BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2012 7:33 am  #41

Re: Olympics

It started at 9p.m. And finished behind schedule at about 12.45 a.m. So it lasted ages. I loved it. It was BRILLIANT!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2012 7:43 am  #42

I missed the opening ceremony. Just cudn't stay awake for so late. It had to start at about 1:30 am IST. Anyways, I found this .. "Benedict Cumberbatch - Opening the BBC Coverage of the 2012 Olympic Games". Omg..his voice!!!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CR1_aPtoKw0#!

Edit: Just saw this video has already been posted in a separate thread. Sorry

Last edited by monitaa (July 28, 2012 7:58 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

July 28, 2012 10:58 am  #43

That's fine though since this IS the Olympics thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2012 11:00 am  #44

Watching swimming, men's gymnastics and the cycling...not quite all at the same time but nearly. Can't wait for next Saturday...excited!

July 28, 2012 12:40 pm  #45

Whoop! Great Britain's men's gymnasts have made the final for the first time since 1924!

July 28, 2012 12:49 pm  #46

I think my favourite shot in the opening ceremony was the one of the 2 corgis on the steps of the palace, looking up at the helicopter as it left; lol.

Oh and please take note: Bo Rhap had the longest playing section of video of any of the songs used.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 28, 2012 12:58 pm  #47

I found out that we've got tickets!!!
...to Greco-Roman Wrestling... 
I'm sure it'll be great; sweaty men in wedgie-suits is just my thing! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

July 28, 2012 2:01 pm  #48

Thanks to whomever posted about how long the actual ceremony lasted (I forget who it was, sorry).  NBC broadcast it from 8pm - 12am but it was interspersed with commercials and an interview with Michael Phelps (and which to me was really boring; I'm not a fan of him).  They cut some of the countries walking in--after the commercial breaks, they'd announce which ones had entered in the interval.  Commercials really can be so annoying!

Molly, I'm sure you'll have fun watching the wrestling.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 28, 2012 5:58 pm  #49

Ah! That's the beauty of the BBC no commercials! Danny Boyle is a genius. The rings being hauled up after being forged and then pouring with glowing waterfalls was marvellous.

July 28, 2012 7:11 pm  #50

yeah  I  had to watch it on NBC  too with all of those ANNOYING  commercials!!   And I  get the BBCA   channel  but it wasn't on there.   If it was,  then I missed it.   I  loved the queen's skit  with daniel craig.   HOW  did they get her to agree to that???  It was funny  and amazing at the same time.   yeah  that shot of her corgis  looking up at the departing helicopter was brilliant.  I  think THAT  is how they may have  topped the opening ceremony in Bejiing, ( altho  I  still think  that that was the best and colorful one I've seen to date) 

I  didn't understand the Frankie and June  thing--can  someone explain that?  I  must say  I  didn't enjoy that part. 

I  did love the  industrial revolution,  the dancing nurses and the children  in  bed  and the lord  voldemort  nightmare--...100  feet tall  that was!!!  Then they had Mary Poppins dropping from the sky;   And oh---Sir Paul McCartney---He looks really good!!   I  loved how he got the crowd involved.    All in all,  it was good. 

And no,  we didn't see Ben;  so  thanks  for posting that  you tube video  of it.   What was the purpose of that part?  will it be on dvd?

Also--  that movie  GOING FOR GOLD--will that be re-airing anytime soon?   It starred Matt Smith  and is about the 1948 olympics.   Does anyone here have any info on it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 28, 2012 8:46 pm  #51

It is available on I-player at the moment. I would hope that the BBC may release it on DVD. What do you mean by the Frankie and June thing? I'm not sure which part you mean.

July 28, 2012 8:54 pm  #52

Thought I would mention that the inclusion of Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Sir Tim Berners-Lee in the Opening Ceremony last night was both inspired and inspiring.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners_Lee

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel

July 28, 2012 11:30 pm  #53

For anyone who may be interested, the official Media Guide to the Olympics can be read or downloaded (pdf) here

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/Publications/01/30/43/40/OPENINGCEREMONYGUIDE_English.pdf

July 28, 2012 11:36 pm  #54

.. love the comments on the BBC Opening:

Top Comments
Gold medal to Britain for sexiest voiceover. In history.

8 hours ago 32 likes

He of all people should know to stay away from the London cabbies.

16 hours ago 174  likes

lol!

July 29, 2012 1:49 am  #55

Davina wrote:

What do you mean by the Frankie and June thing? I'm not sure which part you mean.

The Frankie and June thing was the scene with all the teen kids dancing and having their cell phones and ipad technologies and the house with all the images projected on to it.  It was supposed to represent British youth coming into the future (I think).  Very energetic but I didn't quite get it either.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 29, 2012 2:40 am  #56

According to the NBC commentary, it's supposed to represent the digital age. I didn't enjoy it that much either. It seemed to just be a ton of people dancing and that rapper guy rapping. It was probably just a chance for him to preform. 

To swimming- just watched Phelps get 4th place. It must be so discouraging to come from Beijing winning so many medals to London and losing your first race.  Ah well, only one person can win, and Lochte deserved it. 

July 29, 2012 4:03 am  #57

yeah  Keeper described the frankie and june thing.   My  mum said it looked like something from MTV  which  is a music television channel here in the USA.  And thx for posting the info  on the ceremony  janeco!!   thanks all for the help. 

I've  been looking for a written    display  on  what times  and dates  and channels  the O events will be aired.   Can't  find one that I really  like,  but nbcolympics.com  has a pretty good listing.  And my  tv  channel lineup  isn't really helpful.   sheesh,  what am I doing here now?  I shud be watching the olympics  replay  on NBC!!   sheesh.   Byeeeeeee!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 29, 2012 2:04 pm  #58

The rapper guy is Dizzee Rascal and he comes from literally just around the corner from the Olympic Park. He is an East Londoner, a very nice guy and has a genuine bond with the place and people. The technology was a link to the change in industry but also to show the innovations of recent years. This is a fairly honest display of what the youth of today in the UK are like.

July 29, 2012 8:36 pm  #59

Here's the link for the BBC film of The Queen and James Bond (a.k.a. Daniel Craig) from the Olympics Opening Ceremony.

July 29, 2012 8:38 pm  #60

So hilarious...    

Board footera