BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2012 7:08 pm  #21

Re: Alive or Dead?

SandraNM wrote:

I think the writers/producers should NOT have let us know that Sherlock was still alive and unharmed at the end of episode 3 or season 2.

I was really surprised at that bit myself. I get that it might have caused a huge headache for everyone involved if they hadn't given the audience something to hold onto for the long hiatus, but it still seemed a bit too much of a tip off. It works beautifully in the scene, but I think it would have worked just as well without it. Though, I probably would have been one of the crazy folk wondering if it really was over til I heard about the 3rd series, so I guess I should be grateful.   

Last edited by harleyq (November 3, 2012 7:50 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 2, 2012 7:13 pm  #22

I understood it is to be a trilogy and Martin has to return to film a bit more...
But I don't EVER think they will film Sherlock without him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2012 7:13 pm  #23

I all agree with you, harleyq 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 2, 2012 9:22 pm  #24

The chemistry between Martin and Ben is just too good.

I didn't expect to see Sherlock at the end of TRF, but I can see where the writers and producers thought that some people might need that reassurance, especially if they weren't familiar with the canon. And, who knows, it might serve some purpose in Season 3 that we don't know about yet.

November 2, 2012 9:25 pm  #25

harleyq wrote:

SandraNM wrote:

I think the writers/producers should NOT have let us know that Sherlock was still alive and unharmed at the end of episode 3 or season 2.

I was really surprised at that bit myself. I get that it might have caused a huge headache for everyone involved of they hadn't given the audience something to hold onto for the long hiatus, but it still seemed a bit too much of a tip off. It works beautifully in the scene, but I think it would have worked just as well without it. Though, I probably would have been one of the crazy folk wondering if it really was over til I heard about the 3rd series, so I guess I should be grateful.   

At first I thought the same. But I think it's more interesting to figure out HOW he survived rather than DID he

besleybean wrote:

I understood it is to be a trilogy and Martin has to return to film a bit more...
But I don't EVER think they will film Sherlock without him.

They have had everything filmed Peter filmed so much that there was plenty for three. Just like LOTR, he originally filmed plenty and added an hour or more to each movie in the extended versions of the DVDs. So, there probably won't be much more to the extended Hobbit DVDs is my guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

November 2, 2012 9:30 pm  #26

But Martin has stated he does have to go back for a bit more filming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2012 11:40 pm  #27

The appearance of Sherlock at the end of TRF will not just be a reassurance to those not familiar with the canon but also I think for its dramatic effect for those people and in addition it immediately makes clear that the story has not finished and that more is to be anticipated. This is important for such a television series, otherwise viewers will just 'drop off' thinking that it was all finished. I know we know that I continues but this would not be obvious for everyone. The appearance of Sherlock is a hook for the next series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2012 8:33 am  #28

Though IMMEDIATELY after the airing of Reichenbach, Steven stated there was a 3rd series.

November 3, 2012 1:17 pm  #29

Yes but Sherlock's appearance is an emotional hook for the audience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 3, 2012 1:29 pm  #30

I guess and I do feel sorry for him, for what he's had to do...but our hearts go out to John at the graveside.

November 3, 2012 1:50 pm  #31

Ah yes, because we know Sherlock is alive but John doesn't.

Board footera