BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2012 10:41 pm  #21

Re: Wallender

Only Faulty Towers 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 10, 2012 9:30 am  #22

Harriet wrote:

I mean, after LIttle Britain, I feel well informed already 

I love it, it's so delightfully disturbing.

"Yeah, but no, but yeah, but ..."

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 10, 2012 9:39 am  #23

Right, Ivy, source of endless delight - and, of course, knowledge 
"Computer says No..."

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 10, 2012 12:22 pm  #24

What is even more disturbing is what excellent observations the sketches are based upon. My town is full of Vicky Pollards!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 10, 2012 3:23 pm  #25

Harriet wrote:

Right, Ivy, source of endless delight - and, of course, knowledge 
"Computer says No..."

I actually use that quote at work 

Davina wrote:

What is even more disturbing is what excellent observations the sketches are based upon. My town is full of Vicky Pollards!

Oh yes, Berlin, too.

Last edited by Ivy (December 10, 2012 3:24 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

June 23, 2015 2:28 am  #26

Just started watching this show yesterday and have one more episode to go in the first set. 

It reminds me of Sherlock in that it comes in sets of three (spaced out frustratingly so but also I think assures better quality), has superior production values, great acting and is a detective story that presents a mystery to solve in the plot but is strong on character. 

Where it is different is that it is more of a slow burn rather than keeping the almost frantic pace that Sherlock maintains.  It also hasn't got the humour that Sherlock has (although there are a few scenes that have a mildly humourous bent).  And finally the character of Wallender is almost as far away from Sherlock as possible I think.  He is very darkly introspective and not very chatty, miserable (for the most part) and put upon by life in general.  He isn't a genius at all - just a hard working cop who is consumed by his job (but isn't happy he is).  At least so far.

The camera work is superb and the editing crisp.  It wasn't until the end credits of the first episode that I saw that Tom Hiddleston was part of the cast.  My other surprise was the inclusion of David Warner as Wallender's father!  I loved him in the Hornblower movies!!  Good to see him again and he was wonderful in the role of Wallender's dad. 

Can't wait to see the other seven episodes.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

July 2, 2015 3:57 pm  #27

We finished Wallender a short while back and both of us really liked it.  Can't wait to see the fourth series when it comes available.

The plots were interesting enough (although sometimes it reminded me a bit too much of American procedural cop shows - Dan commented that it does make Sweden look like one of the most dangeerous countries on the earth at times) but the really exciting aspect was the characterisation of Wallender himself.  Really, really skillfully written and and acted.  KB was brilliant as the title character and I loved how he was intense and subtle all at the same time.  I'm not sure I would want to be too close to someone of that ilk in real life but as a fictional character to watch on screen he is endlessly fascinating. 

Unfortunately, I think that the writers sometimes put all their effort into Wallender's character and that left precious little for the other people in the show.  Especially evident, I think, in the character that Tom H plays.  I was almost glad that his character didn't return for the 3rd season - not because I didn't want him to return (or that I think TH did a poor job) but more because it was quite obvious (to me least) by that time that the writers weren't going to develop his character any further.  And that was a shame because they would hint at times that there was something deeper in his character only to back completely away from any exploration of those hints and abandon that direction as if it was a bad smell that needed to be forgotten. 

Such a waste of talent in the actor and a waste of time as a viewer. 

But these complaints are so small compared to all the many positive things about this series.  The acting of KB was, as I said, just pure brilliance!  The photography was sublime.  The lighting of the shots, the variety of the depth of field in those camera shots - remarkable.  The different perspectives of shots - really, really skilled.  And the editing exciting and crisp when it was needed and lingering and slow when it was what needed too.

The music over the opening and closing credits was something that caught my attention too. 

Dan and I both agreed that the song in the beginning of the show definitely reminded us of the music of one of our favourite Canadian groups - The Be Good Tanyas.  We have followed this trio from the beginning and adore them (we even had the pleasure of seeing them in person at the Ottawa Blues Festival one time). 

Here's a video of a sample of their music -
 http://wn.com/the_be_good_tanyas__in_spite_of_all_the_damage

Do you hear the similarities?

Like I said - can't wait to see the final season of Wallender. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera