BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2015 7:09 pm  #1641

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Vhanja wrote:

I want to give a warm recommendation for this:

The White Lotusesby SilentAuror.
Summary: One day John realises that he just isn't where he belongs, which is back at Baker Street with Sherlock. So he goes back and Sherlock, in his own way, courts him. Romance.

I had this bookmarked for quite a while and finally read it. And I loved it! It felt really good to read such a warm and romantic story that had a lovely build-up between the two of them. There is no angry John or surly and snarky Sherlock. No angst or darkness or drama. Just the two of them slowly courting and flirting until they finally dare to be the couple they should be. Very lovely and warm, very enjoyable.

Also, I think a lot of you guys might enjoy it as the story starts with John breaking up with Mary. And his thoughts and reasoning behind it is a lot of what you guys have said is the reason you can't forgive her. It was as if John had read the Mary threads on this forum. ;)

Read this at lunch.  Quite nice. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 12, 2015 10:35 am  #1642

Here is one I liked very much. It is very AU but in character at the same time. Warning - do not read when hungry, it will only make you hungrier. 

Mise en Place[/url] (161004 words) by [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/azriona]azriona
Chapters: 28/28
Fandom: Sherlock (TV)
Rating: Mature
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Sherlock Holmes/John Watson
Characters: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Harry Watson, Molly Hooper, Mary Morstan, Wiggins (Baker Street Irregulars), Jim Moriarty, Mrs. Hudson
Additional Tags: Alternate Universe, Cooking, Alternate Universe - Restaurant, the one where Sherlock is Gordon Ramsay
Series: Part 1 of Mise en Place
Summary: 

John Watson had no intentions of taking over the family business, but when he returns from Afghanistan, battered and bruised, and discovers that his sister Harry has run their restaurant into the ground, he doesn't have much choice. There's only one thing that can save the Empire from closing for good – the celebrity star of the BBC series Restaurant Reconstructed, Chef Sherlock Holmes.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2015 10:36 am  #1643

Looks yummy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 23, 2015 12:07 am  #1644

Just read a classic - The Quiet Man by ivyblossom. Not sure if I even need to rec this, it's probably a classic everybody has already read.

To me, this was one of the few stories that didn't read like a fanfic. It felt like a book. The quality of her writing is superb, what an amazing story! All told in present tense from John's first person perspective. Really hard to pull off properly, and she mastered it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 23, 2015 12:14 am  #1645

That is a very good selction Vhanja.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 23, 2015 4:10 am  #1646

Vhanja wrote:

Just read a classic - The Quiet Man by ivyblossom. Not sure if I even need to rec this, it's probably a classic everybody has already read.

To me, this was one of the few stories that didn't read like a fanfic. It felt like a book. The quality of her writing is superb, what an amazing story! All told in present tense from John's first person perspective. Really hard to pull off properly, and she mastered it. 

I actually just finished reading this one myself I couldn't believe I hadn't already read it. I had heard of it, and read other works by ivyblossom, but for some reason hadn't gotten around to this one until now. I loved it and agree with what you said, it's great quality writing. I had chest pains for the first half of the story, the feels were just so strong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 23, 2015 6:40 am  #1647

It was one of my first fanfics ever and has left a lasting impression. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 23, 2015 9:01 am  #1648

Yeah, me too. I got tears in my eyes several times throughout the story, really well written.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 23, 2015 12:18 pm  #1649

Oh, The Quiet Man...definitely a classic, I must say!
Beautifully well-written, and had me in quiet tears almost throughout the story...and when I think about it, it still hurts...

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 25, 2015 10:56 am  #1650

Yesterday I read a fic I thourougly enjoyed, I thought I would give a rec.

The Norwood Love Builders by flawedamythyst
Fic summary: Sherlock and John go undercover to solve the murder of Joanna Oldacre, but things are complicated by the many feelings John has been repressing in the wake of Sherlock's faked death and return.

The premise here is a well-used one: Sherlock and John has to go undercover for a case at a relationship councelling resort. Fake relationship kind of thing. It's been done several times before, but what made this one stand out was that it also dealt - rather well, in my opinion - with John's anger and resentment after the fall. 

The story is set after S2. I think it was written before S3 aired, so there is no Mary. To me, this was a very satisfying read as I find to to be the best fix-it fic I've read so far. Especially since it's written before S3 so that there is no mess with Mary, marriage, pregnancy or any of that.

It deals with John's anger in a really good way, I think. I can't really go into details as I don't want to spoil anything, but to me this fic has all the conversations Sherlock and John should have had. Everything floating around unspoken in S3 that makes everything so tense. I was also impressed with the nuanced and mature way the author handled it all (again: can't go into too much detail without spoilers).

Last edited by Vhanja (August 25, 2015 12:19 pm)

Team Hudders!

August 25, 2015 12:03 pm  #1651

Vhanja wrote:

Fic summary: Sherlock and John go undercover to solve the murder of Joanna Oldacre, but things are complicated by the many feelings John has been repressing in the wake of Sherlock's faked death and return.

Hi Vhanja, that sounds like a good fic, I'll be putting it on my list, but can you check your link? It takes me to a completely different site 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 25, 2015 12:20 pm  #1652

Lol, my bad. Link has been fixed.

Team Hudders!

August 25, 2015 12:32 pm  #1653

Vhanja wrote:

The premise here is a well-used one: Sherlock and John has to go undercover for a case at a relationship councelling resort. Fake relationship kind of thing. It's been done several times before, but what made this one stand out was that it also dealt - rather well, in my opinion - with John's anger and resentment after the fall. 

The story is set after S2. I think it was written before S3 aired, so there is no Mary. To me, this was a very satisfying read as I find to to be the best fix-it fic I've read so far. Especially since it's written before S3 so that there is no mess with Mary, marriage, pregnancy or any of that.

It deals with John's anger in a really good way, I think. I can't really go into details as I don't want to spoil anything, but to me this fic has all the conversations Sherlock and John should have had. Everything floating around unspoken in S3 that makes everything so tense. I was also impressed with the nuanced and mature way the author handled it all (again: can't go into too much detail without spoilers).

Sounds awesome and it is a direct reference to the case of "Norwood Builder", I´ll check this one out.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 26, 2015 3:31 am  #1654

Has Oh What A Night been recc'd already?
It's not a fic per se but a comic of Johnlock fluff with funny little moments.

August 26, 2015 9:26 am  #1655

Lilythiell wrote:

I started reading it, and it looks really cute and lovely. Thanks for the rec!

Edit: And I just finished it. Well, the 5 pages I found, at least. That was so lovely! And hilarious!

Last edited by Vhanja (August 26, 2015 9:33 am)

Team Hudders!

August 26, 2015 9:39 am  #1656

That is so sweet
I loved the picture when John pics up Sherlock for the date, Sherlock has his curls done with pin curlers and stands in spot for two hours with those wonderful eyes....AAAAWWWWW!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 26, 2015 12:15 pm  #1657

Vhanja wrote:

Lilythiell wrote:

I started reading it, and it looks really cute and lovely. Thanks for the rec!

Edit: And I just finished it. Well, the 5 pages I found, at least. That was so lovely! And hilarious!

I think there are about 77 pages on tumblr and 25 pages on AO3, I hope you haven't missed any pages Vhanja

I love it, it's gorgeous. Hope there will more instalments soon!

August 26, 2015 12:17 pm  #1658

Lilythiell wrote:

Yes!  OWAN is fantastic.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 26, 2015 2:53 pm  #1659

ukaunz wrote:

I think there are about 77 pages on tumblr and 25 pages on AO3, I hope you haven't missed any pages Vhanja

I love it, it's gorgeous. Hope there will more instalments soon!

I don't know. It said 1 of 5 from the link you posted, and I read all the panels I saw posted on those five pages.

Team Hudders!

August 31, 2015 4:57 am  #1660

It looks like Oh, What a Night was updated today
http://archiveofourown.org/works/4112260?view_full_work=true

Board footera