BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2013 7:15 pm  #41

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

It is there in the film.
He is given an instruction by the boss and he goes home and carries out the instruction and then he cries,.
Now I'll get told off again for giving spoilers.
But heck it's hardly a new film!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2013 7:34 pm  #42

Ricki Tarr?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 17, 2013 7:39 pm  #43

Don't remember the character name.
It's the most heartbreaking scene in the film and we have already discussed it on here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 17, 2013 7:41 pm  #44

Never mind, it's not Ricki Tarr. Someone else, just saw the scene. Can't believe I didn't see that before...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 17, 2013 7:46 pm  #45

besleybean wrote:

Don't remember the character name.
It's the most heartbreaking scene in the film and we have already discussed it on here!

It really is , even though it's quite short...just goes to show how talented he is, able to convey such strong emotion with no words...*sobs* 

-------------------------------------------------------

November 18, 2013 5:29 pm  #46

Take a look at this final sequence, if you like (almost at the very end)... one look and there is bromance right there! Someone should write a fanfic about these two guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03BoiZmSBKk

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 25, 2014 7:06 pm  #47

Just watched it. Strange somehow. If you only know spy films with lots of action, this film needs getting used to. It seems a little bit to calm, to slow... to soft? Think I have to watch it a few times more...
But loved Benedict again though I think he couldn't show his acting skills that much. Nevertheless this one scene when he burst into tears... that was sooo convincing again. 

Last edited by gently69 (January 25, 2014 7:08 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2014 7:08 pm  #48

Funny my friend said similar to you about this film, yet I found it really fast!

January 25, 2014 9:10 pm  #49

gently69 wrote:

Just watched it. Strange somehow. If you only know spy films with lots of action, this film needs getting used to. It seems a little bit to calm, to slow... to soft?

I think that's exactly the idea behind it. I'm not an expert on espionage of course, but I would say that this is one of the most realistic films you'll ever see on that topic. Espionage is not like James Bond. I imagine it to be without much glamour and adventure.
The atmosphere, the colours, the desolation, the pace of TTSS is just overwhelming. I guess one has to get used to this way of telling a story, because it's just not what a Hollywood movie would be like.

And btw, I don't think it's soft at all. If you look behind everything that's going on there, it's cruel, really cruel.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 25, 2014 9:29 pm  #50

Well, if I talk about these kind of films I don't always think of James Bond. Three days of the Condor crosses my mind for example. Different to any James Bond but also to TTSS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2014 11:07 pm  #51

You mentioned spy films "with lots of action", so James Bond immediately came to mind. "Three Days of the Condor" is definitely not as slowly paced as TTSS, but it's not a film with lots of action, either.

January 25, 2014 11:22 pm  #52

You are right but nevertheless Three days of the Condor is more of a spying ilm I expect.

(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2014 11:32 pm  #53

Yeah, well... expect the unexpected, right?

January 25, 2014 11:47 pm  #54

That's why I am open for this film. 
Though I think that I wouldn't have been interested in it without Benedict... to be honest.

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2014 8:12 am  #55

I never would have watched this without Benedict being  in it.
I'm not terribly interested in spy things and I hate James Bond films.
But I did enjoy this.

January 26, 2014 10:02 am  #56

In general I like movies that are a little bit different, that ask you to take a second or third look, that invite you to think and maybe even confuse you at times. I watched it before I even knew who Benedict is and immediately thought that this is something different, something special.
It's probably pretty obvious by now, I love this film.

January 26, 2014 10:11 am  #57

You do ? Really?

Well, I won't say that I don't like it... just have to get used to it. Thanks because of the DVD I have the possibility to watch it as many times as I need to for that. 

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2014 10:15 am  #58

I watched TTSS as a TV series a long time ago and found it totally boring. I never really liked those Cold War espionage novels and the films based on them. But this new version oF TTSS really got me hooked because of the wonderful actors. This film offers some of the best British actors of our time and for me they make it worth watching and got me interested in a story that left me cold years ago. Plus, the camera work, costumes, etc. are excellent. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 26, 2014 10:26 am  #59

Yes I have to admit that they are transporting an atmosphere which is different and interesting. And I would never say anything bad about fantastic actors like Hurt, Oldmann, Firth, Hardy or... Cumberbatch.

(Tony Hadley)

January 26, 2014 10:50 am  #60

There is a little featurette somewhere on YT about the costumes (sadly it's not included in the extras on the DVD or Blueray), and it's really interesting why they did what they did with the costumes. And it makes total sense, as does the whole production design. It's just perfect, IMO.

Board footera