BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2012 8:02 pm  #1

Posting video

I think it's about time I contribute some images. I read the thread about stills. Pretty simple (elementary?) really,* although I was hoping I could just copy and paste directly from my coumpter.

But I'm not sure I followed the video instructions as well. First, where do I go for a snippet -- YouTube? And then how do I capture and paste it so it plays on the forum?

Thanks!

*Hope these are not famous last words.

July 31, 2012 8:04 pm  #2

Re: Posting video

The video has to be online already, like the pics.
E.g. youtube, yes.
When the video is running, you copy the address on top of your browser.
You paste it inside here and put a [video][/video] around it. That's all! 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 31, 2012 8:05 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 31, 2012 8:05 pm  #3

Oh, and any reason why Picasa wouldn't work for still images?

July 31, 2012 8:47 pm  #4

For YouTube  etc. you also have to put the following:

[video] http://www.youtube.com.........then the details such as =watch?v=.............[/video]

I haven't mastered images yet so I cannot help with the last query.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 9:07 pm  #5

That's helpful. How do I get it to just play the little bit I want, instead of the whole video that's on YouTube?

I'm sure someone else will answer about Picasa.

Thanks, Davina.

July 31, 2012 9:07 pm  #6

veecee wrote:

Oh, and any reason why Picasa wouldn't work for still images?

Picasa is something you have to log in first? That might be the problem.

From youtube you can always show only the complete video, just like it is there.
Because you only put a link in here to their webpage.
You can tell us "watch from 1:54 to 2:20 or so. But not shorten the video. Or you have to create an own one. But don't ask me how. 

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 31, 2012 9:14 pm)

July 31, 2012 9:11 pm  #7

I don't think you can just take a clip from YouTube. If I'm wrong i'm sure someone else will provide a correct answer. Where's m0r when you need him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 31, 2012 9:15 pm  #8

Oh, pooh. I want to cut it off at a certain point.

But I just did a test and it worked (I deleted it), except that it played the whole scene. So thanks!

It's really just some basic html, isn't it?

July 31, 2012 9:21 pm  #9

I don't think 'Basic' and 'HTML' can really go together in a sentence... but I don't think you can copy chunks from YouTube videos either. Only, as Mattlocked said, create your own. Sorry I don't much about technology (Then why am I writing on here??)

I don't know, Davina, I don't think he's going to come back Maybe he finally got that ticket to Outer-Mongolia that he was after... 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 31, 2012 9:25 pm  #10

I know it's sad  perhaps he's living in a yurt, drinking mares' milk and riding round on one of those diddly Mongolian horses whilst throat singing.

July 31, 2012 9:55 pm  #11

Yeah, maybe...

Gosh, when he does come back and he's just been on a business trip Or something he'll have to make up a really exiting story for everyone!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 31, 2012 11:03 pm  #12

So, how do people get those stills from the show, like the one Susi posted of the purple shirt? I guess I could ask her.

Last edited by veecee (August 1, 2012 2:53 am)

August 1, 2012 7:28 am  #13

I'm using a media-player on my computer, called VLC
I can play DVDs using this program and there is a feature called "take a snapshot" so I can pause the film wherever I like and take a picture. Great thing! 

Last edited by Mattlocked (August 1, 2012 7:28 am)

August 2, 2012 3:29 am  #14

I think I already thanked you for this in another thread, Matt. But thanks again!

Board footera