BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2012 4:05 pm  #1

Mycroft/ Sherlock - relationship turning for better in Season 3 ?

After watching TRF at first I was very angry with Mycroft for betraying Sherlock so much ( to tell all his childhood details etc.)
But then, after reading here  of  him being very VERY likely being involved in this Sherlock-Molly-faking-his-death-complot I have begun to wonder if Sherlock and his brother will establish a better relationship in Season 3 / come to better terms with each other.
We know now that Season 3`s first episode will be The Empty House, this means Sherlock will living at overseas a long time hunting Moriarty´s "right hand" and second-in-command  Sebastian Moran.
Mycroft will probably be Sherlocks only contact to his former life and the one helping Sherlock to gain a new identity ( new name, new documents) and financing his living ( seinen Lebensunterhalt).
I do not think the writers will miss the chance to change the relationship of Myc. & S. gravely - for the better I hope.
And also in the episode itself / after his return to London Sherlock maybe will need a  person  - John will be too hurt and angry, also Lestrade- to re-establish his live there.
In my oppinion the "betray" of Mycroft in TRF was a trap for Moriarty and agreed with Sherlock.

Last edited by saysomething (August 3, 2012 10:07 pm)

July 22, 2012 5:22 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft/ Sherlock - relationship turning for better in Season 3 ?

I agree that the relationship between Mycroft and Sherlock will turn for the better. I think they have already been working together in TRF. Its quite odd that Mycroft grants Sherlock access to Baskerville after he has been using Mycrofts ID and then in TRF tells John Mycroft wont talk to Sherlock because there is too much history between them.

But I dont think Sherlock will spend a long time abroad. In canon he was already abroad and Moriaty and some of his people too so it made sense. But this time he is in London and I guess sherlock can do quite a lot in London to hunt Moriatys people. And he has the Internet, that will help a lot IMHO.

July 22, 2012 5:38 pm  #3

I  too agree about Mycroft and Sherlock.  The more I think about it,  the more I think it was all a trap  for the bad guys  to "get Sherlock"  And it still makes me wonder,  did Sherlock KNOW  that Mycroft had spilled the beans about him?   hmmmm. 

Welcome to the forum,  1895!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 22, 2012 5:46 pm  #4

To be honest I think Mycroft and Sherlock were in cahoots.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 22, 2012 8:08 pm  #5

Did you notice in TRF when John visits Mycroft (after the visit to Kitty Riley's flat) Mycroft lets John 'tell him what happened' almost as if he is allowing  John make up the scenario for himself. In this way Mycroft actually reveals very little of what actually happened, only the basic details of Moriarty's interrogation. This could possibly support the idea that Mycroft and Sherlock were in cahoots and keeping John in the dark about the fact so that he would believe the eventual suicide. While I'm writing this, I've also remembered when they were on the run from the police Sherlock pooh poohed John's suggestion that they contact Mycroft can't remember the exact words - 'Not the best time for a reconciliation', and yet Mycroft had only recently allowed Sherlock to 'negotiate' some time in Baskerville, so not on the worst of terms at that point.

Makes me wonder about other things too, but probably best if I leave it there for now.

Last edited by JaneCo (July 22, 2012 8:19 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 22, 2012 11:39 pm  #6

yeah.   too much thinking is boring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 23, 2012 7:04 am  #7

Mycroft does not appear as much in the canon, or in other adaptions, than he does in the BBC series. The writers therefore have quite a lot of room to explore the brothers' relationship without becoming "untrue" to the original. What we do know, however, is that eventually, as they both get older, their relationship definitely gets less spiteful and childish.

I therefore believe that it is very likely that we will see a development towards the better in season 3, but I am not expecting quantum leaps.
The current state of their relationship makes for brilliant comedy, plus it helps viewers relate to the characters, makes them a little more human. So I doubt that the writers will want to eliminate that element completely.

As for Mycroft being in on the fake suicide, I am almost certain that he knew all along and his admission to John was just pretend.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

July 23, 2012 4:14 pm  #8

...but he didn't really admit anything to John. It was all supposition on John's part, cleverly written to look as if Mycroft was admitting to it.

Yes, the Sherlock Mycroft relationship mustn't be allowed to become too good. There's too much comedy value in it 

July 23, 2012 9:43 pm  #9

I`m really looking forward to John`s reaction to Mycroft (and Molly), too ( except to Sherlock).
Sherlock will not be the only one John  will be angry with  ( very very angry !). -
With being Mycroft in fact "part of the British government" I think he (M.) will make  Sherlock`s "return from Hades" possible in a " judicíal way", perhaps pretending Sherlock`s taking part in a witness-protection programme ( and maybe helping Sh. to clear up things with Scotland Yard, esp. Lestrade.)

Last edited by saysomething (July 24, 2012 12:07 pm)

July 23, 2012 9:48 pm  #10

Yeah, I guess there will definitely be a development of their relationship.
It depends a lot on how much Mycroft really "sold" Sherlock to Moriarty and on how much he is involved in Sherlock's faked suicide. I guess he will help him a lot so that Sherlock at some point needs to show some gratitude or act nicer towards him. If they work really close together on bringing down Moriarty's criminal web or whatever they're up to, this will definitely help them to get along better.
So yeah, I think you might be right.

Of course this will all go along well with showing that Sherlock becomes a bit more mature and all that in the next season. Character development and shit.

October 13, 2012 9:27 pm  #11

I'm just watching Reichenbach again.
Wondering:  when Mycroft says to John:  I'm sorry, tell him will you?
Was that Mycroft's way of getting this message to Sherlock: we can't stop things,you'll have to go through with it...

Last edited by besleybean (October 13, 2012 9:27 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 14, 2012 6:31 pm  #12

besleybean wrote:

Wondering:  when Mycroft says to John:  I'm sorry, tell him will you?
Was that Mycroft's way of getting this message to Sherlock: we can't stop things,you'll have to go through with it...

Yes I agree.
Poor Mycroft, I am regretting him, too. ( Not only John.)  I am wondering if he had known from the the beginning  that Sherlock will  have to fake his suicide, or if there was a moment - a day - a week in which he had really  thought Sherlock WAS dead ?
Mycroft will be such  a fascinating character in season 3 , too!  Between TRF and Empty House ( knowing Sherlock is NOT dead): How will be his relationship to John  during this time? And when John will learn that Mycroft has known ( and John will be very , very angry !) ? And to Molly - who is the only one but him who knows? And maybe to Lestrade? Sherlock probably ruined his ( L.s) career at Scotland Yard ( being a "fraud" ) - maybe M. can do something to give the DI the chance to "return to grace"?

(And a liitle point: I think Mycroft will be the one who will arrange to carry away Sherlock`s now needless  gravestone after his "resurrection" ( and maybe/ I hope  we will have a very emotional scene about that in Empty House  ).

Last edited by saysomething (October 14, 2012 7:49 pm)

October 14, 2012 8:40 pm  #13

I'm 100% sure Mycroft knows, but how much is he involved, was this "telling Moriarty everything about Sherlock" thing part of a plan.? So many questions!
One year to go.....

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 15, 2012 5:55 am  #14

A bit less now, hopefully!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 15, 2012 8:40 am  #15

maybe some days less 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 15, 2012 10:07 am  #16

I like mycroft, I like mark gatiss.  Therefore, more of him in series 3 is like winning the lottery only without the money but happy time in my head!

Also, miss irene (yum) would be welcome!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come On Jan already!

October 15, 2012 5:46 pm  #17

I would love it if Sherlock and Mycroft became less competitive and more friendly with one another.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 15, 2012 5:55 pm  #18

Possible in tackling a common foe.

May 9, 2013 2:13 pm  #19

Mycroft was probably acting! The Holmes brothers are very good actors!

May 28, 2013 10:21 am  #20

I'm as excited about the Holmes brothers reunion as I am about Johns x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

Board footera