BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2012 7:44 pm  #41

Re: Elementary pilot review

I have Elementary set to record next week on my DVR. I will at least give it a fair chance. The show might be OK, but charisma-wise, I don't think the stars stand a chance vs. Ben and Martin.

September 23, 2012 4:27 am  #42

I forgot to add, I'm surprised Sherlock has an English accent. I thought he'd put on an American accent for an American show.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 23, 2012 5:08 am  #43

Hm, it's this week. I'm probably going to tune in but if my Chem teacher piles it on that takes precedence.
I really don't care much about watching it. I'll probably yell at the television a la Benedict-Sherlock and throw my Chemistry homework at it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 23, 2012 3:44 pm  #44

Sam wrote:

I forgot to add, I'm surprised Sherlock has an English accent. I thought he'd put on an American accent for an American show.

I think I read in a description somewhere that he has burnt out in England, and moves to NYC to pull himself together -- or something like that. And that's why he needs Watson as a counselor. I could have it wrong.

Anyway, I don't picture Sherlock or Sherlock Holmes doing that, do you?

September 23, 2012 3:52 pm  #45

Burnt out and been an addict in England.his father appoints Watson to be his 'minder' to help keep him on the straight and narrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 23, 2012 4:06 pm  #46

Davina wrote:

Burnt out and been an addict in England. His  father appoints Watson to be his 'minder' to help keep him on the straight and narrow.

His father?!

September 23, 2012 4:12 pm  #47

Yes, apparently so. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 23, 2012 4:22 pm  #48

Oh. Ugh. Another point against it. They could have made it Mycroft, at least.

Well, let's see what we all think after the premiere.

Last edited by veecee (September 23, 2012 4:22 pm)

September 23, 2012 5:31 pm  #49

veecee wrote:

Davina wrote:

Burnt out and been an addict in England. His  father appoints Watson to be his 'minder' to help keep him on the straight and narrow.

His father?!

`Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice....
That's too much! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 23, 2012 5:47 pm  #50

Article in today's New York Times that starts off discussing Elementary and then gets into other versions of the detective, with a nice mention of Benedict and Sherlock:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/arts/television/jonny-lee-miller-as-sherlock-holmes-in-elementary.html?ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 23, 2012 6:52 pm  #51

veecee wrote:

I think I read in a description somewhere that he has burnt out in England, and moves to NYC to pull himself together -- or something like that. And that's why he needs Watson as a counselor. I could have it wrong.

Anyway, I don't picture Sherlock or Sherlock Holmes doing that, do you?

Nope, not really. I guess when it comes down to it, I think it's OK they are making a lot of changes because Sherlock has been the same for so long. And it separates it from the BBC one. Still, I'm not going to watch the pilot - not really interested. I predict one of my friends telling me I need to watch it after it comes out.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 26, 2012 8:05 am  #52

Emy,  great that you have such an open mind,   and thanks to Sherli and Davina for that New York Times article link, comparing the
various versions of Sherlock over the years.

I'm too curious not to watch the pilot episode of Elementary when it airs later this week…   I will cringe appropriately, but will give it a try.
Not as a replacement Sherlock,  but as a curiosity.   As was pointed out earlier,  if this thing catches on,  it
will unfortunately be the main/only version many American viewers will ever see.   Why?  The PBS network (U.S. home of BBC Sherlock)
is no $$ match for CBS/big budget mainstream machine.. sigh.    Will there be a bit of good in it?    Hmmm.   I want to see.

I was watching David Letterman (on CBS) this evening-  a promo about J.L.Miller to be interviewed tomorrow on the
show--..  that,   followed by a very flashy Elementary trailer.   <gulp> <eye-rolling>:

NEW   HOLMES  !

NEW   WATSON  !

NEW  YORK !

September 26, 2012 10:19 am  #53

I saw it online twice before the video was pulled.  If you forget all other versions of the master, you'll enjoy.  I thought the solution was a tad bit predictable. I hope to see episodes where the NYPD isn't involved at all.  Strictly Holmes untangling a knot with the assistance of Watson (not Watson being instrumental).

The game is afoot!

September 26, 2012 3:00 pm  #54

I found this picture :

September 27, 2012 8:35 pm  #55

Hm. I'm kind of looking forward to it in a cringing type of way.

Anyway, found this article, thought I might as well post it in here rather than make another thread...someone might have already shared it anyway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/arts/television/jonny-lee-miller-as-sherlock-holmes-in-elementary.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 28, 2012 1:24 am  #56

And here's the New York Times' review of Elementary:

http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/arts/television/elementary-starring-jonny-lee-miller-and-lucy-liu.html?ref=todayspaper

It was real interesting to read the reviewer's comments about Benedict and Sherlock.

I hope I'll be able to watch the show online after it's broadcast, as I won't be able to watch it tonight on CBS.  I'd like to see the whole hour for myself, just to say I've seen both versions.  I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near Sherlock in terms of quality, though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 28, 2012 3:10 am  #57

Just finished watching.  My opinion only- it was disagreeable and boring.  For my taste, Holmes is too scruffy, dissipated and completely unsympathetic.  No chemistry with Watson.  No plot cleverness or intriguing nods to the canon.  Doubt I'll watch again.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

September 28, 2012 4:11 am  #58

yeah  I've just seen the 1st 10 minutes  of it.   He's got to get rid of the scarf!!   That's too much like the BBC.   get rid of the scarf!!   I'll watch the rest later. I'm recording it.    He sure does speak a mile a minute tho.  fast.   You're right,  no chemistry.   Not liking his tattoos.  those are real by the way,  yeah I know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 28, 2012 7:19 am  #59

okay-  I just finished watching.   hmmm.  eh.

No real surprises.  Lucy Liu is a bit wooden. and Jonny Lee Miller is a bit scattered.   Aidan Quinn is interesting,  though his face
doesn't really move..  What's up with that.

It really underscores what presence/charisma is,  when you are used to it, and when you see an ensemble that just doesn't have it.

Of course, if they stay on the air,  there are many many episodes to build on.

A few things I liked - the fact that a British actor is on American TV at all, and not trying an American accent.
I enjoyed the bee-keeping hobby.  - I also enjoyed hearing Elvis Costello's Watching the Detectives.

September 28, 2012 9:09 pm  #60

SPOILER WARNING!!

I thought it was okay. I went into watching it expecting n-o-t-h-i-n-g, after all, so....  it was okay.

Miller is not attractive. While BC is skinny in a lean, healthy way, this guy looks anorexic and hung over. Supposedly he's sober in the story, but he looks like he's been on a bender for the last month or so. Not. Attractive.

They really played down Lucy Liu's looks, too-- she's a gorgeous woman, but they hardly put make up on her (freckles? LL has freckles?) and she looked like an unmade bed a lot. But certainly no worse than him, who looks like a crack addict's bed, lol.

Shallow, shallow me, to talk about their looks. So sue me.

They dumbed down his British accent, which I found bizarre to the max. He threw in one or two Britishisms, in a half-hearted attempt to remind us that he's supposed to be British, but it was pretty bad.

Plot was okay. I was mildly interested about whodunnit.

Only good NY view was the nighttime skyline vista from his 5 million dollar Manhattan (Brooklyn?) pied a terre-- good grief, who is his father supposed to be, Donald Trump? The rest of it was filmed in some little neighborhood (all the exteriors looked like they were filmed in the same two square blocks), or at night, stuff like parking lots. Nothing interesting there. If you want to see NY scenes, watch Blue Bloods or the old Law&Order shows. Or Celebrity Apprentice, for that matter, lol.

Final scene, them walking out of the apt building with that song playing in the background, something about a girl, blah, blah, blah. Oh, yeah. They made John into Joan *expressly* for sexual chemistry, whether or not it's ever consummated. When TWIC protest that oh, no, no, John's not female for the sexual aspect, blah, blah, I want to laugh and point my finger at them in helpless disbelief-- who are they kidding? Of course that's why they made John female!

So anyway, I'll watch again next week. And we'll see where this goes.

Board footera