BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2013 10:08 pm  #9641

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

ancientsgate wrote:

Maggi13 wrote:

It looks really raw. Me like :-). Is that Star Trek? *scratches head*

Yep. John Harrison, who turned out to be the-secret-who's-not-a-secret character. BAMF!Ben did a good job with that role.

Such a good job, his acting crushes about everything and everyone in there. 
His monolouge made the hair on my arms and legs stand on end.
Can*t wait for the DVD to come out.

June 1, 2013 11:31 pm  #9642

Good night, guys! See you tomorrow...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 1, 2013 11:52 pm  #9643

Taken by photographer Alison Jackson in 2008. Her quote:

‘I was shooting Benedict Cumberbatch the star of Atonement at the bar in the Ivy Club. We had this idea that he should pose naked on a bar stool with just a copy of the Financial Times. He didn’t think twice about doing it. He just stripped everything off in the club. There were other people around but no one gave him a second glance.’

(This is why we don't drink alcohol to excess: you don't know what you might miss!)

June 2, 2013 12:03 am  #9644

Yeah, there definitely should be more Benedict stripping at my local pub.

Anyway, dunno if it's been done before but here are a few screencaps I made from Stuart, a life backwards.

Just like old times...

June 2, 2013 12:05 am  #9645

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

Taken by photographer Alison Jackson in 2008. Her quote:

‘I was shooting Benedict Cumberbatch the star of Atonement at the bar in the Ivy Club. We had this idea that he should pose naked on a bar stool with just a copy of the Financial Times. He didn’t think twice about doing it. He just stripped everything off in the club. There were other people around but no one gave him a second glance.’

I presume he left his shorts on, or that the bartender threw down a clean towel for him to sit on. You never know who might have been on that stool before you. Anyway, I sincerely doubt that he took "everything" off. This was a professional photoshoot, not some drunken frat party. Say, what about this, next time he calls me, I'll ask him, okay? heh

June 2, 2013 12:07 am  #9646

Punch me in the face wrote:

Anyway, dunno if it's been done before but here are a few screencaps I made from Stuart, a life backwards.

What is Stuart, A Life Backwards? Never heard of it or seen these photos before. My god, what was he, about 22 there?  Looks like his own little brother.

June 2, 2013 12:11 am  #9647

ancient: it's a movie based on a true story. Benedict is Alexander, a guy who writes a biography on Stuart, a homeless guy with whom life's been really cruel. Wonderful movie. Just watched it tonight!

And no, Benedict wasn't 22  It was in 2007, that makes him 31 hehe! But he always looks like a baby

Just like old times...

June 2, 2013 12:37 am  #9648

Good night ladies. See you tomorrow. *2.30 in the moring* Ben is keeping me awake, aka Batchsomnia.

June 2, 2013 12:38 am  #9649

Punch me in the face wrote:

ancient: it's a movie based on a true story. Benedict is Alexander, a guy who writes a biography on Stuart, a homeless guy with whom life's been really cruel. Wonderful movie. Just watched it tonight! And no, Benedict wasn't 22  It was in 2007, that makes him 31 hehe! But he always looks like a baby

Thx, I will look for the movie. He's finally stopped looking like a baby in the last couple of years, thank god, plus he's dressing like an adult now, so that's nice, too. I like the way he looks now.  He's really changed in the last 5 years or so. For the better, IMO.

June 2, 2013 12:40 am  #9650

ancientsgate wrote:

I presume he left his shorts on, or that the bartender threw down a clean towel for him to sit on. You never know who might have been on that stool before you. Anyway, I sincerely doubt that he took "everything" off.

I'll agree about the towel.  But Benedict has never been at all shy about being naked in front of the public and she was talking about how strange shooting actors could be.  I don't think shorts are strange enough, so I believe she was speaking literally.

At any rate - this one has done me in for the night:

June 2, 2013 12:42 am  #9651

ancientsgate wrote:

Thx, I will look for the movie. He's finally stopped looking like a baby in the last couple of years, thank god, plus he's dressing like an adult now, so that's nice, too. I like the way he looks now.  He's really changed in the last 5 years or so. For the better, IMO.

It's on HBOgo, if you have HBO.

June 2, 2013 1:08 am  #9652

Benedict has never been at all shy about being naked in front of the public

Really? Since when? I haven't heard this before.
He needs to start being shy about that, now that he's a big name movie star and super-successful Sherlock on two continents. It will not do his career any good to be showing his bits, on purpose or by mistake.

June 2, 2013 6:46 am  #9653

June 2, 2013 6:53 am  #9654

ancientsgate wrote:

He needs to start being shy about that, now that he's a big name movie star and super-successful Sherlock on two continents. It will not do his career any good to be showing his bits, on purpose or by mistake.

I guess this a little late after he did Frankenstein ;) which was recently. I think actors have eccentricity and if for him it is being naked. Why not?

June 2, 2013 6:58 am  #9655

ancientsgate wrote:

Well, I suppose most famously since he appeared on stage in Frankenstein every other night as the Creature and spent 45 minutes moving around onstage completely in the nude.  If you go to this page and scroll down, there's a photo-set at the bottom and the center one is from the production.  There're also shots from him doing all sorts of parts nude or semi.  The picture in the center is from the part where the Creature begins to learn to walk.  It's all quite wonderful, really, sort of an awkward and beautiful ballet.

You know, I recall one British film from what must be over ten years ago where these middle-aged men are all running downhill to jump into a pond.  Full frontal wobbly bits showing.  I think they have a more sanguine attitude about it all.

I think when Benedict stripped in the bar it was just part of doing a job as a photographer's model.  It's pretty common for models of both sexes to just be sort of indifferent to nudity when they do runway work and photoshoots with costume changes.

He is a star on every continent, actually, except Antarctica, I suppose, and I think he got there by doing the great job he does in all roles and doing some pretty courageous work.  If he chooses to disrobe, or not, it's fine by me.  Whatever he chooses is fine by me as long as I can watch the performance.  But what I don't think he should ever do, is make any decision based on whether some culture will think it is or is not okay or to maintain popularity.  And I don't think he would. 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (June 2, 2013 7:00 am)

June 2, 2013 7:09 am  #9656

Yes, but 2 points.
1.  Don't know if he did have undies on for the newspaper shot.
2.  The nude Frankenstein scenes were never to be filmed, so we should never post any of these stills we stumble upon. Oh and it's for abot 20 mins at the beginnign of the play.  When The Creature is BORN, funnily enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 7:10 am  #9657

Maggi13 wrote:

I guess this a little late after he did Frankenstein ;) which was recently. I think actors have eccentricity and if for him it is being naked. Why not?

Hmmmm.  The shoot in the bar was in 2008, I think, after Atonement. Frankenstein was 2011.  Of course, nude shower scene in End's of the Earth or whatever that was called  would be ... 2004ish? And he made that short about the twin brothers, that was a pretty naked Batch as well, at one point.

I really don't think it's eccentric, just what happens in his work and he doesn't care.  He hugs all kinds of men, doesn't care what people think about that, God bless him, and he does his job without much regard for modesty - when called for.  I think he's probabaly quite normal in his personal life, though.

June 2, 2013 7:12 am  #9658

How have we got onto discussing Benedict's personal life?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2013 7:15 am  #9659

They always planned to have NT Live screenings of Frankenstein. Both Benedict and Jonny Lee Miller (since they alternated which parts they played) did the 'birth' scene naked. I don't think it would have made any difference to either actor as to whether this was on stage or screen. The nudity is part of the part being played. Whilst some actors may have reservations about performing without clothes on, many are also quite relaxed about doing so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 2, 2013 7:18 am  #9660

besleybean wrote:

Yes, but 2 points.
1.  Don't know if he did have undies on for the newspaper shot.
2.  The nude Frankenstein scenes were never to be filmed, so we should never post any of these stills we stumble upon. Oh and it's for abot 20 mins at the beginnign of the play.  When The Creature is BORN, funnily enough.

OK, well, I looked into the timing just now and as near as I can figure--

Benedict himself said he was naked onstage for 45 minutes.  BUT - people who saw it say from 10-20 minutes.  BUT - the actors were encased in the womb for about 30ish minutes while the audience was being seated and so forth.  They were nude inside the womb. So possibly that explains the discrepancy between what he said and what is reported. 

I don't know why this matters, but I'm sure the onstage time is closer to what you said.  Audience  reports also include decriptors of various parts, of all sides, of his anatomy. 

The point is simply he is not bothered by being naked in his work, 

Board footera