BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2014 1:05 pm  #61

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2014 2:06 pm  #62

The thing is this film is based closely upon the novel by John Le Carre. His novels are far more authentic in their approach towards espionage etc. then many other 'spy' novels. They are always very character driven. They are meticulous and slow in their build up. The George Smiley novels are exclellent but they do require investment from the reader. Try:  The Spy Who Came in From the Cold as another example or The Constant Gardener.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 26, 2014 2:15 pm  #63

I have no doubt he's a fine writer, tho I would have actually boycotted him for politcal reasons.
However, I think in later years he did somewhat recant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 9:42 pm  #64

I just watched it and I have to admit I didn't understand it *hides*.
At some point I just stopped paying attention... My husband seemed to like it though.
Now reading the Wikipedia article on it and still don't get it...
a does b, but c does he does d... I consider myself as not too stupid, but it is bit... weird... maybe not my genre...

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

February 25, 2014 9:46 pm  #65

Oh I didn't understand a word of it...but I liked it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 9:48 pm  #66

besleybean wrote:

Oh I didn't understand a word of it...but I liked it!

Glad I'm not alone...
Well it is too many names, too many persons... to much chaos...
As I am reading the summary on wikipedia I am condisering of draw the stuff on paper to get the connections lol ;).
I'm a software developer, I'm not stupid and I can deal with logic and studied mathematics, but this is just... confusing...

February 25, 2014 9:57 pm  #67

I watched it twice before I completely understood everything - it's certainly one you need to pay close attention to.
Apparantly there are a few differences from the book, too.
But I love it and could never tire of it - the mood, the depth of the story, the cast and the acting are all brilliant, imo.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 25, 2014 9:58 pm  #68

Your last sentence...
Just that.

February 25, 2014 9:59 pm  #69

Yeah, I will give it a try later again. I was also constantly a bit distracted in between.

February 26, 2014 5:31 am  #70

Do watch it again, zeratul, it really isn't an easy movie, lots of names, lots of secrets and lots of dialogue that quite often leaves certain things unsaid. When I left the cinema after seeing it for the first time, I was like "What the hell just happened...?".
But Tinks already said it: It's a wonderful movie because of the mood, the atmosphere, the colours (or the absence of colours, for that matter), just everything.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 26, 2014 8:21 am  #71

I have watched it twice now. I have to admit I still don't really understand the plot...

But I did like the effects of it; it had such a cool atmosphere really! But aw, the scene when he cries... I just wanted to hug him! That was so unfair!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 26, 2014 8:59 am  #72

Made me cry.

February 26, 2014 9:16 am  #73

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I have watched it twice now. I have to admit I still don't really understand the plot...

You've got questions?
No, seriously, the plot is complicated and there are sometimes things happening that still make me go "okay, why again did he do this/why again was he even there?". The whole story around Ricki Tarr for example... I still tend to forget to which country Guillam sent him and why exactly. And you really have to know the names, otherwise you lose track when someone is talking about someone.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 26, 2014 9:35 am  #74

SolarSystem wrote:

And you really have to know the names, otherwise you lose track when someone is talking about someone.

Yeah that's my problem... I am really bad with names...
When I am at a birthday party or sth. like that and strangers introduce themselves to me, I forget the name directly after they mention it.

March 14, 2014 10:00 am  #75

I just came across this and it at least partly sums up why I love that movie so much...

http://vitalyorlovs.tumblr.com/post/21039144172

March 14, 2014 11:21 am  #76

That scene broke my heart when I first saw it.
Gosh, I'd so love to see Gary Oldman and Benedict in something else together;)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 14, 2014 11:39 am  #77

I'd so love to see them together as Smiley and Guillam again, there is at least one more novel they could make into a movie.

March 14, 2014 11:43 am  #78

They are wonderful together. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2014 11:44 am  #79

That would be fantastic

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

March 14, 2014 1:27 pm  #80

Actually, right after Sherlock and John they are my OTP. Uhum...

But I guess we'll never get another Le Carré-movie, TTSS just wasn't successful enough at the box office, I suppose. At least in Germany.

Board footera