BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2012 12:15 pm  #1

Doyle's Puckish Sideline

A great little article about the fun that ACD had with the Sherlock Holmes stories. Particular reference to cases mentioned but for which we are never given great detail or elucidation.

www.rutlandherald.com/article/20120801/OPINION03/708019953

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 1, 2012 8:47 pm  #2

Re: Doyle's Puckish Sideline

Like the Vatican Cameos. 

Anyone know where you can get a list of all the unpublished cases?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 1, 2012 9:23 pm  #3

It's on this forum I think. Kazza posted it ages ago. I assume it's in this section somewhere. Yep just checked posted back in March- a list of major case references.

Last edited by Davina (August 1, 2012 9:26 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 1, 2012 9:46 pm  #4

Cervantes had that sort of fun with his levels of reality in Don Quixote, I think, especially when referencing the apocryphal sequel that preceded his second book.

Lovecraft referenced the Necronomicon a lot, though it was a fictional device of his, even mentioning people finding copies in old libraries and such around the world.

I like ACD a lot for how he explored his storytelling abilities in A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear. The second parts to both novels are beautifully and poignantly written.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

Board footera