BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2012 12:10 am  #1

Your Favourite Fan Mockups/Photoshops

So there's absolutely tons of hilarious fan-made stuff out there. I saw this one on Facebook tonight and decided it might be cool to start a thread for these types of things:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 3, 2012 12:14 am  #2

Re: Your Favourite Fan Mockups/Photoshops

And a more serious one:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 3, 2012 12:16 am  #3

August 3, 2012 4:19 am  #4

Wonderful, SH!
Just a general question: Is it ok to post pictures we found somewhere on the internet? Is this considered theft or copyright infringement? Will specifying the source be sufficient? Or do I take this too seriously?

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 3, 2012 8:29 am  #5

Hi tobe,
we had that question in another forum I'm in, and they said you have to put in the link to make it "safe", not only the picture. E.g. I got a funny picture as email from a colleague and posted it in that forum. As I couldn't give the link where it originally came from they deleted it.
When posting here I always copy the address of the pic and put it in here. But you can only see the pic, not the link, so I am not sure either...... 
I know it is forbidden to use any picture from the www to sell something on ebay. You need to take an own picture then. But here it's only showing, so.......?
(Yesterday I found some fanfic where it was noted "please don't copy and show anywhere else!", so I didn't.

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 3, 2012 8:32 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 3, 2012 11:19 am  #6

Ahem, what is the story with "And a more serious one"

I don't quite get it?! Looks awesome though - what do the words refer to?

August 3, 2012 11:46 am  #7

To answer the copyright queries, you should be concerned & watchful as to what you copy & from where.
Each country has its own laws governing copyright & usually on forums the laws that pertain to this would be those of the country/state that the site owners are based.
Broadly speaking, if you take away possible income from the source (eg post a pic that others are paying to reproduce) then you can certainly be in trouble. Always take the time to check for copyright links or the copyright symbol. Definitely pics etc with watermarks across them are copyrighted & seeing as the owner took the time to put these on, I wouldn't be copying them at all.
I often post pics & add a link if it from a site with a story attached. This won't cover me for being sued if the site owner objects at all & so I am choosy and don't over do it. Often it gives the site more traffic which is money in their pockets anyway.
As for pics that have been made on tumblr sites, facebook, etc (fan made pics mainly) it's a grey area. Where did they get the original pics from? Perhaps they photoshopped a copyrighted image?
Some private users get very irate if you take their work & post it without a link acknowledging the source. Some don't like you copying their work at all. The worst thing people can do is to copy something froma site who have taken time to put their 'name' across the top/bottom or somewhere on the page/pic & you take it & cut that reference off; very bad manners & you will be caught out as 'everyone' sees 'everything' posted eventually.

Many people take pride in their 'art' & take a lot of time doing it, it's one of their 'babies' so be very aware of what you 'take'.
Use common sense, ask the owner if you are not sure & be ready to defend yourself if you do it often.

*This is not professional advice,  is certainly nowhere near exhaustive & each user should investigate the laws pertaining to copyright for themselves to become more responsible users of the internet.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 3, 2012 1:08 pm  #8

The Doctor wrote:

Ahem, what is the story with "And a more serious one"

I don't quite get it?! Looks awesome though - what do the words refer to?

It's from the scene on the graveyard where we all get to know that Sherlock is still alive although everyone thinks he must be dead.
Does this help as a hint to understand? At least how I understand it...

August 3, 2012 1:23 pm  #9

kazza474 wrote:

To answer the copyright queries, you should be concerned & watchful as to what you copy & from where.
Each country has its own laws governing copyright & usually on forums the laws that pertain to this would be those of the country/state that the site owners are based.
Broadly speaking, if you take away possible income from the source (eg post a pic that others are paying to reproduce) then you can certainly be in trouble. Always take the time to check for copyright links or the copyright symbol. Definitely pics etc with watermarks across them are copyrighted & seeing as the owner took the time to put these on, I wouldn't be copying them at all.
I often post pics & add a link if it from a site with a story attached. This won't cover me for being sued if the site owner objects at all & so I am choosy and don't over do it. Often it gives the site more traffic which is money in their pockets anyway.
As for pics that have been made on tumblr sites, facebook, etc (fan made pics mainly) it's a grey area. Where did they get the original pics from? Perhaps they photoshopped a copyrighted image?
Some private users get very irate if you take their work & post it without a link acknowledging the source. Some don't like you copying their work at all. The worst thing people can do is to copy something froma site who have taken time to put their 'name' across the top/bottom or somewhere on the page/pic & you take it & cut that reference off; very bad manners & you will be caught out as 'everyone' sees 'everything' posted eventually.

Many people take pride in their 'art' & take a lot of time doing it, it's one of their 'babies' so be very aware of what you 'take'.
Use common sense, ask the owner if you are not sure & be ready to defend yourself if you do it often.

*This is not professional advice,  is certainly nowhere near exhaustive & each user should investigate the laws pertaining to copyright for themselves to become more responsible users of the internet.

Thanks, Kazza, for your explanations.
I hope that I won't get into trouble with the BBC by keeping on posting stills from the episodes. Well, if they would know how much money they already earned on selling their DVDs to me (all the copies I would give away to my family and friends for birthdays etc) they'd pin a medal on me…!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 7, 2012 5:31 pm  #10

I really think the BBC have better things to do than chase after a few fans who like to take pictures from the show and post them on their own websites or mess around with them. (ie. Make amazing programmes).

But just on the off chance that someone out there cares and is watching. Disclaimer - I get all these images off Tumblr and Facebook...I haven't made any of them myself, so go sue someone else. 

August 10, 2012 11:05 pm  #11

but internet is worldwide--So  pics without watermarks  or signatures on them should be ok for you to alternate it with text messages, right?  Is that a grey area too?  Also,  I do know that pics on deviantart.com  shouldn't be tampered with or posted elsewhere. 

Question...HOW does an artist KNOW  if their image has been pilferered, or swiped, for use on another site by another fan?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 13, 2012 1:41 pm  #12

If it is stolen the artist's soul fades a little each time it happens. Intellectual copyright so people shouldn't do it.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 18, 2012 8:52 pm  #13

August 18, 2012 8:56 pm  #14

August 19, 2012 9:22 pm  #15

Oh my God, this cracked me up so much:

August 19, 2012 9:30 pm  #16

Oh, this is great, would love to see these signs instead of the boring ones we've got over here  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 19, 2012 10:28 pm  #17

This is an idea for another game around here. Find/create Sherlock signs... 
Those are really great!

August 23, 2012 11:26 am  #18

Yes, I've been trawling around the interweb looking for Sherlock funnies, hope you enjoy...

Martin checking out Tumblr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 24, 2012 12:21 am  #19

Oh man there is so much funny stuff floating around on Tumblr. Lots of talented and amazing stuff as well. If you really wanna go all out fan, sign up for Tumblr and track the #Sherlock tags. I got hooked pretty quick!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

August 24, 2012 2:00 am  #20

Seeing that no-one else has posted it yet, here is one of my Top Ten faves

Last edited by The Doctor (August 24, 2012 2:03 am)

Board footera