BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2016 2:25 pm  #2601

Re: Favourite Martin pics

I find them quite boring in this particular setting, but maybe that's just me. I think they could have casted a Mary with whom Martin interacts in a more sparcly way.
@ancient, let's hold up hope till S4, shall we? Hand in hand? It's always two of them after all.

Last edited by mrshouse (February 20, 2016 6:35 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 20, 2016 2:30 pm  #2602

Oh they're a team of three, now,according to that latest interview!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 20, 2016 2:34 pm  #2603

I won't lose faith till S4 that they won't derail from canon in such a soapy, CSI manner. 

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 20, 2016 2:36 pm  #2604

Is Johnlock soapy?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 20, 2016 2:39 pm  #2605

My main aim is to concentrate on the wonderful chemistry of Ben and Martin, in which way ever it will turn out. No third parties.

February 20, 2016 3:07 pm  #2606

After all, mrshouse, "It's always two of us!" 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 20, 2016 3:15 pm  #2607

Exactly. It's called "Sherlock Holmes". 

February 20, 2016 9:37 pm  #2608

ancientsgate wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I can't help thinking, professional or no, how that must feel playing scenes like that when they are a couple in real life. How does it feel to have your actual partner look at you like that? Of course Amanda knows it's acting, but I'm still wondering about how that must feel.

I thought it was odd that TPTB cast her in the Mary role to start with. I really never quite forget that she's Martin's RL SO when I ever see them together on-screen.  It throws me out of the story, every time. And now apparently we're going to be stuck with the Mary character from now until eternity, so I guess I better get used to it.

One word: NEPOTISM! (of a big kind)
If you want to prove why such thing is bad for a show, don´t look any further.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 20, 2016 9:40 pm  #2609

I think all of the BBC Sherlock actors are talented and perform well in the show.
Amanda was always the obvious choice for Mary.
I always said so and in fact as far as I'm aware, as was one of the first to predict she would be used in that role.

February 20, 2016 9:51 pm  #2610

If it were bad for the show, then they shouldn't have cast Benedict's parents as Sherlock's parents or Louis Moffat as young Sherlock.  But they were good, and I don't think Amanda is bad as Mary either.  Obviously not everyone's going to agree, but I don't think there's anything wrong with her in the role. 
Besides, if you don't like Mary, it doesn't matter who's going to play her, you still probably wouldn't like her, I don't think, considering the strength of many people's feelings about Mary.

But you have all really veered off the topic of favourite photos of Martin.

Clueing for looks.

February 20, 2016 10:01 pm  #2611

Yitzock wrote:

If it were bad for the show, then they shouldn't have cast Benedict's parents as Sherlock's parents or Louis Moffat as young Sherlock.  But they were good, and I don't think Amanda is bad as Mary either.  Obviously not everyone's going to agree, but I don't think there's anything wrong with her in the role. 

I was thinking about them too. You can also add Ian Hallard acting as a solicitor in TRF, that weird person who acted as Lord Moran in TEH etc. Even the dog in HLV was cast because it belonged to a member of a cast.
This show is overflowing with nepotism... and I fully believe it would be a thousand times better if this would be avoided by the authors. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 20, 2016 10:05 pm  #2612

Who is the actor who plays Moran, why is he weird and what is his connection?
Who does the dog belong to?
Again, Ian was perfectly adequate for the role he played.
I personally don't think my favourite TV show could be improved on.
It is TV at its best.

Last edited by besleybean (February 20, 2016 10:30 pm)

February 20, 2016 10:14 pm  #2613

besleybean wrote:

Who is the actor who plays Moran, why is he weird and what is his connection?
Who does the dog belong to?
Again, Ian was perfectly adequate for the role he played.
I personally don't think my favourite TV show could be improved on.
It is TV at its bet.

That person who played Moran was not even an actor (note how his name is not even stated in the list of actors appearing in the episode). He is simply some hobo who asked Moftiss to be cast in Sherlock and they obeyed, (probably because the man is their friend). 

Yes, nepotism always improves things... do you strive for a role and you think you could be good if you got a chance? Who cares! You are not a pal of the authors, you are out! Their parents, spouses, children, even dog could certainly act better then you - their familial of friendly connection to the authors makes them all wonderful actors all of a sudden.... 

February 20, 2016 10:15 pm  #2614

So those minor characters were a problem for you, then? And you think they could have got a better dog for a few seconds of show? I don't recall any problem with those.
You also seem to be maked an assumpton about someone (and an exaggerated one).  Do you have proof that that one person "wasn't an actor?"

Also, I feel like for them, people who have been in the industry for quite some time and worked with BBC for years, it can't be the easiest thing to get people you don't know for every role.  They're likely to know lots of people, and knowing someone and hiring them because you think they're good is not a problem in and of itself, I don't think.

That would mean the Pythons shouldn't have played so many characters in their films and shows, by that logic.  I know that's sketch comedy and not a drama, but I will still say that.

Last edited by Yitzock (February 20, 2016 10:19 pm)

Clueing for looks.

February 20, 2016 10:22 pm  #2615

Yitzock wrote:

So those minor characters were a problem for you, then? And you think they could have got a better dog for a few seconds of show? I don't recall any problem with those.

Also, I feel like for them, people who have been in the industry for quite some time and worked with BBC for years, it can't be the easiest thing to get people you don't know for every role.  They're likely to know lots of people, and knowing someone and hiring them because you think they're good is not a problem in and of itself, I don't think.

That would mean the Pythons shouldn't have played so many characters in their films and shows, by that logic.  I know that's sketch comedy and not a drama, but I will still say that.

I don´t care for a dog, but I don´t think that some new actors who are not the family or friends of the authors would spoil the show so much if they got the chance to act in it....

But we´ll never know, of course, because there never got the opportunity to show us anything, did they?

February 20, 2016 10:23 pm  #2616

You can't say that they never got the opportunity.  You don't know how many people they auditioned.  Not every single cast member was previously a friend.  And Sherlock isn't the only show out there for those who didn't get chosen.  Maybe there's bias, but everything has bias.

Clueing for looks.

February 20, 2016 10:25 pm  #2617

TOPIC!

Martin Freeman is such a lovely bloke.   LET'S POST PICTURES OF HIM!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 20, 2016 10:27 pm  #2618

Thank you tonnaree.
Gosh, where did you find that gif? I am guessing Fargo from the bandage on his nose, is that it?

Clueing for looks.

February 20, 2016 10:27 pm  #2619

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 20, 2016 10:30 pm  #2620

Yitzock wrote:

You can't say that they never got the opportunity.  You don't know how many people they auditioned.  Not every single cast member was previously a friend.  And Sherlock isn't the only show out there for those who didn't get chosen.  Maybe there's bias, but everything has bias.

We also don´t know how many talented people got refused because BBC employees wanted to cast their aunts, uncles, brothers, sister, canaries and the like in the show their produced.
Nepotism is definitely bad because it chooses friendly or familiar connections over skills or talent... 

Board footera