BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2016 7:34 am  #1781

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Has anyone read any good post-TAB fics already? I have found only a handfull so far and they are all a bit ... blunt. Like written in a haste and mainly focussing on Sherlock going into withdrawal and / or John suddenly leaving Mary for no apparent reason.

I would be very happy if you knew some good ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2016 10:33 am  #1782

Schmiezi wrote:

Has anyone read any good post-TAB fics already? I have found only a handful so far and they are all a bit ... blunt. Like written in a haste and mainly focusing on Sherlock going into withdrawal and / or John suddenly leaving Mary for no apparent reason.  I would be very happy if you knew some good ones.

I would only be interested in Johnlock post-TAB fic. Have you seen any worth reading?  Short stories are fine with me, too, if they're well done.

January 19, 2016 10:50 am  #1783

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Has anyone read any good post-TAB fics already? I have found only a handful so far and they are all a bit ... blunt. Like written in a haste and mainly focusing on Sherlock going into withdrawal and / or John suddenly leaving Mary for no apparent reason.  I would be very happy if you knew some good ones.

I would only be interested in Johnlock post-TAB fic.

Me too, of course.
As this is the Johnlock-fic rec thread, I thought that would be understood. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 24, 2016 7:30 am  #1784

The first post-TAB fic I really liked.

I Love You (Is All That You Can't Say)[/url] (3154 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/theSeventhStranger]theSeventhStranger
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, Sherlock Holmes & John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson
Additional Tags: POV Sherlock Holmes, spoilers for every episode, Tarmac Scene Revisited, Post-Tarmac Scene, Fix-It, Developing Sherlock Holmes/John Watson, Post-Episode: The Abominable Bride, Retrospective, Spoilers TAB, Some Key Events Through Sherlock's POV, The Tarmac Scene, post-tab
Summary:

Then John turns toward him again.

“Sherlock. On the tarmac. I got the feeling that you were going to, um. To say something else.”

January 27, 2016 10:41 pm  #1785

An interesting Dark!John tale.
John´s anger at Sherlock makes him forget himself one day and do something unexpected... and after that, he feels guilty and doesn´t know how to undo what happened.

Sense of Innocence by tenderly_wicked

http://archiveofourown.org/works/711431

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 7:12 pm  #1786

Sorry if we've already had this rec'd here but I've been quite engrossed in this one for a few days so I thought I'd share. I'm about half way through. It's very dark but I think very well written.  Normally I might not have enjoyed seeing Sherlock painted in this light but after TAB I'm more willing. The "voices" of the characters are very good. And the author is quite clever with the cases. Usually I find fics that have cases in them rather tedious but these really held my interest.

A Waste of Breath by Chryse

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1004240

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 28, 2016 7:17 pm  #1787

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sorry if we've already had this rec'd here but I've been quite engrossed in this one for a few days so I thought I'd share. I'm about half way through. It's very dark but I think very well written. Normally I might not have enjoyed seeing Sherlock painted in this light but after TAB I'm more willing. The "voices" of the characters are very good. And the author is quite clever with the cases. Usually I find fics that have cases in them rather tedious but these really held my interest.

I already recommended this one some time ago, but it never hurts to recommend it again, I love this fic! It has an unusual (and intriguing) element in it´s characterisation of Sherlock, but it´s perfect and I cannot praise it enough. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 7:26 pm  #1788

nakahara wrote:

John´s anger at Sherlock makes him forget himself one day and do something unexpected... and after that, he feels guilty and doesn´t know how to undo what happened.

I read this based on your rec, and quite liked it. Have to say, I didn't see John as particular dark, but of course I see what you mean. 

What I like in particular about fics like this one is that it can help young (and not so young) people accept their own kinks and sexuality, and get rid of shame of being "different". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 28, 2016 7:35 pm  #1789

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I read this based on your rec, and quite liked it. Have to say, I didn't see John as particular dark, but of course I see what you mean. 

What I like in particular about fics like this one is that it can help young (and not so young) people accept their own kinks and sexuality, and get rid of shame of being "different". 

The author describes her fics mostly as Dark!John tales, but her "dark John" is often dark only because of the circumstances, not because he really is cruel... 

January 28, 2016 8:06 pm  #1790

nakahara wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sorry if we've already had this rec'd here but I've been quite engrossed in this one for a few days so I thought I'd share. I'm about half way through. It's very dark but I think very well written. Normally I might not have enjoyed seeing Sherlock painted in this light but after TAB I'm more willing. The "voices" of the characters are very good. And the author is quite clever with the cases. Usually I find fics that have cases in them rather tedious but these really held my interest.

I already recommended this one some time ago, but it never hurts to recommend it again, I love this fic! It has an unusual (and intriguing) element in it´s characterisation of Sherlock, but it´s perfect and I cannot praise it enough. 

Agree, Nakahara.  It never hurts to re-rec something (LOL). However, I'm not sure if it's just me, but if I try to use the "search" feature on the Forum and type in a key word(s) to see if the topic is already "out there", nothing of value seems to come up.  I tried typing in the title of this fan fic as key words.  I even asked for the search to be under the Fan Fic topic but got zilch as a result. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 28, 2016 8:39 pm  #1791

KeepersPrice wrote:

Thanks for the rec, KP. I would imagine you and I probably share the type of stories we like, so I have hopes for this one! I have it bookmarked and will dive in later today.

January 28, 2016 8:57 pm  #1792

KeepersPrice wrote:

nakahara wrote:

KeepersPrice wrote:

Agree, Nakahara.  It never hurts to re-rec something (LOL). However, I'm not sure if it's just me, but if I try to use the "search" feature on the Forum and type in a key word(s) to see if the topic is already "out there", nothing of value seems to come up.  I tried typing in the title of this fan fic as key words.  I even asked for the search to be under the Fan Fic topic but got zilch as a result. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I don't think you are doing something wrong. For quite some time now, we all post links for our recs instead of typing it out on our keyboards. I think the search engine cannot read the links.

And thanks for the rec. I was just looking for something to read. :-)

January 28, 2016 9:51 pm  #1793

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sorry if we've already had this rec'd here but I've been quite engrossed in this one for a few days so I thought I'd share. I'm about half way through. It's very dark but I think very well written.  Normally I might not have enjoyed seeing Sherlock painted in this light but after TAB I'm more willing. The "voices" of the characters are very good. And the author is quite clever with the cases. Usually I find fics that have cases in them rather tedious but these really held my interest.

Oh, Chryse - I remember her for another fic, The Frost is All Over, which I enjoyed a lot. If her works have lots of common, it's not what I need at the moment, but for readers who love a lush fic, definitely a good choice!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 29, 2016 9:23 am  #1794

A Waste of Breath - I started reading that and it felt familiar, so I quickly flipped through a few chapter, and then I remembered.... Very good story, yes, but I also found it really painful to read, because of the story. I'm usually not particular squeamish, but there was something about this one that was just really hard.

But, yes, I agree with everything written above. Very good story, good writing and good characterization. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 29, 2016 9:41 am  #1795

Vhanja wrote:

A Waste of Breath - I started reading that and it felt familiar, so I quickly flipped through a few chapter, and then I remembered.... Very good story, yes, but I also found it really painful to read, because of the story. I'm usually not particular squeamish, but there was something about this one that was just really hard.

But, yes, I agree with everything written above. Very good story, good writing and good characterization. 

I'm only on chapter 3, I haven't even looked to see how many chapters there are. But so far I've actually laughed out loud at least 3 or 4 times. The author has a great sense of humor and she writes so I can "see" them. I'm not 100% sure these are "our" Sherlock and John, but...  as an author, she gets to write about HER Sherlock and John, I get that. So far, so good reading, so I'm sticking with it, at least for now.

January 29, 2016 10:29 am  #1796

Oh, yes, it's worth sticking with!

And, yes, I agree - not sure I view Sherlock quite like that myself, but it works for her story. And that is what matters.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 29, 2016 11:43 am)

Team Hudders!

January 29, 2016 10:52 pm  #1797

ancientsgate wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I'm only on chapter 3, I haven't even looked to see how many chapters there are. But so far I've actually laughed out loud at least 3 or 4 times. The author has a great sense of humor and she writes so I can "see" them. I'm not 100% sure these are "our" Sherlock and John, but...  as an author, she gets to write about HER Sherlock and John, I get that. So far, so good reading, so I'm sticking with it, at least for now.

Yes, there were a couple of times I thought the author went a bit off track in the way she had the characters act under certain circumstances but then she quickly got back to making them "right".  There are like 25 chapters in the whole thing and sometimes those long stories get really bogged down just because the author doesn't want to "let go".  But I'm about 19 chapters in and it's still pretty fresh and holding up well. Hope to finish tonight.

January 30, 2016 5:26 pm  #1798

I started reading Wasted Breath also.  It was a little hard for me to get into at the begining but I was hooked by Chapter 5.  Half way through now and hate to put it down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 31, 2016 4:41 pm  #1799

I just started reading, and finished, The Frost Is All Over by Chryse (the same author as Wasted Breath).

Summary:

John was brave and clever and loyal, a commoner who longed for an exciting life.
Sherlock was dashing and brilliant and passionate, an Earl’s son who longed to solve crimes.
Being a Tale of Glorious Adventures, Love Letters, Treachery, Longing, Secret Identities, Deathbed Confessions, First Kisses, Daring Escapes, and True Love

I've had this bookmarked for ages, but never got around to it. But it was mentioned in this thread recently, and that's why I finally started it. At first I was a bit taken aback at how young Sherlock and John were at the start of the story (Sherlock: 12,5 years old. John: 14 years old). That nearly made me drop the story, but I gave it a go and it was well worth it.

The author describes it as "John and Sherlock in a Dickensian orphanage (with sex)!", which I found a quite fitting description. They both seemed a bit OOC, mainly due to their age and the setting. But I really enjoyed it, it felt more like reading a Dickensian book than a Johnlock fanfic in a way. Very original setting for the boys and a very exciting story. Well worth a read!

Last edited by Vhanja (January 31, 2016 4:41 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 13, 2016 9:53 pm  #1800

This fic does not necessarily count as Johnlock, but it does show the easiness and playfulness of their relationship. I'm not going to give more away, as it is rather short, although the words chosen for the title are...of paramount importance.

Bravo India November Golf Oscar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

Board footera