BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2012 2:29 pm  #21

Re: Erotic rewrite of A Study in Scarlet

Davina, I certainly understand your perspective and now that I've read the Radio Times article (which I hadn't before posting my previous post), I agree that the publisher is just out to make money off a current trend.  I thought it was a fanfic writer who was writing the erotic adaptation, because many of the subsequent comments in this thread were about writing fanfiction, but the article doesn't say that.

Nevertheless, Kazza, I am sorry that you don't like fanfiction.  There is good stuff out there.  I do agree with you, though, that a lot of Sherlock fanfic is schlock and, in fact, I read very little Sherlock stuff because I don't have time to wade through it all to find the good stories.  But there are fanfic writers who care a lot about making the characters true to the original and try hard to do so, and that's what I like to read and do my best to write.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

August 5, 2012 4:50 pm  #22

I love fan fic. I don't read crap, though. Not interested in stories written by teenagers. Teenaged girls. Since I'm pretty choosy, I have found the quality of authorship in the fan fic world to be equal to that of professional short story writers and novelists, those folks found in NY Times Bestseller Land.

I usually find the really good stories through fic rec lists, where others have found what they enjoyed and then passed along their recommendations. I've already found some fantastic Sherlock/John stories that way.

Fortunately, fan fic is very easy to avoid for those who don't like it. Those who do like fan fic but who would never go near Johnlock, for instance, can avoid that. Those looking for Johnlock and who are bored by gen or friendship fic can avoid those. Easy peasy. We can pull up to the banquet table, or eat at home, whichever we choose. No reason to rain on anyone's parade, whatever our unique perspective-- it's a big, wide, free world out there.

August 5, 2012 4:58 pm  #23

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Nevertheless, Kazza, I am sorry that you don't like fanfiction.  There is good stuff out there.  I do agree with you, though, that a lot of Sherlock fanfic is schlock and, in fact, I read very little Sherlock stuff because I don't have time to wade through it all to find the good stories.  But there are fanfic writers who care a lot about making the characters true to the original and try hard to do so, and that's what I like to read and do my best to write.

I've sent KP a few recs of Johnlock stuff I've enjoyed-- not sure if that's your persuasion or not. If it is, if you ask her, she could send you my own recs. My preference is to novel-length stories, but I've recced a few shorter ones, too. It *is* hard to know where to start, especially as someone comes into a new fandom. I really think if you use fan fic rec sites, you'll be led to some really good stories.

I think good fan fic writers are golden-- for me, they actually add more to the original BBC story, and they absolutely do not take away anything from that 'verse. They help me see the characters in new, novel, fascinating ways. They make me think. I'm intrigued by all the various ways different authors "understand" the original characters, pointing out to me all over again how arrogant we each are when we think we have the characters all figured out-- that our way of understanding them is the *only* way. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If the characters are treated respectfully, if I can "hear" the voices of the original actors, and if the authors have them acting believably, I am so there! Rather than taking away from my experience with the show, they enhance it-- tie it up with a pink ribbon, pack it in a pretty pink suitcase, and present it to me to own, use, play with and stick on a shelf when I'm done. Lovely.

August 6, 2012 2:08 am  #24

Please, could I have some recs too as I am,too, too busy to trawl on-line for hours for good FanFiction?

August 6, 2012 3:19 am  #25

The Doctor wrote:

Please, could I have some recs too as I am,too, too busy to trawl on-line for hours for good FanFiction?

Do we have a fan fic rec thread here on the forum? If not, maybe I should start one. But I won't be reccing anything but Johnlock, since it's all I read.

A place to start is at Archive of Our Own (in fannish places, you'll see it called AO3). Use their search engine to find Sherlock (TV)-- pick that one, not the regular Sherlock list. It will give you what's been posted lately in the Sherlock 'verse, newest listed first. If you have a certain author you want to follow, you can put that name in their search engine (follow the prompts). I usually find things by just going down the recently posted list and finding fic descriptions/pairings that sound interesting and just taking a chance. Found a nice one just tonight where John had the ability to see people's auras; it was unique and quite fascinating.

August 6, 2012 5:41 am  #26

Would you like to open a thread down in the fanfic section of the board as well for links etc. for those who aree interested?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera