BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2012 7:57 am  #1

Katharina Blum

This is not really a book recommendation, but something I remembered when watching the Reichenbach.
Has anyone here ever read "Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum" by Heinrich Böll (the English translation is called The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum appearently)?

I read it back in secondary school, so don't remember it all that well, but basically the story deals with the destructive powers of sensationalist journalism. A woman is dragged into a news story she initially has nothing to do with, and it ends up destroying her life completely.It's a little dated by now (it's from the 1970s if I remember correctly), but still fascinating to read.

I was immediately reminded of this book when I saw Kitty Riley and her sleazy ways of trying to get a story, never stopping to care about who gets hurt along the way.

Any thoughts on that, or maybe other book recommendations on the same topic?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 19, 2012 2:47 pm  #2

Re: Katharina Blum

And these days, it can happen even faster with the Internet.

July 19, 2012 3:03 pm  #3

I read the book and watched the film, but that was a long time ago. Katharina was associated with RAF terrorism, wasn't she? Fassbinder was a great director, I remember that I liked both. I'll think about other novels etc. dealing with this subject, there must be more of this.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2012 3:21 pm  #4

Never read the book (in school we didn't have to...), but had thoughts last night similar to veecee's post. I know what she means and this doesn't fit exactly because it's probably harmless, still, but:

In internet we found pics from Ben made a few hours ago (premiere in London). Same time I was informed that Alan Rickman has been spotted two days ago by a fan in Savannah (inclunding pics).
Though it's fascinating me I find it scaring sometimes.... So when I went to bed I told hubby "I think I wouldn't want to be a star these days...."

Far away from Katarina Blum, though.........

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 19, 2012 4:04 pm  #5

It seems to be the price you have to pay for being a celebrity. Some people argue that stars earn so much money and are so privileged that they simply have to accept the loss of privacy. This is or course debatable. I only hope that people like Ben are able to deal with this and preserve a sort of private life. I think for people who get famous at a very young age this might be more difficult than for him.

But with Katharina Blum it is different as she is a perfectly average, unknown woman whose life is destroyed by the despicable practices of a tabloid paper. It has always been a method of BILD Zeitung (the paper in question) to pillory people and this can be done in the Internet as well, one much faster and more wide-spread than in the press.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2012 6:41 pm  #6

I will try to get this book on Amazon and read it. I really enjoy reading Heinrich Boell's work, especially his short stories which I have in a collection called Der Zug Kommt Punktlich ( at least I think that is the title). The power of the media including the Internet is incredible. Much has been made of that here in the UK recently with regard to the Murdoch newspaper empire and phone hacking etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 20, 2012 6:48 am  #7

SusiGo wrote:

I read the book and watched the film, but that was a long time ago. Katharina was associated with RAF terrorism, wasn't she? Fassbinder was a great director, I remember that I liked both. I'll think about other novels etc. dealing with this subject, there must be more of this.

I didn't even know that there is a film to the book, interesting.
Yes, if I recall correctly she was supposed to be involved with RAF terrorists, which shows the age of the story. But I guess you can replace the RAF with any current "threat", and it still works today.

SusiGo wrote:

It seems to be the price you have to pay for being a celebrity. Some people argue that stars earn so much money and are so privileged that they simply have to accept the loss of privacy. This is or course debatable.

I do believe that things are slightly different for artists who at least initially choose to stand in the lime light (though it should never be acceptable to spread lies about anyone) - but Sherlock Holmes did not ask for the publicity he received, he did not seek to be famous. The difference to Katharina Blum's case is maybe that because the media attention was positive at first, Sherlock enjoyed it and saw how it helped him get new, interesting clients even though John (and maybe others) did try to warn him that he was getting too much exposure, and that the press would eventually turn against him.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 20, 2012 6:53 am  #8

Yo frog, you have mail.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

Board footera