BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2012 4:49 pm  #1

Encountering Sherlockians Randomly

Someone asked for this thread as we've been sharing a few experiences of this on various different threads, so here's the place where we can collate them all. Do let me know if someone's already started one off since we discussed it and I'll just delete this one.

Anyway, this is for when you're just walking along the street, or you're out doing your shopping, in the pub, at the library, on the bus, and you meet or see another Sherlockian. It's the coolest thing ever when it happens because suddenly someone else understands your craziness!

So share your experiences...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 26, 2012 6:44 pm  #2

Re: Encountering Sherlockians Randomly

I thought I would wear a Sherlock t-shirt to my dog agility trial this weekend and see if anyone takes the bait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 26, 2012 8:03 pm  #3

Sherlock, thanks for the thread. I hope a lot of people have encounters to report.
Fetch, I hope you get some "recs," (recognitions), cuz it is really fun. Let us know.

I have been lucky. Here's a summary:

Went to see Game of Shadows outdoors (didn't care for it, left early), and heard some girls behind me say "Benedict Cumberbatch is the best Sherlock." Gave them a thumbs up.

First time wearing my I AM SHERLOCKED t-shirt, got an "I like your shirt!" by someone passing on the street.

Heard someone at work say "easy-peasy," and blurted out, "Do you watch Sherlock?" She did, but I am not likely to run into her again.

Out to dinner with two houseguests and my husband. Waitress saw guests' and my Sherlock and Moriarty t-shirts and said, "I think Benedict Cumberbatch is a very good-looking man." Big cheers from our table and big tip for waitress.

Went to HUGE outdoor art fair with houseguests and got several recs of our shirts, as well as a couple of inquiries. Hope we educated some folks. Major envy of our shirts from one person.

Got a rec from clerk at gas station convenience store. Glad I went inside to buy that milk.

Walking down street with houseguests and husband when woman approached rather agressively. We all were a little wary and about to give her a wide berth, but she as she got closer, she smiled and said "I want your shirt!"

I'm starting to think that I should carry around some cards that say, "If you are ever interested in a Sherlock meet-up, e-mail me at..."

July 28, 2012 7:22 pm  #4

Really?! Seriously? I can't believe I'm the only one running into other fans.

Is it really not happening to the rest of you, or are you not as excited as I am to report when it happens?

I had another today:

While at the farmers' market wearing my I AM SHERLOCKED t-shirt, got this reaction, "Oh, my God, do you mind if I take a picture of your t-shirt? Is that weird?" (No, not weird). We went on to have a conversation in which we discovered we both have a crush on Benedict (surprise), think that he and Martin have great chemistry, have watched the episodes over and over, think everything about the show is perfect (well, almost), and don't think the new America Sherlock will be as good. It was a lovely shared moment!

Here's a nice thing she said, "While you're watching, your heart doesn't beat until they want it to beat."

Now, come on, you lot (my Britishism for the day), let's hear about your encounters!

July 29, 2012 8:34 pm  #5

I don't have any Sherlock t-shirts so I guess it doesn't happen to me as much...

I went to a Sherlock meetup in my cosplay though and someone on the tube shouted "we believe in you Sherlock!" at me....that was a pretty awesome experience.

What about times when you've spotted someone else wearing a Sherlock t-shirt?

I went into a public toilet and someone had left a business card for Moriarty with Consulting Criminal and Jim'll Fix It on it...made my day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 29, 2012 11:36 pm  #6

Wore my T-shirt to the agility trial today, but no takers.  :-(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was worth a wound–it was worth many wounds–to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain. All my years of humble but single-minded service culminated in that moment of revelation.

July 30, 2012 12:01 am  #7

Took my I AM SHERLOCKED bag with me yesterday.
Wearing my Moriar Tea shirt today.

No. Nothing.
I live in Germany you know.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 30, 2012 2:11 am  #8

Language barriers 

July 30, 2012 7:27 am  #9

Fetch and Ketch doesn't though. How disappointing.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 7:55 am  #10

Simply not enough people know it here.
Maybe if I lived in Berlin...
And, yes, if they knew it it would be the dubbed version - but then they should recognize Moriarty, I am Sherlocked.. Those are the easy ones! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 30, 2012 10:49 am  #11

Well, I discovered last term that my Modern History teacher LOVES Sherlock... AND Doctor Who! When I showed him  my digital painting of Benedict he asked me to email him a copy of it to him, and now he has the picture as his desktop wallpaper, yay :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 30, 2012 10:58 am  #12

History teachers always have the most amazing good taste and are generally very intelligent and well-read.
There may be just a teeny-weeny bit of bias in my viewpoint.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 30, 2012 2:47 pm  #13

Just ordered a couple more T-shirts, maybe I'll spark some interest.  :-)

July 30, 2012 6:53 pm  #14

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I don't have any Sherlock t-shirts so I guess it doesn't happen to me as much...

I went to a Sherlock meetup in my cosplay though and someone on the tube shouted "we believe in you Sherlock!" at me....that was a pretty awesome experience.

What about times when you've spotted someone else wearing a Sherlock t-shirt?

I went into a public toilet and someone had left a business card for Moriarty with Consulting Criminal and Jim'll Fix It on it...made my day.

I would be so happy if I found a note someone else had left. And then I'd probably try to find the person. Oh, no, I guess that would be weird.

And I am jealous you went to a meetup.

July 30, 2012 6:55 pm  #15

Fetchinketch wrote:

Just ordered a couple more T-shirts, maybe I'll spark some interest.  :-)

Oh, I hope so. It's really fun. And I suppose someone might notice your shirt, but be shy of saying something.

July 30, 2012 6:57 pm  #16

Davina wrote:

History teachers always have the most amazing good taste and are generally very intelligent and well-read.
There may be just a teeny-weeny bit of bias in my viewpoint.

Let's say teachers in general, and I'm with you.

July 31, 2012 8:28 pm  #17

@Davina and veecee -- Speaking as a teacher, and one who teaches social studies: THANKS! 

Yesterday, I wore my self-designed Sherlock T-shirt to a screening of Frankenstein (see relevant threads for details) and saw two people, most likely mother and daughter, wearing Sherlock-inspired T-shirts.  The younger woman had a grey shirt with a yellow smiley face on it but I couldn't make out the details of the older woman's shirt, just that is said "Sherlock" on it along with other text.  We smiled and complimented each other on our attire. 

After the movie ended, another woman came up to me and asked if my shirt was for the show with the same actor we'd just seen on-screen; at first, I said no because she mangled Ben's name so much I didn't know who she was talking about but then it dawned on me what she meant and I said yes, and encouraged her to watch the TV show. 

I'd been wondering (hoping!) if I'd see anyone wearing Sherlock clothes or if anyone would say something to me.  They did, and it was both cool and fun!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 1, 2012 3:08 am  #18

Yay! I love hearing about these! Thanks!

August 6, 2012 7:34 pm  #19

Got back from long weekend in Chicago last night. I wore my red I AM SHERLOCKED t-shirt one day and got several recs:
One young woman did a double take and then said, "I really like Sherlock!'
Cashier at a museum could not concentrate on selling us our tickets (I could tell she was looking), and finally said, "I'm sorry. I can't help it. I love your t-shirt! Where did you get it..."
A whole family pointed at my shirt, smiled hugely, and nodded their heads vigorously. It was so cute.
I didn't see this one, but my husband said someone else was giving my shirt a big smile. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to respond.
I have to say that the red shirt attracts more attention than the light blue one.

August 7, 2012 1:54 am  #20

I love how people in the US actually know what Sherlock is now 

Board footera