BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2012 6:09 pm  #1

Van Gogh - Painted with words

Just watched "Van Gogh - Painted with words" part 1-6 on youtube.
Even in these short pieces - not a movie or a stage performance, just a documentary - you can see what great actor BC is.
The texts he had were all taken from Van Gogh's letters. He could have just read them. But he played them - so good that I could nearly feel what Vincent felt while writing those letters.
I'm interested in paintings and painters, but I can recommend this little piece even if you aren't.
Again I thought: Benedict is brilliant! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 1, 2012 11:53 am  #2

Re: Van Gogh - Painted with words

This performance inspired me to pick my paintbrush back up, and, quite frankly, has caused me to consider writing my first fan letter at 30. It was, amazing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Fantastic."
Sherlock: "Meretricious."
Lestrade: "And happy new year."

"Oh, but we both know that's not quite true"

August 14, 2012 3:27 pm  #3

What a wonderful performance. And I like the way the actors seem to directly address the viewers and sort of make them privy to their thoughts. And I discovered so many beautiful pictures by van Gogh.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2013 2:12 pm  #4

I have just finished watching Van Gogh - Painted with Words. I did find a link to the entire movie without it being broken up into parts. That link is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXhvsZ1984A

I am beginning to find myself at a loss for words, a highly unlikely state for me. Over the last week I have found such tremendous work done by this exceptionally gifted young man.

This story brought me to tears, as it should have. Vincent Van Gogh lead a tormented life. His bipolar disorder could not be cared for because medicine didn't know what to do about it at the time. His brilliance during the manic phases of his illness are what brought the world his magnificent work, while the depressed phases are what ultimately took his life. 

The portrayal by Benedict was astounding and utterly believable. I think that he must be an extraordinarily intelligent man. I cannot see someone of average intellect bringing so much depth to the characters he represents. It is as if he sees into the very souls of the men he portrays. 

I find myself once again stunned by what I have just seen and not entirely sure how to process the emotions it stirred within me. I am very glad that I chose to stay and really look through this forum. I never would have found the treasures that I have discovered over the last week had I left. 

If you have not yet seen this work I strongly recommend it. You learn so much about Van Gogh, and the performance is captivating enough that it even held the attention of my seven year old.

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 26, 2013 2:48 pm  #5

I love your reviews, Alice. It's wonderful to discover his extraordinary work, isn't it? What I love about "Van Gogh" - among other things - is that they used only his own words to tell the story. Benedict definitely has the gift of really becoming someone else and make you understand this person which is very moving. Therefore I'm looking forward very much to the Assange, Epstein and Turing films. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 28, 2013 1:17 pm  #6

May 28, 2013 3:51 pm  #7

That was really cool!   Even though I have no clue to the breadth of a lot of it, I've always found it so cool all the different aspects to producing a film, you know?....  to say nothing of the human element.   I hadn't even heard of the Van Gogh thing until I came across this thread back when I started here... very glad sat down to watch Ben's artistry in it with one of my favorite artists.... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 7, 2014 10:40 am  #8

Just watched it... this morning on my way to work on the train... using my smartphone.

What did I know about Van Gogh before? Only that he was dutch, that he cut his ear and a few of his paintings, like the self portraits or the sunflowers. To learn about Van Gogh's story in this way was very interesting. Just a "normal documentary" wouldn't have attracted me.

Right, to be honest, Benedict attracted me of course. And the way he acted in it simply was brilliant. He put in all his skills again and made this strange artist "comprehensible".

Definitely another of Benedict's works worth watching it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 13, 2014 6:47 pm  #9

Being snowed in does give you a lot of free time.  Finally watched.

My knowledge of Van Gogh was only very basic and this little film moved me to tears.  That such beauty can come from such a sad tragic life.  My view of his work has been forever altered.
And yes, Ben does an amazing job of makig us feel Vincent's passion and pain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 13, 2014 9:25 pm  #10

I have tears in my eyes having just watched this. I have loved Vincent van Gogh's works since I was 10 and was shown them by an art teacher; other than the beauty of them I found so much more... The art teacher told me briefly about the sad story of Vincent and I was hooked. 

But now after watching this I feel like I understand him so much better now; Benedicts acting in this felt incredibly real. His madness was haunting and I couldn't help but feel it was more than a dramatized documentary... I kept feeling I was watching the real thing. 

I have so much more I would want to say but I just don't have the words... all I can say is that the paintings I have on my wall bear a lot more meaning now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 22, 2014 10:37 am  #11

Have just finished watching this and found it superb - very touching and totally absorbing.

I completely forgot I was watching Benedict, actually, as I was so caught up in the story: how fascinating that it all came from the mouth of Vincent himself.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 21, 2014 2:19 am  #12

I've recently gotten into painting, with an interest in Van Gogh. I decided to see if there were any documantaries about him, and it was my lucky day. Benedict was absolutely brilliant, as always. What ana amazing actor. Every letter was read and expressed as though it could have come from him. He certainly picks his historical figures too! Can't wait to see him as Turing!

March 21, 2014 6:16 am  #13

This was a really moving documentary - it really awakened my interest in Van Gogh.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 7, 2014 5:15 pm  #14

What a good piece of documentary! I'm not that much into art, I don't like to watch paintings for hours and analyze every detail but when I was watching the film, I was looking at the paintings very closely, I looked at the colours and tried to feel ven Gogh's feelings. I think I was able to see a part of his soul. It's incredible. And it was mostly because of Benedict's performance. What an actor! When he talks about physics, I feel physics is his life and his passion. Then he talks about art and I'm convinced he's a painter. I can't wait for The Imitation Game. He is so good.

"Susi" wrote:

Go What I love about "Van Gogh" - among other things - is that they used only his own words to tell the story.

I agree. It increased the impact of the story. You knew it was all real.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 25, 2015 11:46 am  #15

I watched Van Gogh: Painted With Words today at the library on my iPad, connected to the free wifi. I've been hoping to find this on DVD somewhere, but ended up having to watch it online (via Vimeo). What can I say that hasn't already been said above? Benedict is just phenomenal. He completely inhabited Van Gogh. Like others have said, it is wonderful to learn more about this master painter's life through his own words, and the exceptional performances of the actors involved (I enjoyed seeing Jamie Parker of Parade's End again). The only thing I can add is, I do not recommend you watch this in public! I had tears streaming down my cheeks by the end of it. Luckily I had my sunglasses and a couple of tissues.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera