BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2012 6:33 pm  #21

Re: Olympics

Yes, how crazy is it in London today? 

Can't wait for the opening ceremony! It's really weird, my tv guide says it starts at 6:30 tonight and it's live, but for some reason I don't think it's actually starting at 1-2 in the morning...

I heard on the news today that they've already started some of the events. It's strange that some of the events start before the opening...

July 27, 2012 6:46 pm  #22

Hi SKitty, Arya, the official opening ceremony starts at 9.00pm this evening here. The run-up programme started about 40 minutes ago, 7.00pm. Please see my post on 'Benedict's non Sherlock work' thread  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 27, 2012 6:49 pm  #23

It is overcast and humid about 25 degrees. Looks like it might rain but hopefully not. They have had several practices this week and technical rehearsals but everyone has been good who have been in the audience and have kept it secret. It starts at 9pm here tonight. The roads ae pretty deserted at the moment. I think everyone has headed home early.

I agree that it is really strange to have events start before the opening ceremony...what's that all about? I especially felt sorry for the British women's football team, who played New Zealand a couple of days ago. Fancy having to pay in your home Olympics before it's officially started! Mind you women's football does not get much support or interest here (no thanks to the FA) and we are getting left behind by the rest of the World as a result! Rant over!

I cannot wait to see what Danny Boyle and David Arnold do for the ceremony. Exciting!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 27, 2012 6:51 pm  #24

Forty minutes to go over here. I bet they won't show Ben's introduction, thank God it's on Youtube.

Last edited by SusiGo (July 27, 2012 6:55 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2012 6:52 pm  #25

Tobe has posted a YT link to the opening of the programme on the above thread

July 27, 2012 7:07 pm  #26

Just watching a report about Michelle Obama having a kick of a soccer ball. God, she is gorgeous, her hubby deserved to be re-elected for having such a hot wife (and he is pretty hot himself) What, I'm shallow, have you only now realised?

Last edited by hepzibah (July 27, 2012 7:08 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 27, 2012 7:43 pm  #27

Well someone on Twitter is not happy with the weather!

Elizabeth Windsor @Queen_UK
Oh Jesus, it's pissing with sodding rain. Tell one there's not a barge involved, just tell one. #olympicceremony

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 27, 2012 7:58 pm  #28

one is now following Queen_UK for the duration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 27, 2012 9:53 pm  #29

Hilarious Queenie!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 27, 2012 9:58 pm  #30

Davina, why aren't you tweeting, girlie, we are having so much fun

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 27, 2012 10:00 pm  #31

I am watching the opening ceremony. Although the athletes are walking around a bit now and it's a bit...BORING! I will be tweeting in a min! Lol!

July 27, 2012 10:03 pm  #32

When the German team entered they were playing "Stayin' alive".

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 27, 2012 10:41 pm  #33

hahahaha!!!   so  the  ceremony  will be TAPED  for us  in the USA,  right?   Oh  come on!!   I  just read an article on my  homepage,  that says  there will be something  for us Dr  Who  fans  they'll have mary poppins,  harry potter,  etc....STUFF!!   And  what is this about our boy  Ben?   I  KNEW   he was up to something!!!!   and what channel  are you watching it on?

and is that really  queen elizabeth who's  doing the tweets?  I  don't think so, do you?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 27, 2012 10:44 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 27, 2012 10:54 pm  #34

I'm watching it on German channel ZDF. Almost 1.00 a.m. here. Now the British team is entering...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 27, 2012 11:00 pm  #35

Hi Tobe, it is 9am in Australia, I have been watching since 6am, tweeting with the girls as well.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

July 27, 2012 11:06 pm  #36

Just read a summary of the opening online and planning to look at some video later.

My best wishes to all the athletes (especially my fellow Americans) and to our gracious British hosts!

July 28, 2012 12:04 am  #37

Aw, that was beautiful! Well done, well done.
I got soooo excited when Kenneth Branagh made an apearance... I love Kenneth.
And I loved the part where they showed the huge burning olympic rings. And Rowan Atkinson!
Oh, and the part where the Queen "jumped" out of the helicopter... hilarious! 
And Hey Jude! And a gigantic Voldemort!

Yeah, I'm still a bit excited as you might notice. ;)
I'm a it disappointed there wasn't any David Tennant/Doctor who in the end... or Sherlock. I mean, they had Bond, Potter and all that and come on, Doctor who and Sherlock Holmes are also huge parts of British pop culture.

I laughed so hard at the German team entering with "Stayin' Alive"... :D

Last edited by Sammy (July 28, 2012 12:05 am)

July 28, 2012 12:31 am  #38

Mmmm, I missed it! 

Some friends of mine will go to London and have tickets for Olympics.
To be honest: All I could think was: Who needs Olympics when he can be in LONDON?
For my self-defence: my first and last visit to London was 27 years ago...

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 28, 2012 2:02 am  #39

Yes, the London aspect is what's really interesting for me. I don't care for the sports that much.

I know one of the German athletes, he's a... what's the word? Canoeist. His name is Max Hoff. So of course I'll have to cheer for him and maybe he will bring a medal back home!

I still can't get over the scene with the Queen and Daniel Craig... priceless! 

July 28, 2012 4:58 am  #40

Somehow I never saw this thread until now (perhaps because I've been busy working on a project for work).  Absolutely LOVE the new Olympic events!  Brilliant, as they and we say.   

I enjoyed the Opening Ceremony, but wonder how long it actually lasted in real time.  I watched it on NBC and every 15 or so minutes there were commercials.  My favorite part was James Bond and the Queen. 

Good luck to all the athletes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera