BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2012 2:01 pm  #21

Re: Mycrofts sexuality

I don't know if Mycroft is gay or not, but I think he is married. I rewatched a study in pink and the Scandal, and I noticed he wears a wedding ring in both the episods.

October 5, 2012 6:06 pm  #22

Mark has stated he thinks Mycroft is gay.
I think Mycroft normally wears his ring on the other hand...maybe a wardrobe mistake, if it's been left on the wedding finger!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 6:45 pm  #23

Clearing up a confusion. In the UK wedding rings are generally worn on the third finger left hand. Gay couples often wear their wedding rings on the third finger right hand. On the continent wedding rings are generally worn on the third finger right hand. All a bit confusing really!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 6:50 pm  #24

I didn't know any UK gays used the continental method!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2012 8:17 am  #25

I see the joke as childish double entendre, not a real comment about his sexuality. A cheap shot at his brother. Can't resist a good pun!
But as for Mycroft, I'm not sure. Havent seen him interact with others enough. I suspect he is in a relationship, as he is far more worldly.

December 21, 2012 12:01 pm  #26

remember Mycroft´s sexy PAs..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

December 21, 2012 1:03 pm  #27

Mrs.Wenceslas wrote:

remember Mycroft´s sexy PAs..

I'm only aware of one PA: sleepy "Anthea".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 21, 2012 6:49 pm  #28

I found her to be rather annoying and unnecessary. Other than to give John someone to flirt with unsuccessfully.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 21, 2012 6:54 pm  #29

Quite.

December 21, 2012 6:57 pm  #30

harleyq wrote:

I found her to be rather annoying and unnecessary. Other than to give John someone to flirt with unsuccessfully.

And she gave Mycroft the cue to his epic five final words in PINK: "Who's status?"
"Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson."
Hey - this one ALWAYS gets me!

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 21, 2012 8:18 pm  #31

I think Anthea's mysterious. I kind of like her. But she doesn't seem of personal importance to Mycroft.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 30, 2012 3:49 am  #32

In the US, many gay folks wear their wedding rings on the right hand, vowing to only change them to the left when gay marriage becomes legal in the US as a nation. Some wear their rings on the left as well. I always assumed those were Mark's rings that Mycroft wears, but the fact that he left them on must mean something-- nothing happens on that show by accident, it seems. Could be that Mycroft is married. I vote for gay. It would be delish to be given some Mycroft backstory eventually-- I think he's fascinating.

December 30, 2012 3:52 am  #33

harleyq wrote:

I found her [Anthea]  to be rather annoying and unnecessary. Other than to give John someone to flirt with unsuccessfully.

I think small parts like hers fill in the background of any story. Of course she's unnecessary, but you could say that about Donovan as well, I suppose. Anthea also inserts some humor into the production, with her face always in her smart phone and her total disregard for anything John Watson, lol.

December 30, 2012 8:21 am  #34

I'm sure I must have said this already.  But can I just repeat: Mark has said in interview he considers Mycroft to be gay...but the ring thing does give us something to wonder about!  Mycroft appears to live alone.

December 30, 2012 12:45 pm  #35

And may also give added body to the ' caring is not an advantage ' thing.
Or, the ring could have belonged to a departed parent.

May 22, 2013 8:17 pm  #36

In France, gay men (when in couple) usually wears a ring on their right ring finger.

Anyway, that scene in French is even less subtle (as very few people know about the other meaning of Queen):

"Est-ce qu'on est là pour voir la Reine?" (are we here to see the queen?)
"Oui, la reines des folles!"

>> "folle" literaly means "mad" (for a woman), but it's also a slang word for "poof", it's a very pejorative word to call a gay man (most of the times, this word applies to gay men who really do not act like men are believed to act, you know, gay men that are a bit excentric, wear pink...etc) so calling Mycroft "La reine des folles" (Queen of the pooftahs) is really worse than calling him just "queen" I think.

Funny thing though is that I saw French people complaining about the french dubbing, saying it was absolutely awful, and quoting this example: they didn't even understand the double meaning in English, they thought John and Sherlock were just laughing because Mycroft arrived when they thought they were waiting for the Queen (the real queen). I mean, they didn't even get the gay allusion in English and so they don't understand at all why it has been translated into "Reine des folles", mwuahahaha! :-D

Just like old times...

May 22, 2013 9:37 pm  #37

Punch me in the face wrote:

In France, gay men (when in couple) usually wears a ring on their right ring finger.

In Germany, almost every married man wears a ring on his right ring finger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 23, 2013 12:46 am  #38

Mary Me wrote:

Punch me in the face wrote:

In Germany, almost every married man wears a ring on his right ring finger.

Here in the States, married people wear rings on the left. Gay couples, married or "civil unioned" or otherwise formally joined, legally or not, do what they want with rings; some wear them on the right because they don't feel they're equal with the hets who have legal marriage status, some wear them on the left because by god, as far as they're concerned, they're as "married" as anyone else. But straight folks always wear theirs on the left.

Here in the States, as long as the DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) remains federal law, our situation as it stands for gay couples will be hopelessly mired down and confusing. There are more and more individual states that are legalizing marriage now (including mine, thank god), but until the federal gov't (notably, the Supreme Court) stops treating it like a political third rail (fall on it and DIE!), things will remain iffy at best, legally, for all the gay folks who want equality.

May 23, 2013 5:59 am  #39

And for all of us who want equality for all.

May 23, 2013 7:06 am  #40

There are a lot of very interesting questions about Mycroft, most of them have to do with his and Sherlock's family background and the mystery surrounding why Mycroft had to "play mother" during Sherlock's childhood.  The other question is about whether he is Sherlock's superior in the government work, since it seems fairly obvious Sherlock works for the government as a contract agent.

I never wondered about Mycroft's sexual preference.  I'm not sure how it would be relevant to any storylines.  I did read that Mr. Gatiss is deliberately making that ring on his right hand noticeable.  I am thinking it belonged to Mycroft's father, perhaps.  Laying some groundwork for future revelations, I believe.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (May 23, 2013 7:07 am)

Board footera