BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2012 7:28 am  #1

BBC Worldwide profits

Thanks, at least in part, to Sherlock, BBC Worldwide's profits have risen by 8% in headline profit in the financial year 2011/12. Sherlock, along with a number of other programmes, such as Doctor Who and Top Gear have each been sold to over 100 international markets.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 18, 2012 9:34 am  #2

Re: BBC Worldwide profits

That's because we have all bought the DVDs of the 2 series to keep us going until series 3, and will all probably have to buy replacement copies when our original wear out (any day now) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

July 18, 2012 9:49 am  #3

That could indeed be the case, at least for me. But then the BBC does really excellent programmes and I've always liked their literary adaptations. It's a pity you get so much American trash in Germany (no offense, there are brilliant US shows, but they seem to buy everything nowadays) when they'd only have to look over the Channel.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 18, 2012 5:43 pm  #4

Thanks for posting this, I had wondered what Sherlock's contribution to the coffers had been. I seem to remember 180 countries had bought the series. It seems the BEEB have just sold Bush House and Broadcasting Centre and reduced their main stars' salaries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 21, 2012 7:47 pm  #5

I love the BBC!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 29, 2012 1:35 am  #6

I'm American, but I hate most US tv programming. I love BBC...if it weren't for BBC America I'd have nothing to watch on tv. US tv programming is terrible. We can't seem to do anything original anymore, the few good shows produced every now and then get booted after a few months, and we can't seem to do a good literary or period piece. And don't get me started on our attempts to copy British programming -- I loved the UK versions of The Office and Coupling but hated the US versions. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here... 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

July 29, 2012 8:16 am  #7

I do like some American programmes. The comedy shows are often very strong and I am/was a great fan of Frasier, Big Bang Theory and Scrubs. There are a few good British comedies but generally they are not as strong as they once were and often are positively cringeworthy. I love Outnumbered...catch it if you can.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 29, 2012 11:26 am  #8

On my Series 1 Sherlock DVDs, there's actually a cute ad for BBC America that I always enjoy.  In one part the announcer says:

"Britain produces dramas like Puerto Rico produces shortstops. When you take a class ridden society with no ability to express it's emotions and let it simmer for a thousand years, you frankly have the perfect recipe for drama."

I always find that very amusing 

'Outnumbered' is one of my favorite comedies.  The casting is perfection!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera