BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2012 11:32 am  #1

Back slang

This came up in the Sherlock Games - alphabet thread today in a little discussion  between the Mollykins and moi. So as I am a saddo I am now posting some links so that people who want to find out more can do so. I am also going to keep my eyes peeled in the ACD stories to see if it makes an appearance. Back slang is much less well-known than Cockney rhyming slang but is interesting nevertheless. The word that started off this bit of research was 'yobbo' or 'yob'.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_slang

www.grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/backslangterm.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 24, 2012 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Back slang

hmmm--  I  wondered where that word came from.   thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 24, 2012 11:48 pm  #3

Oh, interesting! Didn't know that existed. Would be rather complicated to actually have a conversation like that, wouldn't it? 

"I am a saddo" - What do you mean by that? 

I'm using this smiley too much: 

July 25, 2012 10:58 am  #4

It comes from the word 'sad' obviously but not a person who is unhappy but rather one who is a bit pathetic. It is a slang term, I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 25, 2012 11:27 pm  #5

Ah! Right, okay.

Board footera