BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2012 10:29 am  #1

Perception vs. Elementary vs. Sherlock

In "Perception," which premiered Monday, the central characters aren't named Holmes and Watson. However, the similarities are clear: Pierce, a neuroscience professor who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia, is highly eccentric, devours classical music and is brilliant at solving crimes. He has two companions: a female partner who works for the FBI (Rachael Leigh Cook) and a live-in assistant who helps keep Pierce on task.
Further linking these Holmes-style characters is a similar mode of dress - lots of big coats and flowing scarves - and, of course, their various addictions.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/article/Holmes-is-very-much-on-the-case-3696791.php#ixzz20J7eNv00

Sounds like to me that 'Perception' got the jump on 'Elementary' on American TV. Who is ripping off who these days?

I didn't watch, did anyone here see it?

July 11, 2012 10:34 am  #2

Re: Perception vs. Elementary vs. Sherlock

I'm from Germany, I don' know when it's going to be shown over here. I had a look a your link and some other page and I think it doesn't look bad. I'd be willing to give it a try.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2012 10:34 am  #3

July 12, 2012 3:44 am  #4

Perception  is on TNT,  Sherlock is on PBS,   and  Elementary  will be on  CBS  in the fall for USA.   I  don't get why PBS  is sort of claiming that THEY  own  SHERLOCK,  when in fact it is a BBC  production and it airs in the BBC  at least  6 months before PBS  gets it.   That's my only beef with this article.   

When I  read the reviews on Perception,  I'm like OMG  did I miss something?   I  think I did,  so I'm going to find out when that ep  will re-air.  That coat  and scarf just absolutely draws me in...hook,  line,  and sinker.   thanks for posting this!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 12, 2012 4:12 am  #5

Geez they don't mind churning out clones of a brilliant show over there do they?
Again in may have moments of 'good' but probably another flash in the pan. They'll need something different to hook me I'm afraid.
*insert rolling eyes smiley * (why don't we have one?? hmm)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 12, 2012 5:08 am  #6

PBS have the sole rights to Sherlock in the USA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2012 8:46 am  #7

I'd probably like this more than Elementary because at least it's not a direct Holmes thing...I think most detective shows have some elements of SH in them anyway so who knows, could be good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 12, 2012 9:14 am  #8

Well I have just downloaded it & about to watch it; so I will let you know soon.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 12, 2012 11:16 am  #9

*sigh*
Hmm. Well I cried with laughter when he had to solve an anagram.
Suddenly all these letters came onto the screen, and he started rearranging them. Puhleeeease! Paul McGuigan should sue! Add the obligatory scarf & coat and I was wiping tears away for the first part of this show.

This guy is a mix of so many kinds of 'quirk' one wonders how they can expect us to believe he's allowed to teach! No really, I know many people have  disorders and conditions but dead-set this guy is like a mixing bowl to the point of it being unrealistic and stupid.(and that's a professional opinion)

They try to portray Psychopathology & Psychoanalysis as some kind of party trick; it doesn't work well at all.
There were 'splashes' of this & that that weren't necessary or connected
They did have a few patches of 'nice' but all in all, imagine watching the scene from HOUND where Sherlock is fighting his nicotine cravings & he's sitting down bouncing up and down like a lunatic. Well that's what half of this show is like. You have to guess which people are real when he's talking to them and you have to be ready for one of his phobias to flare up at any given time.

All in all, I dislike these shows who base the whole premise for the main character as being that they have some kind of mental disorder, ASD or other syndrome but nonetheless are 'geniuses'. Yes, there are such people but NO there are not that many, and NO you the viewer do NOT share their symptoms. Ever since Rain Man, the number of self diagnosed savants in one form or another has increased dramatically.

But I digress.
Was it worth watching?................................................ I guess so.
Will I be eagerly awaiting the next episode? ...................Only to see if they've learnt anything, especially how hideously fake it looks.
Any interesting cast members? ....................................Not really, standard American cast.
How would I describe it? ..............................................Standard American cop show with a few 'fancy bits' thrown in & mixed up in  quirky perception.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 12, 2012 12:53 pm  #10

sherlockskitty wrote:

I  don't get why PBS  is sort of claiming that THEY  own  SHERLOCK,  when in fact it is a BBC  production

Well, as Davina said, PBS have distribution rights in the US. They are also financially contributing to Season 3 judging by the comments at the Q&A. But if you really want to get into ownership, it's. It isn't technically a BBC productions either. It's Hartswood Films. :-)

Edit: phone finger typos

Last edited by Wholocked (July 12, 2012 12:54 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 12, 2012 1:30 pm  #11

sherlockskitty wrote:

Perception  is on TNT,  Sherlock is on PBS,   and  Elementary  will be on  CBS  in the fall for USA.   I  don't get why PBS  is sort of claiming that THEY  own  SHERLOCK,  when in fact it is a BBC  production and it airs in the BBC  at least  6 months before PBS  gets it.   That's my only beef with this article.

I suggest you read "A Study in Celluloid: A Producer's Account of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes" by Michael Cox, for a better understanding of the PBS role in the making of a Sherlock Holmes series. Without PBS backing and guarantees for American viewing, that great series would never had been made.

Last edited by Straker (July 12, 2012 1:31 pm)

July 12, 2012 3:37 pm  #12

ooohhh I stand corrected.  I  thought of getting that book,  cos I LOVE  JB,, but it was too expensive.   that makes sense,  that PBS  is  backing the show for USA viewership.

So--  now...who's copying whom?   I  say  SHERLOCK  got there first,  and the other shows wouldn't have been made if   SHERLOCK  wasn't so popular.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (July 12, 2012 3:37 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

July 13, 2012 4:41 am  #13

sherlockskitty wrote:

So--  now...who's copying whom?   I  say  SHERLOCK  got there first,  and the other shows wouldn't have been made if   SHERLOCK  wasn't so popular.

That happens all the time though; you never see one Robin Hood movie come out, there's always a few versions.
As for Sherlock shows, same thing has happened for decades now.
Giveit 5 years & you will be hard pressed to find many Sherlock Holmes movies/shows.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 4:48 am  #14

Oh , and about Perception, his 'sidekick' Kate Moretti is an FBI agent  & very much a 'Teresa Lisbon' type character. So they've used a few different formulae in this one.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

July 13, 2012 11:55 pm  #15

Oh, what, really? Another one?
Hm, actually haven't heard about this one. Probably because it isn't so closely based on Sherlock Holmes.

I don't know but could they just stop, like... taking Holmes to America? I like it in London, it should stay there.
Or make up your own characters...

July 14, 2012 11:43 pm  #16

We should. Or we could commandeer Dupin. (Edgar Allen Poe was one of us, after all)

I wish they'd gotten creative and made him a descendant of Holmes or something. They could even have made 'Sherlock' a family name and given him the same personality, thrown in some good family immigration history...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera