BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2012 4:58 pm  #21

Re: Encountering Sherlockians Randomly

just curious but when you say recs do you mean recognitions?

August 8, 2012 5:30 pm  #22

I was wearing my t-shirt and my self-made bag today and I think I got a shy smile here and there...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 8, 2012 8:32 pm  #23

Arya wrote:

I love how people in the US actually know what Sherlock is now 

Isn't it fun? Do you have Sherlockian friends you can share with?

August 8, 2012 8:33 pm  #24

ElvenHogwartian wrote:

just curious but when you say recs do you mean recognitions?

Yup.

August 8, 2012 8:34 pm  #25

Mattlocked wrote:

I was wearing my t-shirt and my self-made bag today and I think I got a shy smile here and there...

I hope you smiled back! 

August 8, 2012 8:43 pm  #26

That's great, Mattlocked. No t-shirt success in Austria so far but I won't give up. Maybe I'll get myself a long-sleeve when I'm back at home and start a new campaign in combination with my Kindle sleeve …

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 9, 2012 12:42 am  #27

veecee wrote:

Arya wrote:

I love how people in the US actually know what Sherlock is now 

Isn't it fun? Do you have Sherlockian friends you can share with?

Yes, most of my friends like Sherlock, but no one else is really obsessed with it. It's really amusing how everyone always asks me what the TRF theories are

August 25, 2012 8:57 am  #28

Yesterday evening I was at The Strand bookstore (massive bookstore in NYC) and I was glancing through a rather nice Eastman edition of the canon (a version based on the original Limited Edition Club version which is for all intents and purposes *the* definitive canonical text) when I came across a piece of paper stuck inside that said "I Believe in Sherlock" a few times in big bold letters and then "believe" was written over and over and over on the front and back of the paper as decoration. I didn't have $40 to drop on this edition of the canon (spent way too much yesterday on other Sherlockian books there though) but I decided to leave the note/bookmark in there for the lucky person who comes along and buys it. It also made me start thinking of leaving stickers/business cards for my blog in random Sherlock Holmes books at Strand. If I do, I'll let you all know how it goes via this thread,

---------------------
matt laffey
@always1895 on Twitter
Always1895.net
Priory Scholars of NYC
Always1895 on Twitpic

August 25, 2012 9:09 am  #29

always1895 wrote:

Yesterday evening I was at The Strand bookstore (massive bookstore in NYC) and I was glancing through a rather nice Eastman edition of the canon (a version based on the original Limited Edition Club version which is for all intents and purposes *the* definitive canonical text) when I came across a piece of paper stuck inside that said "I Believe in Sherlock" a few times in big bold letters and then "believe" was written over and over and over on the front and back of the paper as decoration. I didn't have $40 to drop on this edition of the canon (spent way too much yesterday on other Sherlockian books there though) but I decided to leave the note/bookmark in there for the lucky person who comes along and buys it. It also made me start thinking of leaving stickers/business cards for my blog in random Sherlock Holmes books at Strand. If I do, I'll let you all know how it goes via this thread,

Well, good luck with your new project!
You'll see that this is going to be so much fun.
Some of us, including me, are doing crazy stuff like covering the entire region with incomprehensible and somewhat superfluous post-its. Books in book stores are convenient victims as well.
Here's a thread where you can put your successful examples:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=162

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 3, 2012 1:48 am  #30

I anachronistically wore my red I AM SHERLOCKED t-shirt to the Renaissance Faire this weekend. Got recs from two people working there. Fun and funny to have someone in a "Renaissance" costume acknowledge your 21st-century fictional obsession.

I also heard a woman passing me by read my t-shirt out loud and then chuckle.

(It's a long holiday weekend in the US, by the way. Monday is Labor Day.)

September 3, 2012 7:17 am  #31

Veecee has given me hope that I will run into a Sherlockian here in MI!

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 3, 2012 10:36 am  #32

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I went into a public toilet and someone had left a business card for Moriarty with Consulting Criminal and Jim'll Fix It on it...made my day.

That's great! 

As for me I've never met any Sherlockian. Hope it'll happen one day

Last edited by 221B Baker Street (September 3, 2012 10:45 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

September 3, 2012 11:20 pm  #33

I wore my self-made Sherlock T-shirt around Beacon Hill in Boston a week and a half ago but no one seemed to notice.  I'd thought that wearing it in the hometown of WGBH, producer of Masterpiece Mystery!, which broadcast the show in the US, might elicit some recognition.  Sigh.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 9, 2012 5:52 pm  #34

Sorry, Sherll. It might be that the I AM SHERLOCKED image is so recognizable on my shirts that it gets noticed. I'd like to think it's the magnificence of my chest that calls attention, but I doubt that's it.

I got my shirt from redbubble.com, but I am all for fan creativity. In fact, my avatar is an emboidery (by machine) that I did on some black fabric.

Last edited by veecee (September 9, 2012 5:57 pm)

September 9, 2012 9:18 pm  #35

I made a brave attempt this weekend to attract attention. By travelling half  the country in public transport I was dressed either in my blue "I am sherlocked" T-Shirt or in my red Moriarty apps one. But apparently everyone decided to ignore me...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 9, 2012 9:27 pm  #36

Wrong country!     

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 9, 2012 11:52 pm  #37

veecee wrote:

Sorry, Sherll. It might be that the I AM SHERLOCKED image is so recognizable on my shirts that it gets noticed.

Yeah, could be.  I'm thinking of making another shirt with that phrase on it.  Might be a while before that happens, though, as I'm rather busy with work right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 20, 2012 6:33 pm  #38

I have never met an other Sherlockian. In Norway very few people have heard of it. I am trying to do something about that by Leaveing notes in public places.

September 20, 2012 7:12 pm  #39

Don't be sad, Locke, it's quite the same in Germany. Leaving notes is a great thing. And of course now you'll have this forum where you can meet lots of people who are just like you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 20, 2012 7:45 pm  #40

Locke, it's up to you to spread the word, I guess. Be bold!

Board footera