BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2012 6:35 pm  #101

Re: Favourite Martin pics

I assume that the hair style is meant to go along with the vaguely 30's mood of the photo shoot.  Heaven forbid that the "wet look" should ever actually come back!

Added later:  Of course it's mod (not 30's) -- that's what the article says, so that must be what was intended.  However, the popular image of "mod" here in the US was a much different style, very flamboyant, so I failed to make the connection.  I wish I'd just said "retro" in the first place!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 4, 2012 4:31 am)

November 2, 2012 6:46 pm  #102

30s?  60s, I would have thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2012 6:56 pm  #103

besleybean wrote:

30s?  60s, I would have thought.

Gangster look. 20s, 30s, 40s.
The 60s brought us Beatles haircuts, afros, and long hair of all sorts.

November 2, 2012 6:59 pm  #104

Surely these are MOD images?  60s.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2012 7:17 pm  #105

besleybean wrote:

Surely these are MOD images?  60s.

Yeah, late 50s to mid-60s.

November 4, 2012 3:01 am  #106

Of course it's mod (not 30's) -- that's what the article says, so that must be what was intended.  However, the popular image of "mod" here in the US was a much different style, very flamboyant, so I failed to make the connection.  I wish I'd just said "retro" in the first place!

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 4, 2012 4:33 am)

November 4, 2012 10:33 am  #107

The mods started here in the early 60s as an opposite to the 'Rockers'. Although at times they wore flambouyant gear (shirts with ruffles were big) mostly they wore highly tailored suits, shirts, ties and had short hair, as distinct from 'Rockers' who had long hair and wore jeans and casual gear. Think early Beatles and you won't go far wrong. The Mods would also have large scooter rallies and the classic item of clothing then would have been a khaki parka coat. The other typically Mod symbol would be the bullseye. Quadrophrenia is a Mod movie (with Phil Davis- the cabbie in ASiP) and The Who. The Mod fashion continued into the 1970's 1980's and beyond. Girls wore tailored skirts, dresses and blouses. Mod fashion peaked in the mid to late 60s. Martin's porkpie hat is an archetypal Mod item. For more information than you will probably want to know:

www.modrevival.net

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(subculture)
For this link you then need to scroll down until you see Mod (subculture) and then click.

www.themodgeneration.co.uk

Last edited by Davina (November 4, 2012 10:36 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 4, 2012 11:19 am  #108

Not. Buying. It.

I like the concept but the execution is appalling!

*wanders off to her mind attic and imagines Martin Freeman in Mod outfits and settings that work*

November 4, 2012 11:21 am  #109

They work on me.

November 4, 2012 1:04 pm  #110

I would agree with you doc that although some aspects of 'the shoot' are Mod(ish), overall it does miss the mark. The hair slicked back is one...looks more like a Teddy Boy without a quif.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 4, 2012 7:55 pm  #111

Davina wrote:

The mods started here in the early 60s as an opposite to the 'Rockers'. Although at times they wore flambouyant gear (shirts with ruffles were big) mostly they wore highly tailored suits, shirts, ties and had short hair.... Martin's porkpie hat is an archetypal Mod item.

Thank you, Davina.  I shall now compound my display of ignorance --

What is that sort of chartreuse-and-orange paisley look from the late 60's?  (I'm afraid that's the first thing that pops into my mind when someone says "mod"!)

When you refer to "Martin's porkpie hat" are you talking about the blue one that he wore at Comic Con?

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 4, 2012 8:08 pm)

November 4, 2012 8:01 pm  #112

The hat is the one in the photo shoot.
I think what you describe can be moddish.

November 4, 2012 9:53 pm  #113

Isn't the hat in that last photo more of a fedora?

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 4, 2012 10:34 pm)

November 4, 2012 9:55 pm  #114

I think one is the UK name and one the U.S, not sure....

November 4, 2012 10:00 pm  #115

Davina wrote:

I would agree with you doc that although some aspects of 'the shoot' are Mod(ish), overall it does miss the mark. The hair slicked back is one...looks more like a Teddy Boy without a quif.

Isn't there a line in the Beatles movie "A Hard Day's Night" about someone whom they called a "mocker"? A mix of a mod and a rocker. I forget which Beatle delivered that line, but probably John Lennon-- sounds like him, anyway. ***editing this later--- I think the line was Ringo's....gee, that was a long time ago, lol****

I think these pics of Martin are dreadful. ???  But then, I don't usually "get" art, so...

Last edited by ancientsgate (November 7, 2012 5:11 pm)

November 4, 2012 10:00 pm  #116

No it's not a fedora. They look pretty similar but a fedora has a much bigger brim than a pork pie hat. Think Warren Beatty in Bonnie and Clyde, he wears a white fedora. A pork pie hat is like the hats worn by the Blues Brothers (if that helps).

Last edited by Davina (November 4, 2012 10:01 pm)

November 4, 2012 10:16 pm  #117

Yes, I realize that a basic fedora has a somewhat wider brim that curves up a bit.  I had to look up porkpie in the dictionary, but it says that they have a flat crown, not a creased one.  So it doesn't seem to be precisely either style.  Maybe he's wearing a porkora?  Or a fedpie?

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (November 5, 2012 12:00 am)

November 5, 2012 7:22 am  #118

November 7, 2012 8:43 am  #119

Martin Freeman in Wild Target

Last edited by Sherly (November 7, 2012 8:46 am)

November 7, 2012 9:27 am  #120

Is it okay if I say that when I see him with this slicked-back hair, I think it makes him look like a used car salesman? lololol  I guess I got used to seeing him with his Watson hair, and this other....thing.... is just dreadful (to me).

Board footera