BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2012 7:03 pm  #81

Re: Johnlock Fic Recs *warning - adult content*

SusiGo wrote:

Madlori's great. "Alone On The Water" just killed me.

Oh, I remember when I read "Alone on the Water" nearly a year ago, I just ignored the warning: "Bring tissues". I thought: Not ME! I'm NOT going to cry over a fanfic.
I couldn't have been more wrong...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 15, 2012 7:10 pm  #82

Oh, yes, it was terrible as is the fan vid that goes with it. Nearly as terrible as the last twenty minutes of Third Star …

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2012 7:12 pm  #83

SusiGo wrote:

Madlori's great. "Alone On The Water" just killed me.

I read a Johnlock fic last night where they were married and had a son-- Sherlock's biological son-- physically a little mini me of a curly-haired green-eyed (the author called it blue, but of course it's green, everyone knows that, lol) boy named Hamish Watson-Holmes. The kid got cancer and died at age 6. Yes, I cried. No, I did not come here and post a rec about it. I thought her Sherlock was kind of unlikeable-- she made a big point about his lack of social graces, his unwillingness to use speech to express love and caring, and John was kind of made the "mom" in the whole thing. I enjoyed the S/J relationship, in spite of all that-- there was plenty of love and caring and protectiveness there between the two men, even though most of it was non-verbal. And the little guy was a wonder-- Sherlock's genes and looks, but John's gentleness and caring-- typical nature/nurture stuff. If anyone wants to read this, let me know, and I'll put up a pointer. It's not spoilery to say here that the kid dies-- she says as much in her author's notes before you even start reading.

September 15, 2012 8:40 pm  #84

I'll give those a wide berth, then 

Thanks, ancientsgate, for shipping - no!!! - NAVIGATING, that is, us here safely along the shoals and reefs of the Johnlock Sea 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 15, 2012 9:08 pm  #85

Harriet wrote:

I'll give those a wide berth, then 

Thanks, ancientsgate, for shipping - no!!! - NAVIGATING, that is, us here safely along the shoals and reefs of the Johnlock Sea 

I'm just glad I'm not alone here! Thanks to everyone who discusses anything in this thread!

September 16, 2012 3:20 am  #86

Ooh I'm glad to find this thread!  It's hard to explain... when I watch the series I know Johnlock will never happen.  And I think if it did happen on screen it would be too weird.  But that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it, and it definitely doesn't mean I wouldn't read about it. I just love the characters so much that it's fun to imagine them loving each other.  I don't think about the show in terms of S/J being in love.  But while I wait for new episodes, some stories in which they ARE in love could be fun.  Does that make sense?

I used to read some HP slash, a LONG time ago, so I'm familiar with fanfics and slash in general.  I'm glad to have this thread to consult should the slash mood strike at some point!  I did post a Johnlock fanvid in the fanvid section here, it cracks me up and has lots of sexual tension and Sherlock looking gorgeous...  It's a guilty pleasure and I imagine some of the fics listed here will become guilty pleasures as well.  But I won't start reading tonight because I'm exhausted and I know if I start now I'll be up all night!  Please keep the recommendations coming, I look forward to checking them out!

I did read the fic in this post and I found it really cute and sweet.  I like that there's a relationship that is healthy and positive and helpful for John.

KeepersPrice wrote:

Here's a rather sweet little counterpoint to those epic, multi-chapter fics I've been staying up all night reading recently - losing ZZZZ's      You can read this one about the same amount of time you can eat a bag of crisps.

This author hasn't quite reached the mature writing style of a madlori, but she's (I'm assuming female) almost there. There's a lot of tenderness tucked into the two brief scenes.  The author doesn't reveal how they end up where they are in the second part - but I think it's part of the charm. Nothing major here - just some sweetness that left me with some nice little 'feels'.

http://miyazaki-a2.livejournal.com/6105.html

September 16, 2012 12:50 pm  #87

sherlockedkt wrote:

Ooh I'm glad to find this thread!  It's hard to explain... when I watch the series I know Johnlock will never happen.  And I think if it did happen on screen it would be too weird.  But that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it, and it definitely doesn't mean I wouldn't read about it. I just love the characters so much that it's fun to imagine them loving each other.  I don't think about the show in terms of S/J being in love.  But while I wait for new episodes, some stories in which they ARE in love could be fun.  Does that make sense?

Make sense! You have described my Sherlock life! *laugh*  Sure makes sense to me. I'm glad you found us.

I agree, I do not want to see Johnlock on screen. My biggest reason for that is that those men who write the show wouldn't handle it right (ie, they wouldn't handle it the way I would handle it). Too cringe-worthy, too apt to be weirdness personified. I'd rather the show be noromos (no romance of any kind-- slash, het, anything) involving Sherlock and John. I don't want to see John married to some woman either. *rolls eyes* I would like the two men to be friends, whether or not John stays on at 221B, and for the detective work and action/adventure to continue. Of course, few of us get what we want in this life..... heh

And again, welcome!

September 16, 2012 2:00 pm  #88

sherlockedkt wrote:

I don't think about the show in terms of S/J being in love.  But while I wait for new episodes, some stories in which they ARE in love could be fun.  Does that make sense?

Makes also a lot of sense here - you are not alone! I'm more or less new to the genre.

ancientsgate wrote:

I agree, I do not want to see Johnlock on screen. (...) I'd rather the show be noromos (no romance of any kind-- slash, het, anything) involving Sherlock and John. I don't want to see John married to some woman either. *rolls eyes* I would like the two men to be friends, whether or not John stays on at 221B, and for the detective work and action/adventure to continue.

Exactly like me. It would feel awkward and would exclude so much. And I don't care the relationship issue to be resolved. It's fine.

I liked the Sarah parts, though, she was sweet and courageous and all, and also the Christmas scenes with - wait a minute, was it - Jeanette?
Hmh, during my first ASiB sighting months ago I remember I said: But what happened to Sarah? He can't have dropped her!?!
(Only later I realised probably she dropped him. )

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 16, 2012 6:28 pm  #89

Yay!  Glad to be welcomed into the fold, as it were.  I totally agree about keeping romance out of the show.  It's perfect how it is and leaves lots of room for imagination, which I love.  Although I think it would be hysterical if for some reason John and Sherlock had to kiss or make it look like they were kissing or something, maybe to trick someone or to make it look like they weren't spying on someone, I dunno.  I just think it would be hilarious because all those Johnlock fanvid makers would EXPLODE and make millions of videos featuring that fake kiss, lol.  But no I do not want them to be romantically involved in the show, nor do I want John to get married!  Ugh.  I don't think he will though.

September 16, 2012 7:18 pm  #90

Harriet wrote:

...I liked the Sarah parts, though, she was sweet and courageous and all, and also the Christmas scenes with - wait a minute, was it - Jeanette?  Hmh, during my first ASiB sighting months ago I remember I said: But what happened to Sarah? He can't have dropped her!?! (Only later I realised probably she dropped him. )

Sarah was scared spitless after what happened to her the night John took her to that Chinese theater thing. Would you ever date a man again who had walked you right into a crazy life-threatening evening? She thought she was going to the theater (and as John told Sherlock, "You said theater-- this is ART!") and maybe out for Chinese. Instead she got hooligans and her life threatened and nightmares of the first order. I'm amazed she stayed around long enough to let John stay on her lilo that night, when John had that domestic with Sherlock!

I call Christmas Jeannette "Nobody", because that's what she told Sherlock when he was trying to remember her name. And god knows, she was exactly that. Nobody.

September 16, 2012 7:33 pm  #91

http://archiveofourown.org/works/244826

26 Pieces by Lanning
Rated Adult for explicit sex, violence, graphic torture scenes

OK, now in spite of the torture thing, I enjoyed this. Loved it, in fact. But I have no problems separating reality from fiction-- if you have a really vivid imagination, if you think on any level whatsoever that John and Sherlock are real people who are put in peril in the fic you read, this is not for you. But I see these things for what they are-- entertainment, like going to a movie. What's in this story is no more graphic or worse than what you'll see in the typical Tom Cruise action-adventure movie.

I thought this was well done. Ah, the love between these two. The protectiveness, coming off both of them in waves, aimed at the other. The "please don't go and die on me" desperation. The willingness to do anything to make sure the other is safe. And added to this, this was John the doctor, yes, but also John the *soldier*-- this John will take your breath away as he handles things. Whew. Hot stuff. Lucky Sherlock. Lucky John. I liked this one, but do heed the warnings, and if you're a nervous nellie, move on to the next one.

September 17, 2012 2:17 am  #92

Just read The Road Less Traveled, all in one go.  Really enjoyed it, although the last few chapters were a bit too much--too soppy--in my opinion.  But for the most part, I thought the characters were developed in tune with the show and I especially liked Lestrade in this story.  Sally was written well, too--what a jerk!  Mycroft's manipulations seemed an accurate portrayal as well.  The humor was well done, too, especially when it was from Sherlock's perspective.  Overall, I liked this a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 17, 2012 2:18 am  #93

KeepersPrice wrote:

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Just read the fic KeepersPrice mentioned on August 10, by lifeonmars, called Scrutiny.  I really enjoyed it and thought it was very well-written.  My favorite line was: "...are you trying to do your best impersonation of Anderson or did you remove the functional part of your brain without telling me?"

My favorite lines were: "There was a clear division: life before Sherlock, and life after Sherlock, and in John's head it's almost comically similar to the Wizard of Oz. The past is black and white; then, one tornado of a day, a forgotten cane, a dead cabbie. A door opens, brass letters: 221B. Boom. Technicolor.

I liked that bit of imagery.

Just read Scrutiny, and I have to say I love both of those lines.  The writing was awesome and I loved the story.  So cute and believable.  Here's one line that stood out to me: John felt that familiar, uncomfortable sensation that his own brain was treading through molasses while Sherlock's was breaking the sound barrier in wide circles around the both of them.  I have seen that look on John's face in the series several times, and it had the ring of truth for me. :D

Last edited by sherlockedkt (September 17, 2012 2:24 am)

September 17, 2012 2:52 am  #94

Has Darkling, I listen been recommended here yet? It's fricken brilliant. Not Johnlock at all but still great. And the world the author has created is complex and complete. I loved it. Read it all in one night.

Last edited by Wholocked (September 17, 2012 2:52 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 17, 2012 12:04 pm  #95

It is taking every OUNCE of self-control for me to go to work on this rainy Monday instead of taking the day off, sitting in bed, watching Sherlock and reading Johnlock fics.  I was up till after midnight reading PIALR last night.  The only thing keeping me going is that I'm wearing my "Sherlock" outfit today: purple button-down, dark pants, black boots.  Can't wait to get back home...

September 17, 2012 3:42 pm  #96

sherlockedkt wrote:

It is taking every OUNCE of self-control for me to go to work on this rainy Monday instead of taking the day off, sitting in bed, watching Sherlock and reading Johnlock fics.  I was up till after midnight reading PIALR last night.  The only thing keeping me going is that I'm wearing my "Sherlock" outfit today: purple button-down, dark pants, black boots.  Can't wait to get back home...

Oh, I know exactly how this feels! It was then when I decided that sleeping is booooring. I couldn't be at rest until I finished "Performance" (only to start reading it once more... )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 17, 2012 7:15 pm  #97

That four part series is fantastic, too. Sherlock is very..well..Sherlock!

http://archiveofourown.org/series/16496

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 17, 2012 7:38 pm  #98

Thanks, Ivy! Part 4 was already recommended here at the beginning, but only now with yours I realise it has 3 prequels.
Wow! 

Last edited by Harriet (September 17, 2012 7:39 pm)

September 17, 2012 7:48 pm  #99

Harriet wrote:

Thanks, Ivy! Part 4 was already recommended here at the beginning, but only now with yours I realise it has 3 prequels.
Wow! 

I love the 3. part, it's brilliant. Sherlock is sooo romantic, as expected. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 17, 2012 7:52 pm  #100

Thanks so much, another one to keep me from working. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera