BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2012 7:14 pm  #1

And soon it's his birthday...

...so may I show you this site, which I found few days ago? (Didn't find it here so far...?)
Check this, I think this is a lovely idea - and you can even leave your wishes for Benedict...

https://www.justgiving.com/Cumberbatchweb

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 13, 2012 7:26 pm  #2

Re: And soon it's his birthday...

Wow, I love this idea. Donating for a good cause and birthday wishes for Benedict, that's just great  .

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 13, 2012 7:31 pm  #3

Think so, too!
And sometimes I wonder how impressed he might be: today already 383% of the target reached.... 283 donations, almost 5.000,00 GBP - and still 6 days left.

July 13, 2012 7:34 pm  #4

I just did my bit  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 13, 2012 8:08 pm  #5

Goood girl, I did mine yesterday. 

July 13, 2012 11:47 pm  #6

Aww, this is a lovely thing!

Oooh, soon our Bennybaby will turn 36. How the time flies! No, not really, I've only ever known him at the age of 35.

July 14, 2012 1:42 am  #7

Ah guys....are you sure about this website?  Be careful, okay? It may not be a scam and this girl probably is raising money for a very good cause - but she's doing it using Benedict's name.  It's her website.  Is he associated in any way to this charity and is he okay with her using his name?  The very cynical side of me is wondering if she's hoping to come to Ben's attention by doing this.  Is she's hoping maybe he'll call her to thank her profusely.  And all those birthday wishes people are sending thinking he might actually read them - is he really going to see them?  And if so, how?  Some of you out there may know more about on-line charity fund raising in Britain than I do and this may be an entirely cool thing and all the money will be channeled to a wonderful charity and Ben will be eternally grateful to each and every one of you - but I'm skeptical and wary. The Keeper is kautious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 14, 2012 1:55 am  #8

Cumberbatchweb is a legit fansite; they have a long running site going:
http://www.benedictcumberbatch.co.uk/

It's Cumberbatchweb that has set up the donation page.
Just Giving is a legit donation site, here's details of how it all works:
https://www.justgiving.com/en/how-justgiving-works

Benedict has mentioned he is quite aware of this fan site, so this isn't an attention seeking venture. Setting up the Just Giving page means the funds are already committed to the chosen charity; there is no way the site owner can receive those funds.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 14, 2012 2:35 am  #9

Thanks for the info Kazza. I'm relieved to know this charity is legit and that the fansite is Ben approved. I just didn't want any of our Forum Family taken for a ride.  So, guess what? Based on your trusted word I just donated.  I feel so cosmopolitan to have donated in British pounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 14, 2012 3:39 am  #10

I just chatted with the Cumberbatchweb admin.

But yes you were right. Just Giving all the funds go direct to the charity. I can't access a penny. I informed Benedict's agency about the fundraising some time ago & provided the link so he could read the messages. The charity's celebrity manager has been coming his agent up to date with a running tally of the amount raised (I had a lovely email from them & I spoke to Benedict at the Cheltenham event & he was hugely impressed with the fundraising.

So there you go, he knows all about it!

Last edited by kazza474 (July 14, 2012 4:41 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 16, 2012 10:31 am  #11

UPDATED TOTAL

From Cumberbatchweb's twitter
Cumberbatchweb
In case you missed the news last night the collection for @teenagecancer for #BenedictCumberbatch's birthday now stands at £5237!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 16, 2012 10:33 am  #12

That's really great. I'm very happy for the young people. Still three days to go.

July 16, 2012 11:09 am  #13

kazza474 wrote:

UPDATED TOTAL

From Cumberbatchweb's twitter
Cumberbatchweb
In case you missed the news last night the collection for @teenagecancer for #BenedictCumberbatch's birthday now stands at £5237!

Just wonder which news are meant? Where did they bring it?

July 16, 2012 11:26 am  #14

Would have been 'news' posted on the Cumberbatchweb tumblr or Twitter accounts that's all

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 16, 2012 12:32 pm  #15

Did anyone send him a Birthday Card? We sent one with illustrations of Classic Motorbikes on it. http://www.youtube.com/user/LyraWednesday 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/LyraWednesday?feature=guide

@Bad_Nade on Twitter
Sherlocks_Pants on LJ

July 16, 2012 2:42 pm  #16

kazza474 wrote:

Would have been 'news' posted on the Cumberbatchweb tumblr or Twitter accounts that's all

Oh...  Boring.

July 18, 2012 8:37 am  #17

Not about the birthday donations, but watch this. Really sweet:

July 18, 2012 11:21 am  #18

Aww...that was so nice!  All those little fan girls are really cute; however, it needed some representation from the older crowd Not all his fans are teenagers ya know!   Anyway, I hope he gets to see this.

July 18, 2012 11:30 am  #19

Mattlocked wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Oh...  Boring.

Maybe you should check their site out, very good site & far from boring.

LATEST NEWS JUST POSTED ON TWITTER

Cumberbatchweb
£6000 raised by #BenedictCumberbatch's fans for @teenagecancer in honour of his birthday http://www.justgiving.com/Cumberbatchweb you're all utterly wonderful!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 18, 2012 12:47 pm  #20

That was lovely! There were a few slightly older ladies in the video. I loved some of the artwork. What worthwhile and appropriate causes as well.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera