BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2014 9:48 pm  #1301

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

Right, thanks, tonnaree! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 14, 2014 2:37 pm  #1302

tonnaree wrote:

Has anyone read either of these?

Crashing by drpepperdiva91
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1520189/chapters/3214265

or
The Moonlight and the Frost  by CaitlinFairchild
http://archiveofourown.org/works/1998777/chapters/4330881

I'm interested in both of them but would like to hear some outside opinions.

I've read the last one, finished it recently actually. It is complete but it seems like the author is planning a continuation eventually, maybe a trilogy, and there is indication of that at the end, but otherwise it is a finished story and I enjoyed it a lot. It's a good post-HLV Johnlock story 

-------------------------------------------------------

September 14, 2014 2:40 pm  #1303

I started reading it as well and really like it so far.

Not so sure about the first one though but that might be a matter of taste. It has some elements that are just not my cup of tea. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2014 4:38 am  #1304

tonnaree wrote:

So many fics.........................
Schmiezi, I read "Slashman" a couple of weeks ago.  It is brutal but I was very happy with the way it ended.  She does make you work for it though.

I have finished it just yesterday and feel like I should warn everyone: It does not really end. Like, there will (have to) be a third part that is already announced.

I still consider it to be one of the best fics I have ever read, even though it is tough to read.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/949101

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 17, 2014 7:09 pm  #1305

SusiGo wrote:

Not so sure about the first one though but that might be a matter of taste. It has some elements that are just not my cup of tea. 

Update: "The Moonlight and the Frost" is excellent. Full recommendation. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 17, 2014 7:19 pm  #1306

SusiGo wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Great to hear that Susi.  I'm on about page 40 of that one right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 17, 2014 7:23 pm  #1307

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Great to hear that Susi.  I'm on about page 40 of that one right now.

I am still busy with the last two chapters of "Damage" (which is increasingly brilliant), then I will join you with this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2014 9:09 pm  #1308

Finished The Moonlight and The Frost.

This was wonderful! There were two things I really appreciated. One was the voice she gave Sherlock. I could hear in my head, that combination of smartest man in the room and nervous child that is uniquely Sherlock. The other is the way she handled John's sexuality. His mixed emotions, just enough angst, his honest attraction to both men and women, it was all very believable to me. I so want him to be a happy bisexual!!

Hope she doesn't wait to long to add to this one!

Last edited by tonnaree (September 18, 2014 9:10 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 18, 2014 9:13 pm  #1309

Yes, I fully agree with you. It was one of few fics I have read in which John identifies as truly bisexual which is quite interesting and well handled IMO. And do not get me started on her Sherlock. Let the sequel come!

September 19, 2014 4:30 am  #1310

I have only half a chapter of Damage left, and I stopped reading yesterday so it won't be over too soon. But with the prospect of reading The Moonlight And The Frost afterwards, I think I can bring myself to finish Damage today.

October 3, 2014 1:10 pm  #1311

I finally finished Moonlight and Frost. It was pretty good, but she needed a beta in a few parts, just another pair of eyes.

You guys know about the Holmesie awards for best fics Fall 2014?  I found the list on mildredandbobbin's tumblr, had never heard of the awards, or of *any* of the winners. Anyway, here's a short one (best short fic winner)  I read today and enjoyed; technically it's pre-slash, but you'll get the idea.
34 Minutes by bendingsignpost
https://archiveofourown.org/works/334589

October 3, 2014 1:43 pm  #1312

Just recently read  "A Study In Auto-Signatures, Sniper Dolphins, and Sex Holidays by cwb.

So funny and sweet.  You had insecure Sherlock, BAMF John and evil Mary.  What more could one ask for.
I had had a bad week when I read it and it really made me smile.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 3, 2014 1:55 pm  #1313

Oh look!

SilentAuoror has a new one up.

Anyone Else by SilentAuror

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2390123

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 3, 2014 2:01 pm  #1314

tonnaree wrote:

Oh look!

SilentAuoror has a new one up.

Anyone Else by SilentAuror

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2390123

I have started reading it, and I must say that it starts as happy as TSoT ended. The emotions are captured wonderfully as always, I am just not sure I am in the right mood to read it right now.

October 3, 2014 2:51 pm  #1315

Alas, too much fic, too little time. I feel as if the fan fic world is passing me by..... if I had 24 hours a day to read, I still don't think I could read it all! An embarrassment of riches, for sure.

October 3, 2014 3:09 pm  #1316

"34 Minutes" is really nice. And brightens the mood. 

October 3, 2014 5:36 pm  #1317

Yes.  So many fics I want to read.  But what am I doing now?  Reading N&N for the 3rd time.  It's a comfort thing.  Silly as it sounds I find this fic very calming.  It makes me feel safe and warm.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 3, 2014 5:59 pm  #1318

Have you read the others by cwb as well? The dialogue series is nice as well. 

October 3, 2014 7:23 pm  #1319

I'll have to check that out Susi.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

October 3, 2014 7:39 pm  #1320

Board footera