BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2013 9:51 pm  #381

Re: Cumberspotting - most recent photos

Yes, I've been to one, not bad but quite touristy (if that's a word). And the menu is German. In case you want to have a look but I'm sure there are better choices: 

http://sixtiesdiner.de/sixties-diner-speisekarte/sixties-diners-breakfast-starters.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 27, 2013 10:20 pm  #382

ancientsgate wrote:

Ivy wrote:

It is called East London (who would have thought  ) It's lovely, tasty food, very friendly service. I like the interior (even the toilets )  http://eastlondon.de  

I checked out their website, fully expecting everything to be in German, but delighted to see everything, including the menus, were written in BritEnglish, so I could read it. Food looks good. That Sunday roast thing sounds intriguing. Not sure what loud and silent water is (on the non-alcoholic beverage menu). Lots of drinks I'd never heard of, but I at least knew what the food choices all were, at least I think so. Is the place owned by Brits?

Do you know of any American-style restaurants in Berlin? Not McDonald's, I don't mean that, but real sit-down restaurants? I'd be real curious to see what they serve.

I guess the loud/silent water is a joke!? They mean sparkling water/water without gas (still, flat). I don't know how you would call it in America. "Still" is the German word for silent.

The owner is German, but the two chefs (and at least one of service girls) are British and they have to make the food, so that's O.K. I guess

By the way, East London supports Fair Trade, and you can get things like Charitea and LemonAid there. 

Unfortunately I've never been to an American restaurant (McDonalds doesn't count, that's not really a restaurant and I'm not a fan anyway)

Last edited by Ivy (January 27, 2013 10:21 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 27, 2013 10:23 pm  #383

It looks lovely. And I know Mehringdamm, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Yummy. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 27, 2013 10:37 pm  #384

Ivy wrote:

I guess the loud/silent water is a joke!? They mean sparkling water/water without gas (still, flat). I don't know how you would call it in America. "Still" is the German word for silent.

We would just call that bottled water. There are different brands, of course. Sparkling water is called tonic water or club soda (the first is unsweetened, the second is sweetened), or it could be something like Perrier, which is naturally carbonated.

I googled Berlin, Germany, American style restaurants and came up with some hits, so they do exist. I looked through one place's menu and was surprised to see some Tex-Mex on there, but of course that *is* American, even though you don't find it in my neck of the woods.

January 27, 2013 10:40 pm  #385

I think in Germany most people think of Tex-Mex and burgers when American food is mentioned. We've been strongly influenced by the big fast food chains. I've been to New England once and tried some delicious things that weren't fast food. 

January 28, 2013 7:40 am  #386

Sparkling water would be a carbonated mineral water- yep like Perrier. Still mineral water would be the same but not carbonated. Tonic water or soda water are different beasts. Brits would drink these with gin (the former) and whisky (the latter).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 28, 2013 8:13 am  #387

Back to topic, ladies. Here's a pic from Berlin. I think they are in front of Altes Museum. The Cathedral would be to the right and it was said they're filming there. 

http://twitpic.com/bytlbb/full

(c) Bernd Havenstein

January 28, 2013 9:00 am  #388

Yes that's Altes Museum, designed by Schinkel. (I'm a fan)

That area is full of tourists, there is Humboldt University nearby as well. So very busy in the day time.

----------

January 28, 2013 10:30 am  #389

The Lustgarten that isn't a garden at all. And the big soup tureen in the middle. 

January 28, 2013 11:58 am  #390

I wouldn't call it garden either

http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/12060694/640/12060694.jpg

But the word LUSTgarten in connection with Ben is pretty spot on!

----------

January 28, 2013 12:36 pm  #391

Nice pic. And you're absolutely right about LUSTgarten. For the non-Germans speakers - it means exactly the same as in English. 

January 28, 2013 1:20 pm  #392

----------

January 28, 2013 4:35 pm  #393

Tee Hee!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 30, 2013 5:29 pm  #394

I think I prefer him with the"ear hat"....

Last edited by tiharoa (January 30, 2013 5:39 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

January 30, 2013 8:37 pm  #395

He makes a good Assange.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2013 7:47 am  #396

They're filming now in Belgium for 38 days! So Belgian Cumberfans should be on the lookout. Actually, I'm nearer to Belgium than to Berlin.

http://www.cineuropa.org/nw.aspx?t=newsdetail&l=en&did=232105

January 31, 2013 7:59 am  #397

Good luck

----------

February 3, 2013 10:19 pm  #398

Oh, by the way, Benedict had lunch with James Rhodes today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 3, 2013 10:22 pm  #399

Good for him. 

February 7, 2013 10:19 am  #400

Here's a tweet from Moritz Bleibtreu, filming The Fifth Estate in Brussels:

Moritz Bleibtreu ‏@MoritzBleibtreu
good work, good times- #thefifthestate #BenedictCumberbatch #Sherlock @ wolvengracht http://instagr.am/p/VaRROXhnsP/

http://instagram.com/p/VaRROXhnsP/

Board footera