-2012

Check out the page for Oct. 6th alone - Here's the schedule
for just one of the venues.  What a nice day at the festival!

Michael Palin - 12-1pm
David Suchet  - 2-3
Roger Moore - 4:15-5:15
JK Rowling - 6:30-7:45
Benedict Cumberbatch - 8:45-10

October 4, 2012 2:53 am  #3

Sounds great!   Is anyone going this weekend?

October 4, 2012 5:29 am  #4

Cumberbatchweb is going. Apparently it's been sold out for ages. Loo, also apparently, tweeted yesterday asking if anyone had questions they'd like her to ask Mr Cumberbatch and the response broke her twitter LOL

I think she was a tad overwhelmed by the response!

Edit: here's Cumberbatchweb's Tumblr post about the event

Last edited by Wholocked (October 4, 2012 5:31 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 4, 2012 9:20 am  #5

I'm going!

SOOOOOOO looking forward to it. I'll do a report for you all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 4, 2012 9:51 am  #6

That's so wonderful, Boss, I'm happy for you. I'm very excited to read your report. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2012 9:57 am  #7

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I'm going!

SOOOOOOO looking forward to it. I'll do a report for you all. 

Not. Jealous. At. All.

Do you realise how much we will love you if you can get a picture of our boy? I know you ain't allowed at certain times, but, come on, we are special, aren't we? I'm sure nobody will mind (snort). Seriously, if you do get a photo, this site would explode with joy and jealousy  Hope you are going to tweet from the festival as well as the (very lengthy) report. I really enjoyed your report from Edinburra (yeh, I know that's not how you spell it, but I'm trying to start a trend).

Anyway, have a great time no matter who you meet, looks like some interesting writers will be there. I used to help out at the bookstore at the Byron Bay Writers Festival in a former life and always had a hoot, met some lovely authors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

October 6, 2012 9:14 pm  #8

First pic, not brilliant. But I thought you'd like it.

Last edited by SusiGo (October 6, 2012 9:14 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 6, 2012 9:16 pm  #9

Yes, I like it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 6, 2012 9:17 pm  #10

So do I. And on Twitter you'll find some answers. He'd love to do Hamlet. What about a trip to London? 

October 6, 2012 9:23 pm  #11

Cumberbatchweb @cumberbatchweb
#BenedictCumberbatch hinted that we might see him give his Hamlet before too long.

Will have to book my tickets soon. 

October 6, 2012 9:29 pm  #12

SusiGo wrote:

So do I. And on Twitter you'll find some answers. He'd love to do Hamlet. What about a trip to London? 

A.NY.TIME!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 6, 2012 10:29 pm  #13

A pic of Louise before entering stage

Think she was a little bit excited earlier; for those who don't tweet:

Louise Brealey�� @louisebrealey

In bed, wild-eyed in the gloom. Hope my heart slows down a bit. It's punching my ribs so hard I might be dead by tea time. #cheltlitfest    16h

------------------------------------------------------------

That red onion quiche was a mistake. #cheltlitfest   4h

-------------------------------------------------------------

Aw you're all so nice. Thank you VERY MUCH for your kind bolstering words. Wish you were here. Hang on. You are. feck. xx                 4h

-------------------------------------------------------------

I an alive. I am drunk. I didn't make a massive twat of myself. Cheltenham, you were amazing. Thank you so much. #cheltlitfest          11m

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 6, 2012 10:55 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 6, 2012 11:00 pm  #14

loving the tweets,  and looking forward to our SH's report!...

"What was your favourite bit of filming..?" Benedict Cumberbatch: "…You."

October 6, 2012 11:16 pm  #15

October 7, 2012 7:17 am  #16

Ah! Koala and...is that an otter? Nice to see a healthy bottle of water alongside the bubbly! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 7:35 am  #17

Lucky fans! Sounds like it was a great event. Looking forward to Sherlock's update

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 7, 2012 7:37 am  #18

How sweet!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 7, 2012 9:16 am  #19

October 7, 2012 9:26 am  #20

Very nice review. It must have been such a wonderful evening. I hope I'll get the chance to watch it. 

Board footera