BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2015 8:50 pm  #1521

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Just don´t make the mistake as I did and don´t read the sequel called "Apology". It literally turned my stomach.

Uhm, so John Watson misuses the emotionally conmpromised and vulnerable Sherlock and extorts him at first to strip and then he wants to punish him for TRF with enforced sex, knowing very well that Sherlock can´t say no in his current situation. Because apparently when you are the righteous John Watson, you can get away with rape just fine, it´s appropriate "repayment" for the lie that saved your life. Great. Just great.

Can´t imagine the author writing the same scenes with Mary in place of Sherlock - but obviously, if the victim of abuse is male, he is fair game.

Oh yes, John got it after a while that what he´s doing is wrong - but the damage was done already and I was fairly disgusted with the work as a whole. Also, the characters were quite OOC in this - this emo dishrag protagonist was in no way Sherlock and this robot with an empathy of a prison warden was in no way John Watson.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 10, 2015 8:53 pm  #1522

Thanks for the warning, nakahara 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 10, 2015 8:56 pm  #1523

Just had a look. 785 Kudos for this sh**? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 10, 2015 8:57 pm  #1524

Wow, that's not how I read it at all. The author explicity states in a comment that she doesn't like that kind of thing. But this might not be the thread for discussing fanfics, I guess.

I've never seen a fanfic that has so many fanfics written about it as this one, though.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 10, 2015 8:57 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 10, 2015 9:05 pm  #1525

Vhanja wrote:

Wow, that's not how I read it at all. The author explicity states in a comment that she doesn't like that kind of thing. But this might not be the thread for discussing fanfics, I guess.

I've never seen a fanfic that has so many fanfics written about it as this one, though.

Maybe it´s just me, of course. But really, I don´t remember being this disturbed by a fanfiction for a long time.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 10, 2015 9:10 pm  #1526

This is interesting. I think we can discuss it in here. 

My opinion is that I really do not like the attitude shown in this fic. It is an attitude held by some fans after series 3. They state that Sherlock has deserved to be punished over and over again, no matter what he has done to help and save others. And I really hate to read that in a Johnlock fic, especially in a sexual context. This John Watson is very OOC in my opinion. Not something I like to read. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 10, 2015 9:10 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 10, 2015 9:13 pm  #1527

One of the comments after the first chapter of Apology asked exactly if that was where she was going,

using sex as a way of punishment

. And she replied saying that she wasn't, she didn't like that herself. So that was never her intent. 

Also:

I think it's clear from John in the fic that he doesn't either. He starts by asking if Sherlock meant what he wrote and he was still up for it. Sherlock agreed, and wasn't really forced to do anything. John stopped the moment he saw that this was too much and apologized.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 10, 2015 9:15 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 10, 2015 9:16 pm  #1528

I think both are very much out of character, to an extent that I found it quite boring.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 11, 2015 12:16 am  #1529

nakahara wrote:

Just don´t make the mistake as I did and don´t read the sequel called "Apology". It literally turned my stomach. 

This is the sequel to Dear John?

I started Dear John and lasted 2 chapters. I found it boring.
Also can't fathom why the author felt it necessary to tell her readers that William was actually Sherlock. Twice. Twice she has that in the beginning. OK, OK, I got it.
But that's all right, it didn't interest me anyway. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

February 11, 2015 12:29 am  #1530

Vhanja wrote:

One of the comments after the first chapter of Apology asked exactly if that was where she was going,

using sex as a way of punishment

. And she replied saying that she wasn't, she didn't like that herself. So that was never her intent. 

Also:

I think it's clear from John in the fic that he doesn't either. He starts by asking if Sherlock meant what he wrote and he was still up for it. Sherlock agreed, and wasn't really forced to do anything. John stopped the moment he saw that this was too much and apologized.

Chapter 2 totally takes care of this.   

I enjoyed Dear John.  Taken as a whole it's not the greatest fic ever.  I think a great deal of the appeal was the excitment and anticipation of having the chapters posted in real time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 11, 2015 12:36 am  #1531

I'm a big fan of Dear John, absolutely loved it, got excited about every update. The Apology is... just not my cup of tea. It's just... I expected them to talk about it, sort themselves out, finally share a first kiss, gentle and emotional, you know? So, um... well. I don't know what to think about it, I guess I received the exact opposite of what I was expecting, but does that make it bad? No, definitely not.
And what was going on in the comments section of Dear John was extremely entertaining, I loved it, and I think it deserved the attention it got!

I don't know if there's been an update since I last looked, but there's no actual rape going on in The Apology, is there!? It's about control, perhaps humiliation? The stripping, John being extremely angry and rough and so on? I suppose it should have a dubcon warning, but I wouldn't generally reject it. Many people like it, it just doesn't work for me because I'm into extremely fluffy, romantic stuff. Personal opinion.

Last edited by Atiki (February 12, 2015 9:24 am)

February 11, 2015 9:25 am  #1532

Have you guys read the second chapter of Apology? That would answer a lot of your questions and worries.

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 9:35 am  #1533

Yes. But it is simply not my cup of tea. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 11, 2015 9:35 am)

February 11, 2015 11:58 am  #1534

Vhanja wrote:

Have you guys read the second chapter of Apology? That would answer a lot of your questions and worries.

Yes, and that's when my perception turned to "bored". So ooc.

February 11, 2015 12:08 pm  #1535

It's fine that you find the story boring or OOC, I was thinking more of those who were very upset with the happenings of chapter one and made what seems like conclusions based on that alone.

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 12:11 pm  #1536

I was both 

February 11, 2015 3:42 pm  #1537

Vhanja wrote:

I have read both chapters yesterday, but as I already wrote, the first chapter absolutely spoiled the rest of the story for me. Not only was it a very abrupt cut from quite nice "Dear John" into a dark dubcon, but I didn´t like the overall message of the story which was sexual exploitation presented as something acceptable.

"Exploitation is a kind of abuse or taking advantage of the vulnerability of others, taking advantage of an unpleasant situation someone is in. It involves unequal bargaining power being used to extract promissory claims from another so as to legitimise the unequal relationship of domination."

If John only tried to scare Sherlock a bit through his intimidating behaviour, if they only traded lie for a lie (and if Sherlock was his usual cheeky self), then I could maybe find it OK. But in the story they ended in bed - while under the circumstances described in the text it was very clear that Sherlock - weakened, emotionally compromised and finding himself at John´s mercy - was in no state to give his free consent to that in his current situation and John was taking advantage of him through emotional coercion. Sex consumated under such circumstances would border on rape. Thankfully they didn´t end there, still, it left unpleasant taste in my mouth. I really don´t think John would ever pray on Sherlock in that manner - he is no such a man and it would be under his dignity to force somebody into bed through such techniques. Also, Sherlock is a proud man - he would ask for John´s forgiveness, but in no way would he sell himself in such a pitiful way.

February 11, 2015 3:50 pm  #1538

Well, I read it very differently. And as I mentioned, what you read into it was not the author's intent. 

I don't see why it's something to discuss or be upset about, to be honest. It's just a fic. If you don't like it, don't give it kudos and move on to some other fic instead. I've read many fics I don't like, even stopped in the middle of a few of them not even able to finish them. But I've not come here to the board to dis a fic just because I don't like it.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 11, 2015 3:56 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 11, 2015 4:00 pm  #1539

Well, in my land we have a saying about the "hollow in the weeping willow" - the place into which you can whisper things that bothered you, so that they don´t dwell on your mind, suffocating you from inside.

I believe forums such as these are such "weeping willows" where I can discuss similar things with likeminded people. Or are we only allowed to speak about things we like?

February 11, 2015 4:08 pm  #1540

I thought it was an unspoken "rule" on this board not to talk down on specific fics. But maybe that was just for the other thread and it's accepted here. I just don't think it's a courteous thing to do. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera