BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 28, 2012 11:49 pm  #61

Re: Elementary pilot review

I've just finished watching it now, and was actually pretty surprised that I rather enjoyed it. There were some canon references and uses of classic lines - "I don't guess I deduce" being one that springs to mind...and Sherlock basically deducing the hell out of Joan and knowing all her history and she being all like "What? How did you know that?"

Really enjoyed the Beekeeping nod - that was a real "YESSS!" moment for me. The whole thing about him being a recovering addict is fine, because that's kind of canon but taken to a modern day extreme, which is all good. I hear what you guys are saying about the chemistry, it's not quite there yet, but I suppose they're expecting to build it up over several episodes.

I liked the deductions and the way he spoke really fast, there were some laugh out loud moments which is always a positive. There were a couple of rather weird bits though, that stuck out as being not in character at all...

OK, so when he loses his temper with the girl and shouts at her, that works for me because it's a tactic, he's trying to push her. Then Watson tells him to leave and go to the car. First of all, I thought it was weird that he listened to her, then when Watson came out and had the answers they were after he explains he did it on purpose because he knew she would open up to Watson afterwards. I thought that was pretty brilliant and very Holmes-like. But then, later on when he's apologising to Watson he says he made that up and in reality he was "embarassed" because he "lost his temper". Oooh. That doesn't really work for me. Holmes would never lose his temper without there being a reason for it, he's always in control.

The second thing was when Holmes rams Watson's car into the suspect/murderer's car. That just made NO SENSE. He basically did it just for fun? There was no actual rational reasoning behind it. Which was just...odd. I really can't imagine Sherlock Holmes doing anything like that, unless it was to serve some kind of purpose.

Other than those two points, and the obvious fact that they made Watson into a woman and set the whole thing in New York, I thought it was pretty good. I guess if you bare in mind that it's a "loose adaptation" and not supposed to be really strictly canon, then you can sort of just roll with it and enjoy it for what it is. I'm looking forward to seeing how the series progresses, and whether they'll tackle some of the more well known Holmes stories...I'm pretty sure the case they solved was a completely made up one right? It didn't ring any bells as being something from the canon but I could be wrong. It'll be interesting to see if they bring in Moriarty at some point and attempt a version of Final Problem. Surely every Holmes adaptation has to try that eventually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 29, 2012 12:14 am  #62

Sherlock- that pretty much sums it up.  You have to understand what it is, and then just loosen up and enjoy.  I'll never waste any Holmes if I can help it.

The game is afoot!

September 29, 2012 2:15 am  #63

Just watched Elementary online.  Best part about that was not having to watch the commercials, which meant I only spent 45 minutes viewing the show.

My review: Ordinary.  JLM's Sherlock had no redeeming features.  I don't even think he resembled the Sherlock Holmes of canon, and although I've only read two of the books and one set of short stories and therefore am no expert on the character, even I could see this Sherlock is not a faithful portrayal. 

I suppose I was first turned off by seeing JLM's underwear in the scene where we first meet him: Not at all appealing!  And those tatoos don't help, either.  (I'm not a fan of tatoos at all.)  He seemed manic instead of cerebral.  He talked way too much about his feelings and seemed to actually care about Watson's feelings--the "real" Sherlock I don't think would do either.  I recognized some lines from stories but JLM's delivery of them was flat, I thought.

I wasn't impressed with Lucy Liu or Aidan Quinn.  I've never been a fan of Liu's and here she just seemed to pout a lot.  When Quinn talked, it sounded like he had marbles in his mouth and was trying to channel Columbo.  I don't know why Sherlock keeps calling her "Watson" instead of "Joan" or "Ms. Watson."  (I did hear "Miss Watson" once towards the end.)  No one I know calls a woman by her surname to her face.

The plot itself was okay but left a lot to coincidence; I did think the resolution was somewhat clever, though.

What I did like was the Hispanic detective--the fact that he was Hispanic.  Otherwise, he came across sort of like Anderson--not very bright and always one step behind Sherlock.  The character was used just as a foil for Sherlock to be able to explain his reasoning to the audience, in case we didn't figure things out ourselves.  The other thing I liked was the background violin music that was occasionally heard; that was a nice touch.

But, overall, Elementary is not a show I would watch again.  There was nothing unique or special about it the way there is with Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 29, 2012 2:26 am  #64

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I liked the deductions and the way he spoke really fast...

Interesting.  I didn't notice that he spoke very fast.  To me, his rate of speech was normal and never veered from that.  Of course, I've lived in New York City and also I spent lots of time there when younger, visiting relatives who lived there.  New Yorkers ARE known for talking quickly, though.   

I agree with you that his backtracking about losing his temper with the first victim didn't make sense. 

And ramming the car...  The first thing that occurred to me was: Does he have a New York/American driver's license?  (Maybe that was another reason he was in jail?)  And he was that comfortable driving on the right side of the road???  I'm sure he could have thought of better ways to get the husband to return to the police station.  Sherlock's Sherlock certainly would have!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 29, 2012 3:22 am  #65

I'm in the middle of it right now. I disliked the woman walking out of Holmes's apartment, and his assertion that she was satisfying his physical needs. That was just a big strike against the pilot.

Surprisingly, it's gotten better thus far, but still can't hold a candle to the show we all hold near and dear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 29, 2012 6:47 am  #66

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

But, overall, Elementary is not a show I would watch again.  There was nothing unique or special about it the way there is with Sherlock.

Speaking only for me, which of course is all I can do, lol, I think when it comes to American episodic TV it's a mistake to judge a series on its first episode out of the gate. Many shows take many weeks to really develop the characters, and to give the actors a chance to find their legs, as it were. So unless something is really dreadful, I will usually give a show a month or more before I decide whether or not to continue with it. And so I will with this one.... I'm intrigued to see where they go with it. I have no knowledge of "the canon", so none of that influences me, and frankly I couldn't care less if this Sherlock bears any resemblance to the original 1880 character.  And then, added to that, I also 100% expected this to have nothing to do with 'our' Sherlock. This Sherlock is radically different from any other one, just because John is Joan, and London is NYC. So to me, the jury is out, and I'll wait a little while to make my own final judgement about whether it's a thumbs up or a thumbs down.  Just my take on that.

September 29, 2012 7:03 am  #67

A review on BBC Radio 4's Front Row programme last night can be summarised as follows:
Very much a formulaic detective series.

JLM slightly underplays the role of Sherlock (unlike Benedict's portrayal which was described as a tour de force). He is very intense and 'bottled up'. He uses a smartphone a lot but nothing appears on screen.

Lucy Lui was alright, fine but didn't have much to do other than be irritated at Sherlock Holmes.

To be fair they tried not to compare with BBC Sherlock but it was rather unavoidable. Reviewer says he will see how it pans out in the longer run. Basically it was fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 29, 2012 9:50 am  #68

Another review:

www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/sherlock-holmess-disappointing-new-update/263024/

To which I will add that viewing figures for the first episode stand at 13.3 million.

Last edited by Davina (September 29, 2012 10:01 am)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 29, 2012 10:16 am  #69

Ah! You can always, always rely on Den of Geek for a brilliant review. Cuts to the chase and really funny at times. This is, I think, a very fair review (bearing in mind we don't get Elementary here until late next month).

www.denofgeek.com/tv/elementary/22781/elementary-pilot-episode-review

September 29, 2012 2:07 pm  #70

Davina wrote:

Ah! You can always, always rely on Den of Geek for a brilliant review. Cuts to the chase and really funny at times. This is, I think, a very fair review (bearing in mind we don't get Elementary here until late next month). www.denofgeek.com/tv/elementary/22781/elementary-pilot-episode-review

Wonderful review-- thanks for posting this, Davina. I'm going to write reviews like that, just as soon as I grow up, lol. 

Loved this ***The question that nags away through the pilot then, is why Sherlock Holmes? The archetype of an insufferable but undeniably brilliant detective has soaked so thoroughly into our cultural fabric, there’s really no need to name this particular version Sherlock and mess about with all that Joan Watson business. They could just as well have called Jonny Lee Miller’s character Hugo Deducey-Smartarseington and we’d all have known immediately what he was about***

Hugo Deducey-Smartarseington!  *bends over laughing* OMG.

September 29, 2012 3:06 pm  #71

ancientsgate wrote:

[I think when it comes to American episodic TV it's a mistake to judge a series on its first episode out of the gate. Many shows take many weeks to really develop the characters, and to give the actors a chance to find their legs, as it were.

I definitely agree that many episodic TV shows take a while to fully develop.  However, I stopped watching contemporary TV shows a few years ago, because I just don't have the time anymore.  And that's from someone who used to plan her life around what was on TV on each night--I used to spend a good 3-4 hours watching TV.  Until I got involved in message boards and such...

Anyway, for me, there was nothing in Elementary to distinguish it from any other cop show.  Those reviews are all correct--there's no reason to call JLM's character Sherlock other than for publicity.  It didn't hook me, and if a show doesn't do that in its first episode, then I don't feel like spending my time waiting for that to happen, especially as it never might.  Neither the characters nor the setting nor the plot were unusual enough to make me want to give it more time.

Just my opinion!   

September 29, 2012 10:55 pm  #72

the BEES!!   did they have to put those bees in there??  I detest them,  and Sherlock didn't do beekeeping till later in his career.   I  love honey,  but not bees.   I've watched the whole thing.   I  liked how he figured out there were TWO glasses broken  downstairs.   And the safe room--  how  did he figure that one out?   Yeah   I  got his explanation of that too.  I  like how he used the marble,  but How'd he know where the lever was, to open it?   And the marble stopped right where it was supposed to.   Not fond of the references  to  the "bonding/dominatrix  stuff--  (the opening  where we see the handcuffs on the ladder?)  Not fond of the tatts,  either. I  liked how he was sure that the husband didn't do it....and THEN  they arrested the husband anyway,  for hiring a killer to kill his wife after he convinced her to change her looks via plastic surgery.  THAT was a twist that I've not seen on any cop show I've watched.   Yeah,  I  watch some cop shows and then  I get bored.   

Joan Watson was a nice enough character....but I wish  Sherlock hadn't introduced her as his personal valet!!  that was tooo...british.   

All  in all,  nice episode...could have been longer,  but I guess that is because I  wanted MORE  explanations like they have in the BBC show.   I'm  gonna keep watching.   The main reason for that is, I want him to get rid of that scarf!!  He  can  keep the bees  and the cell phone  and the deductions....but get rid of that scarf,  use a necklace instead.   THEN  I  won't have to keep comparing this show to the other one that i LOVE so much.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (September 29, 2012 10:58 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 30, 2012 11:34 am  #73

First of all, I didn't watch Elementary yet so this has nothing to do with my opinion about this show.
However, I stumbled upon this very positive review on tumblr from which I quote just one passage.

(...) Because Elementary is explicitly about their relationship it also feels like a much deeper show than Sherlock, in which the poorly-reformulated mysteries form the inarguable focus of the show and no tangible emotional or intellectual connection has ever been made between Sherlock and John. The fact is that a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes needs to have a modern sensibility — to sex, to class, to race, and to storytelling; that’s why I feel comfortable saying at this point that Elementary is the true modern adaptation of Holmes and Watson from the way it is structured (and it is important that a woman of colour is given such a prominent and essential narrative role, particularly in the context of Sherlock‘s Orientalist racism) to the way it is executed. This is a show where Sherlock can be destroyed by a woman, and reconstructed by a woman.
—   
-Mary O. (Elementary 1.01, “Pilot )

Just two questions: 1. No connection between Sherlock and John? WTF have many of us been talking about for months? 2. Is this a TV show or a politically correct anti-discrimination programme? End of rant. 

YES - this. All of it.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2012 11:52 am  #74

Interesting review....
Didn't you know that every show has to have an education mission?
Just entertaining?? Nooo, that's baaad.

Think I have to watch it soon....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 30, 2012 11:56 am  #75

Mattlocked wrote:

Interesting review....
Didn't you know that every show has to have an education mission?
Just entertaining?? Nooo, that's baaad.

Think I have to watch it soon....

Sorry, I forgot about the mission. What a pity that Sherlock isn't at all about their relationship. Must have been hallucinating for months. 
And I think I'll have a look at it, too. For whatever it's worth. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2012 1:33 pm  #76

SusiGo wrote:

First of all, I didn't watch Elementary yet so this has nothing to do with my opinion about this show.
However, I stumbled upon this very positive review on tumblr from which I quote just one passage.

When I first started reading the review, I thought it was a satire on "Elementary"  It was so off-base about "Sherlock", I thought the writer was trying to be humorous

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 30, 2012 3:23 pm  #77

Irony could be the only explanation how this review would make any understandable sense to me, KP.....
Maybe (hopefully?) you're right.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 30, 2012 4:22 pm  #78

Lol, it's crazy the way some people seem to think there has to be a classic boy/girl romance thing to make a programme good!

Yeah, I forgot to mention I wasn't too keen on them insinuating Sherlock had been basically sleeping with that dominatrix type girl just to gratify his sexual needs, I mean, what, that's so un-Sherlock! Hm, at least I can have fun shouting "NOT CANON!" at the telly for a few months.

September 30, 2012 4:37 pm  #79

I am sure Lucy Lui must just LOVE being seen as the token woman of colour who can kick arse. How incredibly condescending!

As for the lack of relationship between John and Sherlock I can only assume the writer only watched the first two episodes of the first season.

I do however agree that the racial stereotyping of The Blind Banker is let us say unfortunate but I am reminded of the Simpsons and Big Bang Theory episodes which revolved around the impossibility of, as an example, someone with a disability actually not being a nice person.

Do the tongs not actually exist? Best make sure that ALL baddies are WASPs from now on then! Oh! I just realised that probably means that Jim Moriarty is all wrong too!

Last edited by Davina (September 30, 2012 4:39 pm)

September 30, 2012 5:25 pm  #80

Tongs do exist. They're a well known Chinese crime syndicate.

Board footera