BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2012 6:31 pm  #1

Maybe we should start our own appreciation group

Benedict Cumberbatch says we’re babes not bitches

I'm quite sensitive to people noticing me,' he explained in a recent interview [sadly not with me]. ‘There are times when I'm relaxed, then others when it does make me self-conscious. I just wish my 15-year-old self had known about my allure to the opposite sex!'

Oh yeah and when asked about his Cumberbitches he said the following: ‘It's flattering, though I worry about what it says for feminism, it's quite a pejorative term... Cumberbabes might be better.'

Soooo, although there are heaps of 'groups' already, why doesn't someone enterprising start a group called the Cumberbabes, as per the 'teachings of the great BC'?
You'd need to be someone who will make an account in Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook etc & start gathering members. I don't have the time at present & could be unreliable but would be willing to help out. (as long as it's not overly obsessive to the point of stalkerish/sick)
It would surely catch Ben's attention & be quite flattering that his words were heeded.
Just an idea.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 6:50 pm  #2

Re: Maybe we should start our own appreciation group

Good idea 
Apart from my work I have a lot to do with my FB author's page, book forums (is that the correct plural, didn't learn Latin at school) and so on. However, if someone took it on I'd be glad to help, if just to give pleasure to Ben  .
And would the term Cumberbabes also include any male members who appreciate his work?

Last edited by SusiGo (July 13, 2012 7:09 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 13, 2012 7:24 pm  #3

Well, I probably would join the group (as I considered myself some time ago as Sherlocked, Benedicted and Cumberbatched), but.... I do have to have an own account at Twitter, Tumblr or facebook then, right? 

Susi, I had Latin at school, but it's a while ago - so I'm sure what it is NOT: forums.  But maybe in English its right? At least "Foren" sounds strange here, too.... 
Fora? Fori? Hmmmmm.....

Edit: just found this: Der Plural von Forum ist daher “fora  und nicht (wie ich es im Kopf habe) “fori .  here: http://www.jurakopf.de/latein-im-alltag-der-lebenslauf/  (just if you are interested..  )

Last edited by Mattlocked (July 13, 2012 7:27 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 13, 2012 7:30 pm  #4

I did my research: In Latin it's fora, whereas in English the plural forums is preferred to fora. Learning never stops or as we say in German: Jetzt brauche ich nicht dumm zu sterben  .

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 16, 2012 4:10 pm  #5

It's just 'forums', guys! XD

I think it's great that he said that. I'm much more willing to call myself a Cumberbabe than a Cumberbitch, but you'd think from the major outcry on tumblr that this wasn't such a good thing. Well, you can't please everybody.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 16, 2012 4:11 pm  #6

Yes, I don't like Cumberbitch at all. My 17 year old daughter also said it was not nice so it has nothing to do with age I guess.

July 17, 2012 5:30 pm  #7

I agree also. It is a perjorative term with mysoginistic, exploitative connotations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 17, 2012 6:35 pm  #8

Well... it actually is a bit like insulting yourself, isn't it? 
I guess it's okay calling yourself like that... but I don't really like the term either.

Anyway, nothing wrong with saying that one is "cumberbatched", so..

July 23, 2012 12:51 pm  #9

Sounds like a good idea.

I might do it....What kind of things would we be expected to do as a Cumberbabes group?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 23, 2012 1:25 pm  #10

Boy that took a long time for a dropped hint to be picked up lol!

I have no idea how to handle a fan group or what's expected, lol. Personally I would love to see one without all the drippy childish/teenage nonsense; one that focuses on his work, on his evolution as an actor.
I recall him talking about singing at one stage; I'd love to find out if he HAS done anything like that before.
I'd love to see who his mentors were; how he formed his style.

And a list of any upcoming scenes similar to several in The Last Enemy would be handy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 23, 2012 1:30 pm  #11

That's exatly what I would want too Kazza - a mature appreciation site for an extremely talented actor.  I just wish I had the technical know-how and time to do something like that. 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 23, 2012 1:35 pm  #12

Basically I'm time deficient and temperament deficient (as you can see, lol) for such an undertaking.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 23, 2012 3:07 pm  #13

I absolutely agree with you, Kazza and KP, we could keep the fangirling (in which I occasionally like to indulge myself) strictly to this forum and take the serious interest in his work outside. I mean, there's indefinitely more to him than being a sex symbol, isn't there? Just started watching "Hawking" by the way. And, SH, it would be great if you could somehow start up this thing.

July 23, 2012 4:26 pm  #14

Hmm...well if it was going to be non-fangirly...then we would initially need to stay away from Twitter and Tumblr methinks...

Maybe just start out with a general website which has all information about his career on different pages, loads of pictures, a forum area for discussion, reports, interviews...

Any other ideas throw them my way...

July 23, 2012 5:12 pm  #15

Count me in to help with this, please. I would love to see an appreciation group for Benedict without all the hormonal craziness... though, as Susi, I ocasionally let myself go on it a little...

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

July 23, 2012 5:44 pm  #16

Maybe we should have a surf first and see what is out there already. I'll do that. I agree that if we were to do this it would need to be on - no insult intended- a higher level than the fan girl sites. As for the musical, he did mention that he fancied doing some musical theatre at some stage (can't remember where I read it though). I agree that Twitter and Tumblr tend to be fan girlie; for instance: the ones for Andrew Scott seem to have missed half of his recent work. But they don't have to be like that. They are just useful tools and we can choose how to use them. Honestly it would be good if, like Sherlockology, we could get a guy on board.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 23, 2012 6:00 pm  #17

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Hmm...well if it was going to be non-fangirly...then we would initially need to stay away from Twitter and Tumblr methinks...

Maybe just start out with a general website which has all information about his career on different pages, loads of pictures, a forum area for discussion, reports, interviews...

Any other ideas throw them my way...

That sounds great. And, as Davina suggested, a guy on board maybe wouldn't be so bad. Any volunteers?

July 24, 2012 4:53 pm  #18

Yeah, I guess we could have a Twitter page etc, but just run it in a mature way and only post interesting stuff, not just "OMG doesn't Ben look hot in this pic" or "everyone start trending #BenedictIsFit". I guess it would be up to us how we ran the content. If people wanted to retweet/reblog or reply in a fangirly way then that would be up to them, as long as we try and "rise above" it ourselves.

I do kind of like the idea of having quite a comprehensive website with different pages for everything he's been in with information, reviews, interviews, pictures. And yeah, whoever mentioned Sherlockolgy, I guess it would kind of be like that except dedicated just to Benedict. I kind of imagine it as like a cross between Sherlockology and the Baker Street Babes.

September 16, 2012 3:07 pm  #19

Guys, I'm new here, and I'm curious to know if you're doing that. Are you still thinking about those ideas? Have you started anything yet? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

September 17, 2012 3:12 am  #20

I haven't read all the threads in this post, but it sounds like you want to set something up exactly like Cumberbatchweb, which suggests you guys didn't know it was there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera