BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2014 2:17 pm  #34601

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

"A true friend stabs you in the front" - Oscar Wilde

October 14, 2014 2:19 pm  #34602

SolarSystem wrote:

There's more...

Even better than the first one.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 14, 2014 2:39 pm  #34603

A couple of things in the interview made me a little sad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 14, 2014 2:58 pm  #34604

And already people are posting on tumblr that they are pissed about some of the things Ben said.

*sigh*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 14, 2014 2:59 pm  #34605

tonnaree wrote:

What things Tonnaree? (I didn't have the time to read it yet)

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

October 14, 2014 3:00 pm  #34606

tonnaree wrote:

Like how he views people who have noticed him and how he feels about it?  It's why I would never want to approach him when he's out and about, maybe he just doesn't want to be bothered.  I'd hate to be one of "those".

October 14, 2014 3:27 pm  #34607

October 14, 2014 3:59 pm  #34608

SolarSystem wrote:

To be honest, I seriously doubt that he really doesn't understand it. He might say so in public - and what else should he say? "Oh yeah, of course I'm sexy and I know it!"...? I think he is clever enough to understand it.

Agreed. I think most attractive people know it. OTOH, as a youth he had a hard time with his unique looks; only as an adult did he mature into the way he looks, find a way to use his own looks professionally, and tap into his wonderful acting talents. The people (both male and female) who think he's uber-gorgeous think so because of the whole package, or what we think we perceive as the whole package, anyway.

Last edited by ancientsgate (October 14, 2014 4:39 pm)

October 14, 2014 4:13 pm  #34609

He is the consummate actor. I've yet to see a formal photo shoot of him in which he didn't appear to be playing a role.  I think partly he must do it to amuse himself, as well as to wile away the boring time while he poses for the photographer. I find it fascinating.  And aside from that, what's with the gorgeous, expensive blue clothing in those Out pics? Fabulous. *slurp*

October 14, 2014 4:14 pm  #34610

SolarSystem wrote:

There's more...

Whatcha doin' down there, Ben?

October 14, 2014 4:23 pm  #34611

Those OUT pictures... oh sweet goodness!!

Thanks for posting those!

Now excuse me while I try to catch my heart... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2014 4:37 pm  #34612

tonnaree wrote:

Me, too. In fact, a lot of it did. It might be what the article's author chose to pick out and use out of that interview, of course, or the slant that an "Out" reader would expect from that particular magazine, I don't know. As an older, straight female, of course nothing in the magazine would be "aimed at" me in any way, shape or form, editorially, so I shouldn't be surprised that any type of article in "Out" didn't exactly do it for me.

He sounded a bit trapped by his new life, and that's sad. Not surprising, but a bit sad. He seems very self-absorbed-- a wife and kids would soon burn a lot of that out of him, of course, but as long as it's just he, himself and him, not even a dog as a pet, then he can buy into the idea of the whole world seemingly revolving around him and his own needs.

I was frankly surprised by his disdain for the fans gawking at him in public and of his deliberately refusing photos and autographs, but I don't know why it surprised me. I remember a year or so ago, when someone on the internet  posted photos of him and and a female friend in some public cafe, draping napkins over their heads and faces because they were sick of being looked at. That's okay, but if you don't like it, stay home. Or wear a disguise. It wouldn't be difficult to escape most notice.

I dunno. Whatever. He lives in a world that I can only imagine, so I should shut up. Shutting up now......

October 14, 2014 5:16 pm  #34613

I don't understand - what did he say that people don't like, or that makes them sad?   He seems happy enough to have pictures taken with people when he's making a public appearance, and I don't think it's rude to refuse them when he's not in that role.  I think most of us wouldn't even ask, but he seemed to be pleasant to the lady that did, and refused the offer from the manager to fend people off (and was concerned about security being too heavy handed - he seemed protective of his fans, if anything). 

This picture makes me smile - something about him being barefoot and perched up amongst those chairs. 

Last edited by Liberty (October 14, 2014 6:13 pm)

October 14, 2014 6:22 pm  #34614

I want to tickle his toes!!

If I met him in public I'd leave him alone... I have never approaced someone famous when they weren't 'working'. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 14, 2014 7:02 pm  #34615

Having initially seen the fuss about this interview, my first thought was that if there's an uproar about his comments this time, he can't complain because he must know by now that there's every chance that if he makes a disparaging comment, it'll get printed.
Having read it again - it's not that bad; he's not being really rude about fanfic - he just seems a little bewildered by some of it.
He's not even rude about fans really, he just says that sometimes he finds the attention difficult - he's been too candid in the way he's expressed himself maybe, but sometimes fans unfortunately can be rude and entitled - a small section of them anyway.
What I think he needs is someone very close who will instill in him the understanding that sadly, if you don't want the media to stir up a storm for you, then you need to choose your words carefully at all times!
Amanda has done this with Martin - his public persona is a million times different since he got together with her, and he admits it's her that encouraged him to change his manner with journos and fans!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

October 14, 2014 7:45 pm  #34616

I don't think he really needs somebody to moderate him, to be honest (although I see why you think he does - it's a volatile world and the press and public can easily turn against somebody).  He didn't say anything offensive, and has a right to express an opinion, especially if he's being asked to!   I had a look at tumblr because I really couldn't see why people would be offended, and there is some really unpleasant stuff directed at him.   Fanfiction (some people objected to his comments about Johnlock fic) is a bit of an elephant in the room when it comes to Sherlock - it's going to sometimes come up in conversation and I don't think he should have to censor himself.  (Nor should the writers!)  I think that compared to many, he's actually pretty good at interviews - he talks a lot, but manages to be articulate, enthusiastic and interesting. 

October 14, 2014 8:32 pm  #34617

So this interview caused some bad rap abou Benedict? That´s what I call "a storm in a watercup". 

I read it but I´m quite puzzled what exactly did people find so offensive (it is also not the first Benedict´s interview that threw people into rage over some fairly innocent remark taken out of context, but those previous cases were equally pointless). 

He didn´t like people disturbing his privacy althrough he is a celebrity and he should be used to it by now? But why should he be disturbed at all when he is obviously having a private, possibly serious conversation with somebody else? People don´t own him just because they saw him on TV nor does he own them anything over the fact. He is most polite to people who meet him in conventions and public events where it is expected that he should be photographed and spending time with fans. What he does outside this area is his own thing and he should not be judged too harshly for wanting to have this part of his life solely for himself.

(Not that he was all that rude to the woman who approached him. He refused her quite politely, IMHO.)

Not liking Johnlock fanfiction is similarly not a crime. There are people who hate Johnlock as a whole and are their worse human human beings for it? Probably not.

Of course, we can´t know merely from this interview if he is really pretentious or not, but... if his pretentiousness is only manifested by taking part in charities, playing his roles as good as he possibly can and hating unwanted attention, I see no harm in it. More harmless egoist like this, please!  

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 14, 2014 8:36 pm  #34618

ancientsgate wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

There's more...

Whatcha doin' down there, Ben?

Wanting to seduce us with those lapis lazuli eyes...

October 14, 2014 8:38 pm  #34619

I volunteer!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

October 14, 2014 8:41 pm  #34620

Too late - I already kidnapped him for myself. 

Board footera