BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2013 7:45 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock: "I don't care what people think."

Yes when pressed, Sherlock used his deuctive skills to wotk it out, but he originally accidentally called her the wrong name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 11, 2013 8:00 pm  #42

Swanpride wrote:

It also explains to me Sherlock habit to sabotage John's relationships. It's not because he is in love with him, but because he doesn't really want to share "his" John. He doesn't want to be alone again.
=13px

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. 

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 11, 2013 8:07 pm  #43

besleybean wrote:

To him it was boring trivia.

Oh no, not really. Not if it was something related to John  It is all well for Sherlock not to know that Lestrade's name is Greg, but he knows that Lestrade's wife is sleeping with a teacher and that John's sister is still drinking. He is also perfectly capable to itemise all John's girlfriends (which is really naughty when done in front of his PRESENT girlfriend).
However, the most hilarious "jealous" Sherlock moment for me is in the beginning of TGG when John walks out of the apartment leaving Sherlock oh-so-disappointed and stalking John through the window with the expression of a sullen boy on his face.

February 11, 2013 8:12 pm  #44

Oh I don't think that's jealousy at all, I think it's a kind of regret.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 12, 2013 7:48 am  #45

I loved that scene, sulky Sherlock is the best Sherlock. I don't think he truly sabotages John's relationships because that would imply malicious intent. And whilst Sherlock has done some terrible things to John it has, so far, to my recollection, never been with any sort of malice. It has always been for some 'higher purpose.'

I actually think, if he is trying to get rid of some of them, then he's just weeding out the ones who wouldn't be able to cope with John's livelihood... and I don't mean the one as a locum doctor either. The first 'girlfriend' proved to be a liability. First date and she ends up getting kidnapped and nearly killed along with John.

In short the c**k blocking is either unintentional or Sherlock has what he thinks is a justified motive for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

February 12, 2013 8:17 am  #46

I do agree that Sherlock does not do it with malicious intents, he just wants to have John all for himself... he needs him and he doesn't want to share him neither with his sister nor with the girlfriends. And he usually takes him for granted, that's why these scenes when John draws the line (GG, HoB) are so hilarious
However, I think it could change a bit in the third series, I expect Sherlock become a bit more mature after what he has experienced in the 2 series. It would be nice to see Mary Marston brought in to the picture (wait, didn't they say "wedding" is one of the key words for the series 3?) 

February 12, 2013 10:28 am  #47

miriel68 wrote:

I do agree that Sherlock does not do it with malicious intents, he just wants to have John all for himself... he needs him and he doesn't want to share him neither with his sister nor with the girlfriends. And he usually takes him for granted, that's why these scenes when John draws the line (GG, HoB) are so hilarious
However, I think it could change a bit in the third series, I expect Sherlock become a bit more mature after what he has experienced in the 2 series. It would be nice to see Mary Marston brought in to the picture (wait, didn't they say "wedding" is one of the key words for the series 3?) 

Not to mention the fact that I very much doubt that John will be understanding of Sherlock's return, at all. I reckon that a large part of it will be about Sherlock regaining his friends trust.

And I forgot about Sarah bopping that guy on the head. Hilarious.

To me the idea of Sherlock intentionally getting rid of John's girlfriends was a rather big 'if' anyway. I always saw it in the context of the show as being comic relief. Sherlock is so engrossed in his work and his need to involve John in that work that it comes at the cost of all else, including John's social life. Food and sleep also become casualties when Sherlock goes to war.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 12, 2013 11:06 am  #48

Mnemosyne wrote:

Sherlock is so engrossed in his work and his need to involve John in that work that it comes at the cost of all else, including John's social life. Food and sleep also become casualties when Sherlock goes to war.

This is an excellent point. I see lots of things that would be a normal part of human existance becoming essentially unimportant when Sherlock has wrapped his mind around some puzzle. Eating and sleeping as you mentioned and poor John had to live through in TBB, but also other things as well. I think that is why Sherlock has no real concept or interest in romance. It is something that would get in the way of the work and that is all he care about. It has never really been hinted at but perhaps other activities take a hit when he is engrossed. He doesn't eat or sleep, perhaps he doesn't bath either. Doesn't he tend to wear the same clothing over the course of a puzzle erm I mean case?

Last edited by AliceI (February 12, 2013 11:07 am)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 12, 2013 12:00 pm  #49

AliceI wrote:

Mnemosyne wrote:

Sherlock is so engrossed in his work and his need to involve John in that work that it comes at the cost of all else, including John's social life. Food and sleep also become casualties when Sherlock goes to war.

This is an excellent point. I see lots of things that would be a normal part of human existance becoming essentially unimportant when Sherlock has wrapped his mind around some puzzle. Eating and sleeping as you mentioned and poor John had to live through in TBB, but also other things as well. I think that is why Sherlock has no real concept or interest in romance. It is something that would get in the way of the work and that is all he care about. It has never really been hinted at but perhaps other activities take a hit when he is engrossed. He doesn't eat or sleep, perhaps he doesn't bath either. Doesn't he tend to wear the same clothing over the course of a puzzle erm I mean case?

I'm pretty sure (and more knowledgable Sherlockians correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm pretty sure canon Holmes was pretty clean as a person. But I can imagine that there are many small habits and social niceties that get thrown out of the window in the face of his work. In fact the most decrpid state we see him in (in terms of personal appearance anyway) was when he was bored. That's when Sherlock is consumed by a rather black mood and this is reflected in his appearance. 

Sometimes I think the 'same clothes over the course of a case' thing might be production values rather than a character choice... Although with some cases I can readily imagine a shower being necessary at the end (oh god can I imagine that!)

February 12, 2013 6:03 pm  #50

Well, in any case he is always perfectly shaved  If he remembers to shave, even in the middle of a case, I suppose taking shower would be a part of routine, as well.

February 12, 2013 6:51 pm  #51

And always suitable and clean shoes and a well-ironed shirt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 12, 2013 9:14 pm  #52

I wonder who is ironing his shirts.... Watson or Ms Hudson (I am not your house-keeper)? 

February 12, 2013 9:16 pm  #53

My money's on Mrs H.

February 12, 2013 10:39 pm  #54

Oh. I reckon the ex-serviceman will be really good at ironing shirts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 13, 2013 6:52 am  #55

I agree.  But I think he may only do his own!

April 8, 2013 1:40 pm  #56

The quote "I don't care what people think" comes up in TRF and is about Sherlock and his reputation and wether it is important to him how he is seen in the eyes of the public. We should probably draw a distinction between internal and external perception.

I think for Sherlock the case, the truth and science are important. As long as Sherlock himself knows that he has found the truth everything else is "transport" or not important.

His relationship with John is something else. John doesn't fit into the cathegory "people". I think Sherlock identifies with John totally and regards him as expansion of himself (phone in his own pocket ; without boundaries ...) In ASiP Sherlock protects John at the end and even sacrifices his own deductions and skills (what people think) when he tells Lestade that he is in shock and has a blanket.

At the end of TBB when he talks to Dimmock and in the beginning of TRF Sherlock has no interest in being seen as the great detective. He likes to stay in the background. In TRF he plays ordinary Sherlock to win in the end. He can easily live with a Moriarty who thinks he has won. If you think it through it is rather a fantastic character trait allowing Moriarty to finish his game and to die happily.

But on the other hand it is highly important for Sherlock how he sees himself: He is very self-aware and self-critical. He is aware that most people tell him to piss of. He can laugh about that, which is adorable.
He even calls himself stupid in ASiP. He knows that he can make mistakes. "There is always something".  That's why he has to know whether he has picked the good pill. He has to know it because of his internal perception. To doubt his own ability or sanity is the most frightening thing as we see in "Hounds".

April 10, 2013 4:47 pm  #57

re the pill-he does say afterwards that he lost track of which it was (is that in the unaired pilot or the real series? Can't remember). But it seems plausible to me that he actually couldn't be sure he'd picked the correct pill.

I think he is also often quite distracted. With the warrior and the stangulation he's already off on another mission so he's not really concentrating on what John says.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

May 19, 2013 10:26 pm  #58

flielpMoize wrote:

Hello everyone! Today to discuss the Global Forum for high-quality shoes.

Ah, Moriarty's an expert on that issue. I think he could make a nice pair of human skin shoes in a high-quality. Though, if you don't stop trolling, somebody else will make you into shoes 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 20, 2013 2:12 am  #59

Mary Me wrote:

flielpMoize wrote:

Hello everyone! Today to discuss the Global Forum for high-quality shoes.

Ah, Moriarty's an expert on that issue. I think he could make a nice pair of human skin shoes in a high-quality. Though, if you don't stop trolling, somebody else will make you into shoes 

Lol!!  Great job, using the (only) perfect retort to that!       
(I was wondering what was up with the shoe thing.....    sheesh... some hopeful-flunkeys-for-hire do anything to get Moriarty to notice them  ;))

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 20, 2013 6:23 am  #60

Must ave spent hours posting them what a dummy!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera