BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2012 12:38 pm  #1

Elementary pilot review

There is a view of the pilot on Buzzsugar. I am going to quote a few bits from the review:

'Miller is fantastic as a twitchy but brilliant Holmes...he shares the rakish charm of...Robert Downey Jnr.'

'Miller also has some nice romantic chemistry with Liu, which past Sherlock/Watson pairs can't really boast about.'

'You might like this show if: You like crime-fighting duos with sexual tension a la Bones and Castle.

I have no problem really with the first comment I have quoted. However, the other two comments including 'romantic chemistry' and 'sexual tension' make me shudder. How, just how can this justifiably have any connection to the original Sherlock Holmes? The very last comparisons to two other 'crime-fighting' programmes is the proverbial icing on the cake. Formulaic? Predictable? Banal? ( The whole point of Bones is that the female protagonist does have neuro-untypical behaviour and does owe something to the Sherlock Holmes legacy). I find it so disappointing that inevitably with a male-female relationship they are taking the easy way out. Is this what they call originality at CBS?

www.buzzsugar.com/Elementary-TV-Show-Review-23928272

Last edited by Davina (July 12, 2012 12:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Elementary pilot review

Davina wrote:

There is a view of the pilot on Buzzsugar. I am going to quote a few bits from the review:

'Miller also has some nice romantic chemistry with Liu, which past Sherlock/Watson pairs can't really boast about.'

'You might like this show if: You like crime-fighting duos with sexual tension a la Bones and Castle.

Hey!  Us BBC Johnlockers beg to differ with that first quote! 

As for the second quote, sorry but I'm getting pretty much all the sexual tension I need from the Ben and Martin show.

So, when is this BBC Sherlock interloper, rip-off, counterfeit, fraudulent, imitation, parroting, ersatz, sham of a show supposed to air?  Oh, did I mention I'm as open minded as they come and would never think of pre-judging anything 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

July 12, 2012 8:44 pm  #3

KeepersPrice wrote:

As for the second quote, sorry but I'm getting pretty much all the sexual tension I need from the Ben and Martin show.

So, when is this BBC Sherlock interloper, rip-off, counterfeit, fraudulent, imitation, parroting, ersatz, sham of a show supposed to air?  Oh, did I mention I'm as open minded as they come and would never think of pre-judging anything 

Good one!
(Oh KP, you naughty girl... )

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 14, 2012 12:14 pm  #4

Davina wrote:

'Miller is fantastic as a twitchy but brilliant Holmes...he shares the rakish charm of...Robert Downey Jnr.'

I have no problem really with the first comment I have quoted. However, the other two comments including 'romantic chemistry' and 'sexual tension' make me shudder. How, just how can this justifiably have any connection to the original Sherlock Holmes? The very last comparisons to two other 'crime-fighting' programmes is the proverbial icing on the cake. Formulaic? Predictable? Banal? ( The whole point of Bones is that the female protagonist does have neuro-untypical behaviour and does owe something to the Sherlock Holmes legacy). I find it so disappointing that inevitably with a male-female relationship they are taking the easy way out. Is this what they call originality at CBS?

www.buzzsugar.com/Elementary-TV-Show-Review-23928272

It's the modern day 'curse' Davina. People don't think it is possible to NOT have sexual tension & romance in everything these days. Gone are the days when you can make or even watch a program from simply a cerebral point of view; if it doesn't have the 'love' factor then it's unrealistic somehow. If this or other shows were really like that; I wouldn't watch them. I'm not into fantasising; I want to be entertained and I want my mind to be exercised.

Anyway, I found another article on this show. An interview done at Comic Con in SD.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/13/elementary-comic-con/

I was interested in this quotation:
Judging by producers’ hints, you can expect Holmes’ arch-rival Moriarty to show up, possibly in the first season. But Holmes’ brother Mycroft won’t be introduced anytime soon. The show will instead focus on fleshing out the relationship between Holmes and his father.

His father?
After how they've interpreted Watson (who was covered in the canon) how the hell will they portray his father, who wasn't really spoken of?
I dread to imagine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 14, 2012 9:58 pm  #5

KeepersPrice wrote:

Davina wrote:

KP, I forgot where you're from. I, along with all the other Americans, will get it sometime this Autumn (I'm thinking along the lines of September, but I could be wrong) on Thursday nights. I have nothing better to do with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 17, 2012 2:09 pm  #6

I don't have high hopes for this, but american audiences will probably eat it up.  On the other hand, I've had a crush on Johnny Lee Miller since Hackers...I might catch it, but expect it will piss me off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/597554/CreamLemon

July 17, 2012 11:38 pm  #7

The longer this goes on, the more convinced I am that it's going to stink.

Really, really badly.

I also have this irrational fear that from September 27 onward, whenever I tell people I like Sherlock Holmes they will say "Oh, like that Elementary show?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

July 18, 2012 12:12 am  #8

Oh, that's what's going to happen, especially for the Americans here.  ...but then we get to tell them all snootily how we like the original one, the one that Elementary just ripped-off of. 

And why exactly did they have to change Watson's gender? Stupid Americans (no offense or anything  ).

July 18, 2012 12:36 am  #9

U-hu. NOT convinced.

It's not that I don't want to like this, because I really really do. Another Sherlock Holmes series set in modern day to keep us busy during the hiatus? Great.
But this? Nooo.

"You might like this show if: You like crime-fighting duos with sexual tension a la Bones and Castle."
Alright. I don't.

I still can't get over the fact that they changed Watson into a woman probably only to "legitimate" the sexual tension stuff between Watson and Holmes. Grah. I might be wrong but... I really don't think so.

July 18, 2012 12:51 am  #10

Sammy wrote:

I still can't get over the fact that they changed Watson into a woman probably only to "legitimate" the sexual tension stuff between Watson and Holmes. Grah. I might be wrong but... I really don't think so.

My thoughts, too. Again, stupid homophobic Americans.

July 18, 2012 12:51 am  #11

I expect something similar to "Bones". Which is a decent show, and when I have nothing else to exercise to and it is on TV, I watch. But I certainly do not rewatch, or track all episodes, or join communities,  or read interviews of everybody involved ( I don't think I did it with any show before BBC Sherlock. Recently, I did smth. similar with "The Kings Speech", but much less obsessively.).
I like Lucy Liu, and think Miller will be quite good ( I would not expect any less from Benedict's friend). If the writing is smart, it'll be a good TV addition.
BBC "Sherlock" is much more than good. It's bloody brilliant in every possible way. It's hard for me to imagine how "Elementary" can match it; if they do, it'll have to be very different from BBC to deserve accolades in its own right. I don't really see too many problems from the new show. Procedural drama with good acting , "mad disturbed genius" main character, and a beautiful female doctor who tries to help him along does not speak "Conan Doyle' to me.

Last edited by deerstalker (July 18, 2012 12:57 am)

July 18, 2012 3:28 am  #12

Sammy wrote:

That was my theory. There's all this positive 'controversy' over how Watson is a woman as well as being Asian, but I don't see it as a triumph racially or in gender justice. I see it as a way of cheapening any racial or gender justice that might be had, if anything. If they had really had Lucy Liu in mind for the role, they would have let Watson be a real army badass. End of story.

The thing is, yes, it's a crime drama. Yes, it will probably be a very good crime drama. But it's not a procedural. It shouldn't be 'his newest procedural' (in reference to Rob Dougerty), because it is the procedural. It defines, encompasses, and overshadows all procedural dramas that have ever been and ever will be. Rob Dougerty may write good stuff, but Moffat and Gatiss are true Conan Doyle fanboys, so we know the material is in good hands.

I don't get that from Elementary.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 18, 2012 3:30 am)

I didn't know; I saw.

July 18, 2012 4:08 am  #13

I think I've made it clear here several times, I detest the parasitic way US film makers latch onto the latest 'hit' and twist it to try to make it their own. In the process, they sully a good concept.
Luckily they have such an inflated ego that they think they can pull apart the basic premise of ACD's canon to the stage where it would be unrecognisable as an interpretation if not for titles and names.

Yes, some will like it & consider it to be the 'real Holmes' but those people have obviously not read and understood the canon and it's meanings.
Look at BBC Sherlock; there are fans of this series that have never read the original, and believe Sherlock to be totally canon. It's not, but it is a tasteful adaptation with enough originality through it to be a recognised compliment to ACD.

The Elementary people should veer away from the Holmes premise, they MAY have a good mystery show, because they won't have a good Holmes show. Their attitude has already ruled that link out.

As for the romance thing, that shows a leaning towards a less matured audience, one who will accept a more trashy story. Romance never has and never will be a part of REAL Holmes tales.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 19, 2012 7:33 pm  #14

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Sammy wrote:

That was my theory. There's all this positive 'controversy' over how Watson is a woman as well as being Asian, but I don't see it as a triumph racially or in gender justice. I see it as a way of cheapening any racial or gender justice that might be had, if anything. If they had really had Lucy Liu in mind for the role, they would have let Watson be a real army badass. End of story.

I agree completely!
Would be another thing if they had changed the genders of both roles. That might have been interesting.

Yes, it's true, the show itself might be good but not as a Sherlock Holmes show. I just don't see it.
It's sometimes ridiculous how US film makers want to make everything their own. I see how one might want to do a remake of a successful movie because it's quite old. But I never understand how they can remake movies like the french "LOL" which is from 2008 (!) (and judging from the trailer it looks like exactly the same movie) or the swedish The girl with the dragon tatoo (2009!) etc.
And now they're willing to rape the name Sherlock Holmes just to be part of this franchise because it's so succesful at the moment...

August 10, 2012 4:26 am  #15

Sammy wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

Sammy wrote:

I agree completely!
Would be another thing if they had changed the genders of both roles. That might have been interesting.

Yes, it's true, the show itself might be good but not as a Sherlock Holmes show. I just don't see it.
It's sometimes ridiculous how US film makers want to make everything their own. I see how one might want to do a remake of a successful movie because it's quite old. But I never understand how they can remake movies like the french "LOL" which is from 2008 (!) (and judging from the trailer it looks like exactly the same movie) or the swedish The girl with the dragon tatoo (2009!) etc.
And now they're willing to rape the name Sherlock Holmes just to be part of this franchise because it's so succesful at the moment...

I'm a complete Femlock fangirl. I would absolutely love to see an entirely genderswapped Sherlock Holmes, but I'd want it to be canonical, maybe with a few tasteful tongue-in-cheek gender jokes.

I love how you used "rape the name Sherlock Holmes." That's exactly what they're doing. They have said that none of the mysteries will be based on canon, disregarding the fact that that's how you do a Sherlock Holmes adaptation. The Basil Rathbone films were liberal in that area, but still referenced the canon.

I hereby institute the Sherlock Holmes canon-faithfulness quotient:

1-Barely a Sherlock Holmes adaptation (The Mentalist)
2-Scanty canonical references (House, MD)
3-More canonical references (They Might Be Giants)
4-Characters, references (Elementary scores here) <----------
5-Recurring canonical references, characters ("Elementary, Dear Data"-Star Trek)
6-Strong plotline nods (Guy Ritchie adaptations)
7-Strongly references canon in plotline and characters (Sherlock)
8-Faithful in the extreme, not verbatim (William Gillette plays)
9-Verbatim with a few tweaks (Granada Series)
10-Verbatim adaptation (None)

I didn't know; I saw.

August 10, 2012 9:28 am  #16

Thanks very much for this scientific scale, Smoggy. That's a good way to measure the canon-faithfulness of an adaptation. BTW, I think that a creatively written show like "House, MD" which has very few references to the canon may be far better than one further up on the scale like e.g. "Elementary" (which I haven't seen).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 10, 2012 3:13 pm  #17

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks very much for this scientific scale, Smoggy. That's a good way to measure the canon-faithfulness of an adaptation. BTW, I think that a creatively written show like "House, MD" which has very few references to the canon may be far better than one further up on the scale like e.g. "Elementary" (which I haven't seen).

I like to quantify things, hee hee. I think below a certain number is a good show, and above a certain number (shall we say...seven?) is a good adaptation, but threes and fours are more like Sherlock Holmes purgatory.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 11, 2012 6:13 pm  #18

I  loved reading this thread about the thing that is called ELEMENTARY.    I'm going to watch it.   It supposedly premeires on CBS  in USA  on Sept 27th  2012.  Bit of a loooooong wait,  don'tcha think?  I'm not down with the sexual tension thing.  I mean,  it's ok  but I could care less.  I just wanna see how the charries interact,  and how they solve cases.  I also wanna see how the writers put the canon bits in there.  THIS reincarnation has never been done, tho--I'll grant them that.  It's the first Male-Female Holmes and Watson.   Onwards and upwards, I must say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 11, 2012 11:44 pm  #19

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  loved reading this thread about the thing that is called ELEMENTARY.    I'm going to watch it.   It supposedly premeires on CBS  in USA  on Sept 27th  2012.  Bit of a loooooong wait,  don'tcha think?  I'm not down with the sexual tension thing.  I mean,  it's ok  but I could care less.  I just wanna see how the charries interact,  and how they solve cases.  I also wanna see how the writers put the canon bits in there.  THIS reincarnation has never been done, tho--I'll grant them that.  It's the first Male-Female Holmes and Watson.   Onwards and upwards, I must say.

CBS has done that before, actually, in a made-for-TV movie in the 80s. Hello, earth to CBS, think of something original.

I didn't know; I saw.

August 12, 2012 1:10 am  #20

I didn't know that.  sheesh.   yeah  TV  needs more original stories.   Soooo---CBS  is  re-doing it,  ONLY  because BBC's Sherlock is so darned popular with us  viewers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera