BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2012 1:37 pm  #1

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

There is an open air screening of TTSS in Halle/Saale, Germany this Saturday. Further details:

www.kulturfalter.de/index.php?id=halle_trmindetsils&eid=5403

The link will get you to the site, from there you can scroll down the page and you will find a section about the open air Kino.

Last edited by Davina (July 25, 2012 5:29 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 25, 2012 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

German fellows, please go and enjoy this absolute jewel. Best film I've seen in a very long time.

Ben is great, but... Gary Oldman, Mark Strong and Colin Firth are absolutely awesome. And the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in ages (by Alberto Iglesias, a great Spanish composer).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 25, 2012 3:23 pm  #3

Oh, I love TTSS! Have seen it in the cinema twice and many times on DVD afterwards.
Optically, my memories of the seventies are quite appalling - but in this film everything is so beautifully shot. Not to mention the hair length and the clothing style. And the music - you're right, Irene! Absoluteley wonderful.
I love the way Gary Oldman does nothing at all through the whole film  and Ben being his loyal friend.
I'm always surprised how TTSS isn't boring in the least although it moves at a slow pace...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 25, 2012 5:31 pm  #4

One of the things I loved about this film is the gentle pace. It matches the book very well. I have updated about the link for the open air showing in my post above.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 29, 2012 10:13 pm  #5

I just watched the film and was very pleased with it. I'm generally not a fan of cold war/spy movies and vaguely remembered the series with Alec Guinness with I didn't like very much. But this film was really good, with great style and excellent performances. Benedict's two minutes in the middle nearly broke my heart. Gary Oldman, Colin Firth and Tom Hardy were very, very good.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 2, 2012 11:21 pm  #6

I'm gonna repeat it "Benedict and Gary in the same film OMG" I was willing to watch it even if it was terrible. But it definitely wasn't. And Iove investigation (spy, detective) movies, TTSS is tight and doesn't need a lot of action scenes to be exciting, very clever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

November 4, 2012 6:15 pm  #7

I didn't think I would like this film, but I ended up loving it. The pace was slow but it worked for this and the actors all played their characters brilliantly. The costume design was perfect and it really added to the feel of time and place. Benedict was perfect in his role, quietly playing a deadly game. Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy and Colin Firth also delivered standout performances. Proof that you can make a great thriller without blowing anything up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 4, 2012 8:42 pm  #8

Yeah, I only went to see it to humor my husband, but I ended up liking it, too. At the time, i hadn't been Sherlocked yet, although I liked the show. After Ben was on screen a few times, I finally leaned over to my husband and whispered, "Sherlock!" It had been bugging me where I had seen him before.

November 4, 2012 8:47 pm  #9

I only watched it because of Benedict.
I sobbed when his boyfriend left...
But yes, I thought all the actors were fab and it was a very fast but atmospheric piece.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2013 6:41 pm  #10

I finished watching this a couple days ago--it took me a few days to get through it.  I found the story very convoluted and hard to follow--perhaps if I'd read the book first, it would've made more sense.  But I'm not really a fan of John LeCarre and only watched it for Benedict.  Very strange to see him with his "real" hair!  His performance was good but I didn't think he had much to do other than do Smiley's bidding.  I much prefer BC in Sherlock--his look and his acting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 12, 2013 7:20 pm  #11

Er I don't think this was his real hair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 12, 2013 7:39 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

I only watched it because of Benedict.
I sobbed when his boyfriend left...
But yes, I thought all the actors were fab and it was a very fast but atmospheric piece.

I watched it because of Gary Oldman and thought about Benedict "Well, he's not bad" because I saw him before on tumblr and couldn't understand why people find him attractive. It wasn't "love" at the first sight.

Last edited by Ivy (January 12, 2013 7:40 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 12, 2013 7:56 pm  #13

His hair in this actually changes hs appearance quite a lot, don't you think. The story s very complex but then it s about espionage.

January 12, 2013 7:59 pm  #14

I remember I didn't like the old TV version and didn't understand anything. I'm not a fan of spy stories in general but I liked the film, mainly for the actors who are really good.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 14, 2013 2:09 am  #15

I read somewhere that his hair color in this movie was his real color.  Yes, as Davina said, it changes his appearance completely.

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 14, 2013 6:42 am  #16

Well his natural colour is reddish.

January 14, 2013 6:07 pm  #17

I actually gre to like his hair in Tinker, Tailor. It did take some getting used to, but the more I watched the more I liked it. It does change his appearence greatly, but that's a great asset to have with so many roles to play.

This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 14, 2013 6:26 pm  #18

The scene where he breaks down and cries. 

January 14, 2013 7:03 pm  #19

I bought the dvd of tinker tailor soldier spy a few weeks ago and still haven't watched it. When I saw him in the role first I was a bit confused with the hair, but after have seen the dvd all these days in front of my desk I get used to it and I sort of like it.
But of course I don't know at all because I still had no time to watch it. My father said it's a good film, so I may watch it with him one of these days. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

«Oh! How? What does that matter? So we go 'round the sun. If we went 'round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear it wouldn't make any difference. All that matters to me is the work. Without that my brain rots. Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world»

January 14, 2013 7:39 pm  #20

It is good.
All the actors are excellent and yes, Benedict  made me cry.

Board footera