BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2016 9:29 pm  #381

Re: Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat Tweets

Shani wrote:

So - not really a fan of his then? 

But seriously - I think you're right. If you give it out, you have to be able to take it. I'm not suggesting he's sobbing in a corner because some TJLCers got angry and swore at him. I'm really more concerned that it will mean communications between fans and TPTB deteriorate further. And I don't think that's entirely fans' fault either. I don't think Moffat or Gatiss do fully understand all the nuances of what is going on here. But then I don't really expect them to. They're busy men writing and filming the show we love. They don't have the time to trawl through tumblr to get all the different opinions and viewpoints from different fans. As I said in my long post on the debate thread, I don't think they're perfect by any means. They've made mistakes and communicated things badly in the past. I just wonder where we will end up in terms of future fan interaction like conventions if people on both sides get angry, frustrated and upset.

Well, after checking how strong support from people he has on twitter despite everything, I doubt situation is so black. If Mofftiss deliver strong S4, I don´t think there would be any big resentment there...

...as an old Holmesian, I just hope they won´t introduce some female love interest for Sherlock. Some adaptations delivered it just fine, but here it would be too OOC, in my opinion.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 4, 2016 9:34 pm  #382

nakahara wrote:

Well, after checking how strong support from people he has on twitter despite everything, I doubt situation is so black. If Mofftiss deliver strong S4, I don´t think there would be any big resentment there...

...as an old Holmesian, I just hope they won´t introduce some female love interest for Sherlock. Some adaptations delivered it just fine, but here it would be too OOC, in my opinion.

I think the resentment would come from the really strong TJLCers who are totally convinced they're going to kiss in this series. Some of them are already gathering with metaphorical torches and pitchforks if Gatiss & Moffat don't deliver on a romance between the two of them. For them, that's all the show is now. Pure Johnlock. All the other characters, the cases, the adventures are irrelevant.

I don't think it's likely they'll introduce a love interest for Sherlock though. I think Irene Adler is the nearest they'll ever go with that.

August 4, 2016 9:41 pm  #383

nakahara, what you see on Twitter and co is depending on who you follow. When you don't follow Johnlockers or visit their timelines, you will hardly see their posts - unless they answer Mark's tweets, or he retweets/answers them.
I might have missed the whole drama, but some people I follow vented about the intolerable behavior of some "fans", so I asked what they are talking about...

I also haven't seen any posts questioning the interview - only Mark's statement that said interview happened and that he indeed said what was stated there. Comparing to his usual style this one post sounded very stern and almost a bit annoyed to me. So probably there was a lot of asking or denying/twisting his words. If I remember right, he confirmed the interview twice, and there was another similar statement from... Sue?

August 4, 2016 9:44 pm  #384

Shani wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I think the resentment would come from the really strong TJLCers who are totally convinced they're going to kiss in this series. Some of them are already gathering with metaphorical torches and pitchforks if Gatiss & Moffat don't deliver on a romance between the two of them. For them, that's all the show is now. Pure Johnlock. All the other characters, the cases, the adventures are irrelevant.

I don't think it's likely they'll introduce a love interest for Sherlock though. I think Irene Adler is the nearest they'll ever go with that.

Hmmm, I would love to see John and Sherlock kissing too... at least give us some mouth to mouth, Mofftiss, if you can´t deliver it another way! 

Personally, I am not that worried. I think most of people would "play the game" as usual and interpret the scenes for Johnlock, Sherlolly, Warstan or to whatever thing they incline to, kiss or no kiss. As long as the writing remains more-or-less the same, which it probably would, I see no big catastrophe on the horison... but we will see, of course.

Last edited by nakahara (August 4, 2016 9:44 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 4, 2016 9:49 pm  #385

JP wrote:

nakahara, what you see on Twitter and co is depending on who you follow. When you don't follow Johnlockers or visit their timelines, you will hardly see their posts - unless they answer Mark's tweets, or he retweets/answers them.
I might have missed the whole drama, but some people I follow vented about the intolerable behavior of some "fans", so I asked what they are talking about...

I also haven't seen any posts questioning the interview - only Mark's statement that said interview happened and that he indeed said what was stated there. Comparing to his usual style this one post sounded very stern and almost a bit annoyed to me. So probably there was a lot of asking or denying/twisting his words. If I remember right, he confirmed the interview twice, and there was another similar statement from... Sue?

I checked some Johnlockers more closely too but what I saw was pretty beningn. Therefore I don´t see the situation as all that tragic. 

Tbh, because it´s really hard to tell from written form, I stopped to be sure about Mark categorical statements too, when I read them there... I suspect some of them even could be sarcasm... 

August 4, 2016 9:54 pm  #386

Sarcasm? Don't think so. Not THIS time.

August 4, 2016 9:55 pm  #387

JP wrote:

Hormones, hormones, hormones... It's so endlessly BORING. 
I pity people who cannot see anything beside this. They miss the best parts of this show.

Hmm, not if you love hormones... 

August 4, 2016 10:02 pm  #388

But they are EVERYWHERE! In each story. Again and again... Don't you get fed up with this?

August 5, 2016 6:09 am  #389

From reading team tweets, I don't know how anyone can deduce Johnlock is on the cards.
But this is something I have never understood:
There is real talent out there.
Why can't people carry on with their fan art/fics/vids?
Why can't they continue to be inspired by the BBC show?
Why does it have to be thought to reflect the show?
If the show ends, artists will still be able to continue their work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2016 7:51 am  #390

@ JP, do you mean in the show, or in general?  To be honest, I sometimes think there is too much emphasis on romance in general for my taste.  There are so many other stories to tell, different kinds of love, etc.   But each to their own.  In the show itself, no, I don't see it everywhere.

@ Besleybean, I don't know if you watched that video, but it seems it's not all about fan creations - which Moftiss have always encouraged - but about deeper and more personal issues (for some, anyway).    But I agree. 

August 5, 2016 7:54 am  #391

Oh I agree, I think the whole situation is quite complex.
I just hope all of the discussion doesn't become entirely moot, if we're not gonna get anymore Sherlock anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2016 10:40 am  #392

nakahara wrote:

Well, if anything, I got the proof today that it is always neccessary to check the claims of the others, just about anything.
Up to the moment I checked Mark Gatiss twitter, I was convinced that some crazy Johnlockers are really making hell of his life, because it was embellished like that on his forum.
But checking the twitter by my own eyes, I saw about 80% support for Mark Gatiss out there and just about 20% percents of complaints from disappointed Johnlockers, delivered in a quite polite tone.

So save your pity for another person, this man absolutelly doesn´t need that, in my opinion. Even more so because he is evidently no frail flower. 90% of his twitter comprised of nasty slurs aimed at various politicians and public figures he dislikes.

I am sure some hurt Johnlockers are no worry for this utterly sarcastic, self-assured man.

Ah, glad to hear it! That was a relief.

Seeing as you find fact checking important  (something I totally agree on), I assume you're 90 % slur remark is properly founded?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 5, 2016 11:44 am  #393

I usually only see him being very sad about the year's latest death.

August 5, 2016 1:12 pm  #394

Vhanja wrote:

Ah, glad to hear it! That was a relief.

Seeing as you find fact checking important (something I totally agree on), I assume you're 90 % slur remark is properly founded?

Well, most of his recent tweets were about Donald Trump, so I guess my estimate, even if not properly founded, my be near the truth.

Anyway, fans reactions on his interview were mostly "Thank you for the wonderful story you have given to us" or variations thereof and only some isolated complaint here and there...

August 5, 2016 1:19 pm  #395

Pleased to hear it.

August 5, 2016 2:43 pm  #396

Well, any slur against Trump is fine by me, so you won't hear my complain about that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 5, 2016 2:45 pm  #397

As well as some of our own less worthy politicians!

August 5, 2016 6:26 pm  #398

Liberty wrote:

@ JP, do you mean in the show, or in general?  To be honest, I sometimes think there is too much emphasis on romance in general for my taste. 

Sorry, I meant in general. Sherlock is a lovely small island in the sea of... you know.

There are so many other stories to tell, different kinds of love, etc.   But each to their own.

Amen to that.

August 5, 2016 6:27 pm  #399

He's the only fictional character I can think of who is possibly asexual or at least celibate, anyone think of any others?

August 5, 2016 6:39 pm  #400

Dracula?

Team Hudders!

Board footera