BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2013 8:16 pm  #21

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

besleybean wrote:

It is good.
All the actors are excellent and yes, Benedict  made me cry.

The small scene with him and his lover is heartbreaking. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2013 8:40 pm  #22

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

It is good.

Oh yes!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2013 8:38 am  #23

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

It is good.

It is. Still, I always wondered why Peter Guillam character  was  changed. Many LeCarrè fans were really outraged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 15, 2013 11:02 am  #24

I can understand the fans, I wouldn't like changes either, if I were a hardcore fan. But John LeCarrè was Executive Producer and had a scene in the film, so he must have been O.K. with it.

----------

January 15, 2013 5:27 pm  #25

I agree that it was a bit odd to change Peter's character like that and as a reader it probably would have bother me greatly too. But, Ivy's right about Le Carre being very involved in the production, so if he was okay with it, I have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I guess it added a different aspect of what their lives were like.

As a side note, I love the song at the end of the film. I thought it was some French guy, but to my surprise I discovered it was sung by Julio Iglesias. He really does have a beautiful voice.

Edit: Yes, Julio is still very much alive, sorry for my misprint.

Last edited by harleyq (January 15, 2013 7:38 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 15, 2013 6:31 pm  #26

To save any confusion Julio is still alive. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 6, 2013 9:01 pm  #27

Wondering if I should read the book first or just watch it and see Ben and all the other great actors play it out. 
What do you guys think? 

July 7, 2013 4:33 pm  #28

I've never read any of his books, tho they are supposed to be very good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 4:38 pm  #29

Am I the only one who felt that this movie was too slow, muddled and clever for its own good?

Last edited by sj4iy (July 7, 2013 4:38 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 7, 2013 4:54 pm  #30

I am totally ashamed to confess I only watched it for Benedict.
Having said that, I thought all the performances were excellent.
It was too clever for me .But I thought it fast and exciting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 5:25 pm  #31

I loved all of the actors in it...Firth, Cumberbatch and Oldman are some of my favorite actors.  But I don't think they did the flashbacks well enough.  At the end of watching it 3 times, I'm still not clear how Oldman works out who the spy is.  It's not a moment of "OOOOOOhhhhhh" like I usually have...it's more a moment of "...huh?  okay".

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 7, 2013 6:13 pm  #32

To be fair, I'm not really into spy things.

July 31, 2013 8:10 am  #33

I watched it before I was even aware of the existence of Mister Cumberbatch. My boyfriend and I saw the trailer for it and he absolutely wanted to see it. I was like 'Yeah, why not, after all there's Gary Oldman and Colin Firth in it'. And apart from that I really like intelligent, clever (spy)movies.
I only recently became aware that Peter Guillam is played by Benedict. And since my boyfriend owns the DVD anyway... well, need I say more? You could say that the DVD is in my possession now.
It would be great if they did another of the novels, but it seems TTSS hasn't been that big of a box office success, right? Which I absolutely cannot understand, it is really good, the atmosphere is great, the story is tight, the characters are so interesting, the cast is just fabulous...!

And just look at this!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2013 10:54 am  #34

@Solar: the same here, but I knew that Benedict is in it, but I didn't like him back then. I really wondered why some women find him attractive. I saw TTSS because of Gary and Colin. After the film I was impressed, Ben played that role really really well, in May 2012 "Belgravia" was on German TV...the rest is history

----------

July 31, 2013 11:30 am  #35

Ivy wrote:

I really wondered why some women find him attractive.

Oh, me too! And just this morning I talked about him with a colleague of mine, she just loves Brad Pitt. And I almost didn't dare to mention Benedict, but when I did she said something like 'yes, he's not one of those actors who are just handsome and nothing else, somehow there is more to him', and that's true. In quite a lot of his films I don't really find him attractive in a usual sort of way, but when I look closer... there's always something there!
In TTSS I obviously didn't look closer when I went to see it in the cinema, because apart from the fact that I found his acting really good he didn't leave any impression on me. Now I know better.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 31, 2013 12:12 pm  #36

Therefore he will survive as an actor and will play great characters in future that I'm sure of. Even if the films are low budget. He really is too good for blockbusters.

----------

August 17, 2013 7:05 pm  #37

What's this about his character and a boyfriend? I just watched the movie and I didn't see that...is it a deleted scene?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 17, 2013 7:07 pm  #38

I'll PM, for spoiler.

August 17, 2013 7:08 pm  #39

Apparently I can't.
So sorry casn't say, in case peopel haven't seen the film.

August 17, 2013 7:09 pm  #40

Checked the deleted scenes on the DVD, it's not there. I think I would remember something like that...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera