BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2012 6:36 am  #81

Re: Olympics

Oh I see.  thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 12, 2012 6:38 am  #82

sherlockskitty wrote:

HOW  can medals cost the taxpayers money?

Oh dear, this happens all over the world.
You should look into what the Chinese give anyone who wins a gold medal.

Heavens knows what funds the USA put towards the Olympics also.
Yes, any kind of success on a world stage is usually backed by tax-payer's money somewhere.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 12, 2012 3:31 pm  #83

The German field hockey men's team won gold in a sensational match against the Netherlands 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 12, 2012 8:02 pm  #84

I wonder do we have the same closing ceremony pictures on German TV than on BBC?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 12, 2012 8:37 pm  #85

It's all so quiet.... shhh... shhh.. 

August 12, 2012 8:44 pm  #86

We're all watching TV right now...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 12, 2012 8:54 pm  #87

REALLY?     

August 12, 2012 11:41 pm  #88

yes,  the images seen in germany  for the closing  are the same that we see all over the world. It just depends upon where your network puts its silly  commercials.  I know it's on,  guys,  but I  get to watch it  in three more hours.  It gives me time to do my housework before mum gets here.  My tv is bigger than hers, you see. Have fun!!   I just hope it's great!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 13, 2012 12:47 am  #89

.. and just when we thought nothing really surprising happens, a cannon misfires.. fantastic!

August 13, 2012 2:24 pm  #90

Just had to post this. Sepp Blatter the President of FIFA which is the governing body of Football (soccer) presented the medals for the Women's football at Wembley Stadium the other night. The reaction of the spectators to the announcement that he was there to award medals is astounding. If you watch the whole video it explains why he is disliked...just a bit!

Last edited by Davina (August 13, 2012 2:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 13, 2012 4:56 pm  #91

Oh  that's mean to dislike someone just because....Ok  I  didn't watch the video. 

Ok  I  didn't like the rock concert part of the closing.  The only things I did like were russell brand playing willy wonka,  the spice girls on those colorful cars, (which one was Victoria Beckham??) and that misfiring cannon with eric Idle  per monty Python.   THEN  it  got a LOT better after the  flags were passed from London to Rio.  Oh  my goodness.   Such beauty!!  in 4 years we get to see Rio  in all its splendor.  Of course in two years the winter ones will be in Russia.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 13, 2012 9:00 pm  #92

Victoria Beckham was the one in the black dress that was short at the front and long at the back. She was the one who didn't actually move a whole lot!

Did you watch the video of the booing Skitty? If you did then you would realise  he was booed, especially at a women's football match.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 13, 2012 9:39 pm  #93

Channel 4 is broadcasting the Paralympics here in the UK. I don't know what coverage you will be getting in your country but I shall be watching. They are Superhuman!

Last edited by Davina (August 13, 2012 9:40 pm)

August 14, 2012 3:19 pm  #94

Ok, look call me daft but what was the idea behind the Pet Shop Boys costuming?

There were others I didn't get but this one springs to mind at the moment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 14, 2012 3:21 pm  #95

Oh and I did find it amusing that , with recent history, they chose to 'celebrate' the British printed media.

"Awkward"

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 14, 2012 3:44 pm  #96

I think they once did a video in such costumes but I don't remember the song.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 15, 2012 12:21 am  #97

oh  that was just plain silly.  the only thing I can think of,  is that they were spoofing the Conehead characters on the Sat nite live show.  (also it was a movie starring dan ackroyd)  It was just disgusing.  closing ceremony for me was disappointing and I'm not even British!!  Yes  I  saw Victoria--she looked a bit unhappy  doing that reunion.  the other girls were better and prettier.  and those fancy cars they rode on top of--  now that was a joy. 

who got booed?

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 15, 2012 5:47 am  #98

The fancy cars were all hackney text cabs. As for Victoria Beckham...she ALWAYS looks like that I.e. bloody miserable.

August 16, 2012 3:44 am  #99

SusiGo wrote:

I think they once did a video in such costumes but I don't remember the song.

Hmm, found some similar pics of them with odd things on their heads, but still doesn't seem to 'gel' with the whole evening.

I found THIS review of their outfits:

We thought that supermodels and the Spice Girls were the only fashion-y peeps at last night’s Closing Ceremony. But as it turns out, the New Wave group Pet Shop Boys rocked the crowd in avant garde designs by British designer Gareth Pugh during their performance in the Olympic Stadium.
Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe sang “West End Girls" in all-black ensembles as bikers drove them around the stadium. Tennant wore a black striped overcoat, while Lowe werked a hairy (furry?) jacket and black bottoms. Both topped off their outfits with extremely large conical hats, complete with visors. The bike riders wore striped bodysuits, and orange hats with eye openings, and the whole thing was (perhaps appropriately) reminiscent of the costumes Pugh designed for Wayne Gregor‘s ballet "Carbon Life" .
Leave it up to Pugh to make a silent fashion statement at the Olympics:

Good lord, a designer ADMITS to being involved with that?!

Anyway I have never forgiven them for stealing Go West from the Village People, lol ( They didn't, they paid for it .. but .... blech!)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

August 16, 2012 9:09 am  #100

I do love a bit of the Pet Shop Boys though.

Board footera