BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2016 12:45 pm  #1801

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

LOL. It´s just now that I read daphne du Maurier´s "Rebecca" and suddenly I discovered this:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2746892/chapters/6157703

Actual Johnlock fanfiction inspired by "Rebecca" novel. With "Mary" as a new Rebecca. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2016 12:57 pm  #1802

Ooh, very nice. I googled to find the original poster that was used as inspiration, I'm guessing it was this one

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 2, 2016 3:40 pm  #1803

I don't usually go in for any type of magical realism in my fics but this one is very subtle.  It's a lovely little piece.

Give me Fire by Saki101
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6142852/chapters/14075098?show_comments=true&view_full_work=false#comment_53867658

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 2, 2016 3:49 pm  #1804

nakahara wrote:

LOL. It´s just now that I read daphne du Maurier´s "Rebecca" and suddenly I discovered this:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2746892/chapters/6157703

Actual Johnlock fanfiction inspired by "Rebecca" novel. With "Mary" as a new Rebecca. 

lol  I sat here trying to make Anna Nondeducible into Anna Nondeductible, until finally it clicked with me, like duh.  lol again

March 14, 2016 2:15 pm  #1805

NUTRISCO ET EXTINGUO by Zoffi
http://archiveofourown.org/works/439074/chapters/748309
Summary:
"You haven't said what you wanted to say." Well yes, some things take you by surprise, and you're not quite prepared for them. Like when your best friend jumps off a building in front of you. Post-Reichenbach epic, Johnlock.

This one has been on my list for quite a while.  I was a bit intemidated by it's length, 327,772 words, but now that it's read I found it very worth the effort.  I thought it had novel quality writing as well as length.  Although I will be honest and say it could've used some tender editing.  It is not a light read, there is great depth and emotion.  There is a plot but it is less about what happens and more about how the characters react and grow.  The final few chapters moved me to tears. 

Side note:  The character of Mary plays a big part in this story but keep in mind that it was written Pre-S3 so leave any baggage you may have about BBC Mary at the door.  This is very interesting take on Mary.

PS.  There are some mature passages but it is not heavy on the smut.

Last edited by tonnaree (March 14, 2016 2:21 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 14, 2016 2:17 pm  #1806

Thanks for the rec, tonnaree. And now please get me the time to read it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2016 2:22 pm  #1807

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks for the rec, tonnaree. And now please get me the time to read it. 

Oh sweetie, if I had the power to do that we would all get a lot more done.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 15, 2016 8:59 am  #1808

Sounds interesting indeed. Bookmarked!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2016 3:56 pm  #1809

tonnaree wrote:

NUTRISCO ET EXTINGUO by Zoffi
http://archiveofourown.org/works/439074/chapters/748309

Oooo, thanks, this caught me right at the moment when I needed something new to read, so I've just opened it to get started. The fic warnings promised all of my favorite things:  romance, grief/mourning, angst, humor, mystery, post-Reichenbach, friendship, slice of live and family.

I think the author has already got me with this, at the very beginning of chapter one:
You call me a mountain,
and I call you the sea.
I'll stand tall and certain,
and watch you swallow me. 

March 15, 2016 4:55 pm  #1810

You're welcome AG! 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2016 10:39 pm  #1811

I kind of liked this one here:

The Mystery of the Olive Green Chair by allonsys_girl (Explicit)
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4488930
Inspired by the promo pic of the boys in the special, this is my first attempt at Victorian Johnlock, so be gentle with me, folks. Also the chair is like, way bigger in this fic than in the photo, so just...just go with it.

I mean, a bit sorry about the new chair, but still a good read 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 26, 2016 11:10 pm  #1812

Sounds great. Just went to my Kindle. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 29, 2016 8:57 pm  #1813

Btw, ukaunz, Schmiezi, I'm into Albion and the Woodsman now - and adore it! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 30, 2016 8:17 am  #1814

I want to recommend a two-story series that I found quite interesting:

Screaming in Cathedrals by J_Baillier

First story: The Road of Bones
Sherlock usually ignores warning signals from The Transport but this time, it's his precious brain that's in jeopardy. How will he and John cope?

Hurt/comfort fic where Sherlock has to deal with a possibly devastating illness. What makes this story stand out to me, is that the author is a medical professional and it's therefore all quite realistic. Both the medical and the psychological side, seeing as she's seen many patiens going through similar things as Sherlock does here

The story is pre-Johnlock, so I would say it's suitable for both Johnlockers and non-Johnlockers. (But I post the rec in this thread as the series - and the stories - are tagged for Johnlock).

Second story: Stress Fractures

Sherlock has barely recovered from major surgery when a death in the family turns his life into chaos again. John, who has been trying to adjust to the changing nature of their relationship, is left reeling from the impact as well. A story of love, death, family, loss and some ducks off the coast of Northumberland, as told by John.

This story is tagged for Major Character Death, but it's not Sherlock or John. It is in a way quite different from the first one. The narrative has changed to 1st person John, and how they try to navigate all the emotional trauma while also trying to figure out where to go with their own relationship.

This is more of a Johnlock story, with quite a bit of angst. The two stories can be read separately, but are set in the same universe and Stress Fractures pick up right after TRoB. I have to say, there is stuff in SF I really enjoyed and some I didn't. I'm not going to go into detail as I don't want to spoil anything for potential readers, but the story - and the characterizations of Sherlock and John - wasn't quite as I expected after having read TRoB. Well worth a read, though, I think.

Both stories also have "DVD extra" where the author gives her thoughts on the stories and why she wrote them as she did, some extra scenes and covers for both stories. Quite a nice series that is well worth a read.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 30, 2016 8:18 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

March 30, 2016 12:41 pm  #1815

Sounds right up my ally!  *adds to never ending fic list*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2016 8:08 am  #1816

tonnaree wrote:

Hope you enjoy it!

Also, I have a question for you, tonnaree, about the Nutrisco-fic you posted. I will post the question in spoiler tags just to be sure, but I haven't started reading it yet:

Are large portions of this fic having Sherlock and John separated? So you read some chapters about what Sherlock is doing and some about what John is doing and then they eventually meet up far into the fic?

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2016 12:13 pm  #1817

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Hope you enjoy it!

Also, I have a question for you, tonnaree, about the Nutrisco-fic you posted. I will post the question in spoiler tags just to be sure, but I haven't started reading it yet:

Are large portions of this fic having Sherlock and John separated? So you read some chapters about what Sherlock is doing and some about what John is doing and then they eventually meet up far into the fic?

Yes, that's how it goes.  I felt that the ending was worth waiting for. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 31, 2016 12:34 pm  #1818

Ok, thanks.

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2016 5:20 pm  #1819

I would like to recommend this fic by Chryse, one of my favourite authors. Based on a clever idea, both heartbreaking and sexy. And also for people who prefer a not too villainous Mary. 

The Ground Beneath Your Feet[/url] (68803 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/Chryse]Chryse
Chapters: 15/15
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Explicit
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, Sherlock Holmes & John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Mycroft Holmes, Mary Morstan
Additional Tags: Angst with a Happy Ending, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD, Hurt/Comfort, Protective John, But definitely a happy ending
Summary: 

Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.

March 31, 2016 5:34 pm  #1820

I'll read this one when I've finished reading Nutrisco Et Extinguo. But thanks for the rec, it certainly sounds interesting !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera