BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2016 4:12 pm  #321

Re: Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat Tweets

Woohoo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2016 9:27 am  #322

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 2, 2016 9:28 am  #323

1. 'changed my life' could mean anything.
2. he is allowed to change his mind!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2016 9:51 am  #324

Then he should admit "I don´t like that movie anymore" and not shaming the journalist, speaking about "the gabled mistranslation", duh...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 2, 2016 10:02 am  #325

"The film that change my life" is just the title of the series.  I've also seen it claimed on tumblr that he wrote the piece himself.  There seems to be a campaign to discredit him at the moment, and it's quite unpleasant. 

Anyway, it seems he doesn't feel the interview accurately reported what he said, whether that was due to mishearing or misunderstanding.   As we've said before most of it is fairly close to what he's said in interviews to it probably doesn't matter too much.  

August 2, 2016 10:18 am  #326

Liberty wrote:

There seems to be a campaign to discredit him at the moment, and it's quite unpleasant. 

Really? Where, on Tumblr or in the media?

August 2, 2016 10:22 am  #327

I have always worried the haters would be part of stopping Sherlock's continuation...
I just hope the team are above it all.
Maybe just be my paranoia, but I thought Mark looked 'uncomfortable' in on of the SDCC publicity shots. Then again, he tweeted that he'd had a fab time.

August 2, 2016 10:27 am  #328

Well, Sherlock certainly has been the bulk of work for either Mark or Steven, until recently and both have working partners.
BBC are notoriously poor payers as well, it's not Hollywood!
I am also certain they don't make Sherlock for the money, but yes, they have to be realistic.

August 2, 2016 10:33 am  #329

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

There seems to be a campaign to discredit him at the moment, and it's quite unpleasant. 

On tumblr. 

August 2, 2016 10:38 am  #330

Liberty wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

On tumblr. 

Every sensation lasts but for three days, as they say.

Give it a week and passions would calm down, I´m sure of that.
Of course, people who disliked Mark before would continue to do that, but they would anyway, so no big deal there either. I doubt they constitute such majority as to really harm Mark´s reputation.

August 2, 2016 10:42 am  #331

besleybean wrote:

Well, Sherlock certainly has been the bulk of work for either Mark or Steven, until recently and both have working partners.
BBC are notoriously poor payers as well, it's not Hollywood!
I am also certain they don't make Sherlock for the money, but yes, they have to be realistic.

Sherlock is still one of the most successful BBC shows world-wide and that won´t change so quickly, if the quality of writing and production remains at the same level as it did until now.
So I believe the creators won´t be discouraged so quickly... they still achieved a very good thing out there.

August 2, 2016 5:00 pm  #332

besleybean wrote:

I have always worried the haters would be part of stopping Sherlock's continuation...
I just hope the team are above it all.
Maybe just be my paranoia, but I thought Mark looked 'uncomfortable' in on of the SDCC publicity shots. Then again, he tweeted that he'd had a fab time.

that would be sad, because that's life, you have success there will be haters, people don't like how their fav. show develops sooner or later they turn against you. But I think that are just very few people we are talking about.
They are professionals they should be above it or delete their twitter acounts and stuff like that.

I know nothing about that interview and the drama that followed by the way.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 2, 2016 5:06 pm  #333

Ivy, me and you both!

August 3, 2016 9:04 am  #334

August 3, 2016 9:29 am  #335

I think this is well-written and calm in tone, and yes, I do think there's a gap between the creators and the fans.   But I don't think (if we're talking about the With An Accent interview) Moftiss were telling fans what to think.  It was more like saying that fans couldn't tell them what to think.  Fans are, of course, free to interpret and believe what they want, but there were some fans accusing Moftiss of saying things they hadn't said at all, and in the context of a serious subject, and I took it that that was what they were objecting to.  Not fans shipping Johnlock, or anything like that. 

August 3, 2016 9:34 am  #336

Liberty wrote:

I think this is well-written and calm in tone, and yes, I do think there's a gap between the creators and the fans.   But I don't think (if we're talking about the With An Accent interview) Moftiss were telling fans what to think.  It was more like saying that fans couldn't tell them what to think.  Fans are, of course, free to interpret and believe what they want, but there were some fans accusing Moftiss of saying things they hadn't said at all, and in the context of a serious subject, and I took it that that was what they were objecting to.  Not fans shipping Johnlock, or anything like that. 

August 3, 2016 10:07 am  #337

I too have always thought this self evident, and couldn't really understand others not.
Interpret art how you like.
But don't tell the artist what their intention was.
Or even worse, what it should be!

Last edited by besleybean (August 3, 2016 10:08 am)

August 3, 2016 11:45 am  #338

GimmeCat wrote:

Thoughts? (Presuming we don't need a briefing of the content of these articles; I'm assuming everyone knows, but if not I'll hunt down the links and post them.)

The only statement in this article that I've not heard Mark repeat elsewhere when he talks about the film is that "Sherlock effectively falls in love with him (ie Watson) in the film, but it's so desperately unspoken. "

Given that this was all in the wake of last week's interview, Mark was obviously aware that @unitedcows1984 was calling him out for an apparent contradiction regarding his feelings about Johnlock and shipping. And his point in saying the interview was garbled was to reaffirm that he does not personally view John and Sherlock as romantically involved in either this film or in his own show.

I think it's relevant that the piece is an interview by a journalist, therefore something that has been filtered through someone else and not a direct statement from Mark himself. Who knows whether it was an accurate representation of what he said at the time or not? As it's 6 years ago, I'd be surprised if either he or the journalist are able to recall his exact words. The only relevant point is that Mark apparently wants to make clear that those are not his feelings now. So it can be used as confirmation that Johnlock will not become canon in the show. Unless, of course, he is lying and we're back onto that whole circle again. Repeat ad nauseam... 

Last edited by Shani (August 3, 2016 11:47 am)

August 3, 2016 12:16 pm  #339

Among all the lies...
Surely some things they say must be true!

August 3, 2016 2:49 pm  #340

besleybean wrote:

Interpret art how you like.
But don't tell the artist what their intention was.
Or even worse, what it should be!

I think this sums up the entire debate for me. This is what I thought Moftiss wanted to get across in the interview, and this is also my view on the matter.

As for the post from Ivy Blossom... well-written and I can see how her view can feel right for many. But she can't speak for the entire fandom. I would love to share a pint with Gatiss, and I would not be crushed by his words. I don't see that big a gap as she does, not for me. (And from reading Tumblr and also partly here, Moftiss are certainly not viewed as any kind of deity at all these days - more like something diabolic, it seems).

Also, someone mentioned that they will probably be ok because they will earn a lot of money from Sherlock - well, never have that money been more deserved! But I don't think any of them have any financial problems in the foreseeable future, and if they lose the joy of writing Sherlock, I don't think money will bring them back. 

Last edited by Vhanja (August 3, 2016 2:52 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera