BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2012 12:32 pm  #1

Sherlock's deerstalker hat

An article about where Sherlock Holmes' popular image came from. Again link won't work directly but you can search for Sherlock Holmes and you will easily find the article.

www.smithsonianmag.com/design/2012/07/where-sherlock-holmes-popular-image-came-from/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 1, 2012 12:53 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock's deerstalker hat

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 1, 2012 2:16 pm  #3

Very interesting article.  It would be great if that could be a traveling exhibition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 1, 2012 8:48 pm  #4

Nice article. Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 2, 2012 3:18 am  #5

I saw a cringe-worthy interview of Ben on a talk show (I'm sure you can find it on YouTube). The two hosts, a man and a woman, gave him a pipe and a death frisbee from the Sherlock Homes museum or someplace. Ben was very gracious about declining to put on the hat (no John to tell him to do it), saying that it was a small and wouldn't fit.

August 4, 2012 6:59 pm  #6

Yeah, they really are rather uncool items of headwear.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 20, 2012 6:41 am  #7

I don't think Holmes ever wore a deerstalker or an inverness cape in the canon or used a twisted pipe. I believe the latter was invented during the Basil Rathbone films. The elaborate pipe was to hide his large nose.

The hatred of Sherlock in the series for the hat may be a bit of a jab at the popular misconception of Holmes.

Last edited by Lupin (August 20, 2012 10:05 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

August 20, 2012 7:30 am  #8

Lupin wrote:

The hatred of Sherlock in the series for the hat may be a bit of a jab at the popular misconception of Holmes.

Indeed, that is how I understood it!

"Sherlock’s unmistakeable deerstalker hat, for example, was never mentioned in the printed words of the Holmes books. When Sidney Paget illustrated Doyle’s story, The Boscombe Valley Mystery, for publication in The Strand Magazine in 1891, he gave Sherlock a deerstalker hat and an Inverness cape, and the look was forevermore a must for distinguished detectives—so much so that while the deerstalker was originally meant to be worn by hunters (hence the name), the hat now connotes detective work, even without a detective’s head inside it."

August 20, 2012 7:33 am  #9

And he's absolutely right in hating it. I think the hat's to quote Benedict f****** atrocious  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2012 3:07 am  #10

Lupin wrote:

I don't think Holmes ever wore a deerstalker or an inverness cape in the canon or used a twisted pipe. I believe the latter was invented during the Basil Rathbone films. The elaborate pipe was to hide his large nose.

The use of the meershaum pipe is attributed to William Gillette, who was the first significant actor to portray Sherlock Holmes in the play "Sherlock Holmes" back in 1899. He allegedly said he used that type of pipe because it would allow him to smoke in character but not hide his mouth. He co-wrote the play with Conan Doyle and is the one who came up with the line, "It's elementary, my dear Watson." He also wore the deerstalker and the inverness cape.

September 6, 2012 4:41 pm  #11

I just stumbled upon this quote from "The Silver Blaze" which somehow rings a bell  :

"... while Sherlock Holmes, with his sharp, eager face framed in his ear-flapped travelling cap …"

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera