BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 16, 2012 4:41 pm  #1

Comics and graphic novels

Who here reads these things? I'm a comic book fan myself, although I don't own a million comics nor have I read as many as some of the geeks out there. But there's a bunch of comic book series I like, for instance...

Chew
100 Bullets
Sandman
Transmetropolitan
Spawn (a favorite from my teen years)
Bone
Preacher

I just spent an hour making an ultimate list of the best Batman graphic novels, now that THE DARK KNIGHT RISES premier is just a few days away. I have some Batman graphic novels myself like THE KILLING JOKE and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS but there's many more I must have.

Who here reads and/or collects comics?

Last edited by Dramagod (July 16, 2012 6:08 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

July 21, 2012 9:57 pm  #2

Re: Comics and graphic novels

Oh! Err, me.
But more occasionally... I don't own like a huge collection or something.
Funny you mention "The Killing Joke", I looked at my copy of it today (because I was rearranging my bookshelf, hehe).   It's a pretty good one, isn't it?
But actually I'm more of a manga person... of THESE I do have a huge collection, hahaha.

July 27, 2012 1:50 pm  #3

@Sammy - Yeah KILLING JOKE is awesome. My favorite Joker story. So what graphic novels do you own? What are your favorite series?

I cycled to town today to get BLACKSAD VOL.1 in Finnish but found only the other volumes. Didn't want to come home empty-handed so I grabbed the Fantastic Four: The End TPB for 5 euros on my way home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 15, 2012 7:57 pm  #4

In US comic books i really like Mike Mignola's universe : Hellboy (not the movies), Baltimore, Sir Edward Grey Witchfinder etc...

And of course french authors like Joann Sfar and Lewis Trondheim for example and other stuff french or not.

August 15, 2012 8:14 pm  #5

Oh, damn I forgot this thread..

Hm... I really like the Batman franchise. And the X-Men. I guess to my favourite series definitely belongs The Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

I'm thinking about reading "Y: The last man" since everybody says it's so good. Do you know it? If so, is it really good?

August 15, 2012 8:26 pm  #6

"V for Vendetta" i liked this one !

August 21, 2012 12:03 pm  #7

I don't own many comics, but the library here has a pretty good selection. I'll read just about anything with Spider-man, Daredevil, Storm, or Wolverine in it.
Other favorites:
Runaways
Brightest Day/ Blackest Night
X-men: Second Coming (I think I cried reading this one)
X-factor
I've also read some Ultimate Spider-man, and a tiny bit of AvX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "It's this or Cluedo."
John: "Ah, no. We are never playing that again."
Sherlock: "Why not?"
John: "Because it's not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock!"

October 15, 2012 7:48 pm  #8

Oh, I love comics and graphic novels Just starting up my collection though. Thanks to my friend, I've read MANY of the Batmans. I also loved The Killing Joke. I'm reading The Walking Dead, Thor, Wonder Woman, and X-Men. I'm also reading a horror series called Locke & Key and it is AMAZING. Sammy, I also like manga. I'm not into a lot but I like Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon. Trying to find another series to get into.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 15, 2012 9:00 pm  #9

"Batman: The Man Who Laughs" arrived in the mail today. I like the artwork of the first half more than the second one. Haven't read it yet but I've heard Brubaker is a great writer so I have high(ish) hopes.

October 15, 2012 9:40 pm  #10

Haven't heard of that one for some reason. Let us know how it is I've been wanting to read Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls but I haven't been able to buy it yet.

October 16, 2012 8:07 am  #11

Yeah I havent read any of the New 52 either but I hear Batman had a really strong start and I can't wait to get Batman Vol.1 cause from what I hear the story is amazing and it's illustrated by Greg Capullo, an old favorite of mine who I first became familiar with when he started drawing Spawn in the mid-nineties. I love his drawing style.

Last edited by Dramagod (October 16, 2012 8:09 am)

October 16, 2012 6:54 pm  #12

Yeah, I've also heard it's amazing

Board footera