BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 21, 2013 12:20 am  #61

Re: Noticed any mistakes?

I've noticed a mistake. I never notice them but I have now. Is it sad that it makes me so happy?

When Sherlock is talking to Dimmock in Van Coon's flat, just before he leaves, he puts both of his gloves on. As he turns and leaves, only seconds later, he is still putting them on.

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 1, 2013 3:35 am  #62

One thing I've always noticed in TBB is that when Sherlock is dodging bullets in the museum, and he dives across the floor to the base of a statue that looks like it weighs  2 tons, the statue moves ever so slightly.  Obviously, not really two tons. (This is not to be confused with the Chinese statue in the London museum that is mysteriously rotating  )

BTW, had a great time with hubby and TBB last night.  It was the one episode I hadn't made him watch yet - but last night was The Night. What was special was that we took the DVD over to his classroom in the music department where he teaches. There's a large flat screen TV on the wall with an excellent sound system.  We popped some pop corn, brought drinks, notified Security we'd be in the building until late, then settled in. The quality was so excellent it was like being in a movie theater.  Because it was so good, I made Peter play the last scenes of TRF.  It hit me emotionally like a ton of bricks - just like it did the first time I saw it.  Fabulous!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 1, 2013 4:02 am  #63

KeepersPrice wrote:

One thing I've always noticed in TBB is that when Sherlock is dodging bullets in the museum, and he dives across the floor to the base of a statue that looks like it weighs 2 tons, the statue moves ever so slightly. Obviously, not really two tons. (This is not to be confused with the Chinese statue in the London museum that is mysteriously rotating

That's interesting, KP - haven't noticed this one before!

Turning the classroom into a movie theatre - great idea. Hopefully, you were careful with the popcorn. Otherwise cleaners will get suspicious...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 1, 2013 10:25 am  #64

Don't know where to put it: optical illusion, Escher, just funny. There are possibly more to be found.

August 16, 2013 8:31 pm  #65

TBB is one of my favorite episodes. Ok, actually all 6 episodes are my favorites.
But there are only 2 things (mistakes) which annoy me:
First (it was said here already): The tourists are NOT GERMAN, they should be, but they sound like english guys who TRY to speak german. It sounds weird. And the sentences are not right. Hm.
Besides that everybody seems to think that to speak German means = shouting.

Second (like the first post): I also do not understand how Sherlock could not notice at all that somebody is John knocking over the head at the doorstep to 221b (right?) and then carry/drag two (!!) people away. I did not get this. We talk about Sherlock, who notices everything around him ...
Hm...

August 16, 2013 8:44 pm  #66

mrsjohnwatson wrote:

TBB is one of my favorite episodes. Ok, actually all 6 episodes are my favorites.
First (it was said here already): The tourists are NOT GERMAN, they should be, but they sound like english guys who TRY to speak german. It sounds weird. And the sentences are not right. Hm.

Second (like the first post): I also do not understand how Sherlock could not notice at all that somebody is John knocking over the head at the doorstep to 221b (right?) and then carry/drag two (!!) people away. I did not get this. We talk about Sherlock, who notices everything around him ...
Hm...

Well, they usually can't even get Americans right, so I just write off a foreign language completely XD

Second, Sherlock's not near the flat when John and Sarah are taken.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 16, 2013 10:08 pm  #67

sj4iy wrote:

mrsjohnwatson wrote:

Hm...

Well, they usually can't even get Americans right, so I just write off a foreign language completely XD

Second, Sherlock's not near the flat when John and Sarah are taken.

Thx for your reply! I laughed so hard about your comment.  Yeah, I guess, I should be not surprised by it (or irritated or offended XD).
Otherwise ... Their writing (Moftiss ;-)) is so clever and witty, so maybe I expect a high level in everything... ?
And: Sherlock is near the flat when they kidnap John and Sarah. I've watched the ep a few days ago and "observed" ... "and made a deduction" ;-) ... He is about 20-30 steps away. Mysterious...

August 18, 2013 10:51 am  #68

I wondered why they didn't use German actors. Maybe they couldn't find any with Equity cards.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 18, 2013 2:36 pm  #69

I remember groaning the first time I watched ASiB when the "American" started talking.  I thought "great, they got an Irish guy to do it" because of the weird way he was pronouncing the words.  So I looked it up- the actor really WAS American...just Midwestern and trying to not sound Midwestern...which is why he sounded so funny to me.

Last edited by sj4iy (August 18, 2013 2:37 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

August 18, 2013 2:45 pm  #70

Swanpride wrote:

The problem with the "German speakers" is that they use the right words, but in english structure.

IMO, it's more about using German sentences a native German never would use in this situation.
"Gib mir doch mein Buch zurück!" ("Give me back my book!") may be grammatically correct but I'd rather say: "Gib mir sofort mein Buch wieder!" which isn't that correct but more authentic.
(Oh - they could have asked me to play that part!)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 18, 2013 2:46 pm  #71

Swanpride wrote:

The problem with the "German speakers" is that they use the right words, but in english structure. I think that the actors would have done a fine enough job with the right text, but whoever translated it was not a native speaker. (But honestly, not even Grimm does this, and the show has German texts all the time!)

Totally my opinion. Sherlock is not the only show who uses english actors to speak german. In another TV show the last words of a woman, who was supposed to be german, were: "Und wieder finde ich mich in deinen Armen wieder" (I again find myself in your arms). That's a typical moment where you acknowledge that it was definitely not a german scriptwriter who wrote that line, more of a bad translation, even though the grammar is correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 18, 2013 3:07 pm  #72

tobeornot221b wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

The problem with the "German speakers" is that they use the right words, but in english structure.

IMO, it's more about using German sentences a native German never would use in this situation.
"Gib mir doch mein Buch zurück!" ("Give me back my book!") may be grammatically correct but I'd rather say: "Gib mir sofort mein Buch wieder!" which isn't that correct but more authentic.
(Oh - they could have asked me to play that part!)

Grammar is definitely the most important thing to get right, because if a German wouldn't say it, even if it's technically correct...it's not correct.  I was thinking that, if the situation had been changed to Japanese tourists, and they had the tourists say "Watashi no hon wo kaeshite!" how that would be a correct translation of "Give me my book back!", but it would NOT be anything a Japanese person actually says.  They aren't that direct.  They would be more surprised than anything, and probably just say "Nani wo...?!"  as in "What the...?!"  So, probably even someone who had taken German for a while would have known the correct way to have said it, but I guess they didn't have the time to find one.

August 18, 2013 3:53 pm  #73

Maybe the so called German tourists, were actually English, but they thought Sherlock was German  and so spoke to him in bad German.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 18, 2013 4:20 pm  #74

Brilliant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 18, 2013 11:19 pm  #75

Obvious.

No, serious: Sherlock, that was a fine deduction. Maybe the only logical assumption, you would say.

August 19, 2013 7:47 am  #76

A great deduction indeed! Why else would Sherlock be so desperately in need of an A-Z if he weren't a German tourist?
But seriously, when I heard them talk for the first time I actually wasn't so sure what kind of language that was supposed to be. It sounded German, but then again it also sounded pretty weird.

But at least 'Rache' is the German word for 'revenge', right?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 1, 2013 8:34 pm  #77

SolarSystem wrote:

A great deduction indeed! Why else would Sherlock be so desperately in need of an A-Z if he weren't a German tourist?
But seriously, when I heard them talk for the first time I actually wasn't so sure what kind of language that was supposed to be. It sounded German, but then again it also sounded pretty weird.

But at least 'Rache' is the German word for 'revenge', right?

Yeah, that's right. But the way Anderson says it... it's hilarious!

September 2, 2013 6:24 am  #78

This isn't so much  a mistake as a query.
Reichenbach.
Mycroft walks into the visitors room at the Diogenes and looks surprised to see John waiting for him.
Why was he going in to the visitor's room?!

Last edited by besleybean (September 2, 2013 6:26 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 2, 2013 1:17 pm  #79

Had he not been told that John was there waiting for him?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 2, 2013 4:07 pm  #80

That's the obvious answer oh and I suppose he may not have expected to be met with the accusation about Moriarty!

Board footera