BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2014 2:14 pm  #31761

Re: Favourite Sherlock/Benedict pictures

My heart is thumping right out of my chest here... I know the weather is hot here, but I'm officially melting

*WUB*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 10, 2014 3:50 pm  #31762

maryagrawatson wrote:

MartaSt wrote:

gently69 wrote:

Can't help myself. Watched HLV on German telly yesterday. This man and Sherlock are definitely not the same person. That's incredibly amazing!!!

Agree. I have both Sherlock and Benedict on my desktop wallpaper and when I look at it I cannot see the same person, they're so different and yet they're the same actor. In every other Ben's role I can tell that this is Benedict Cumberbatch but not in Sherlock. I have no idea how has he done that but it's astonishing.

I'm telling you, it's the voice. He does something to his voice and he becomes Sherlock. The second he drops his Sherlock voice, I can see Benedict. It's so uncanny.

If you watch 'Many Happy Returns' before we see Sherlock on screen in the video, he says something to Greg during the sertup and any one of us rabid fans would recognize the voice as being that of Benedict. But soon as Sherlock is onscreen, Benedict disappears.

There's also a moment right at the end of TSOT, just after John and Mary go dance, where Sherlock is looking decidingly un-Ben-like and about a hundred years old, shakes his head, and, woah, there's Benedict Cumberbatch looking younger than his nearly forty years.

"Spot where Benedict drops character" would be a fun new Sherlock game.

Mary

Come to think of it - you are absolutely right. I knew that difference between Benedict and Sherlock lies not only in the aperiance but also somewhere else but I couldn't name this factor. And now you show me - the voice! There is evident difference between Sherlock's mode and Benedict's mode. Someone should make a list of every minute of each episode showing when talks Ben and when talks Sherlock.  That would be funny - imagine: "Episode: TSOT.  From minute 1:35 to 4:32 - Benedict,  from 6:12 to 9:53 - Sherlock" 

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 10, 2014 4:47 pm  #31763

MartaSt wrote:

Come to think of it - you are absolutely right. I knew that difference between Benedict and Sherlock lies not only in the aperiance but also somewhere else but I couldn't name this factor. And now you show me - the voice! There is evident difference between Sherlock's mode and Benedict's mode. Someone should make a list of every minute of each episode showing when talks Ben and when talks Sherlock. That would be funny - imagine: "Episode: TSOT. From minute 1:35 to 4:32 - Benedict, from 6:12 to 9:53 - Sherlock"

Finally, someone else who agrees with me on this! Right off the top of my head, TEH, most of the scene in the train with the bomb where Sherlock is having his meltdown, I hear Benedict, especially in, "I can't do it, John."

Sherlock's voice isn't as deep as Benedict's and it sounds 'posher'. Benedict sounds like an average middle class English bloke to me, but Sherlock sounds more like nobility, as if he's trying to rise above his ordinary upbringing, just like Mycroft does. An American comparison would be Benedict sounds like an average Midwesterner, but Sherlock sounds like a Bostonian (think Charles Emerson Winchester from M*A*S*H).

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 10, 2014 8:10 pm  #31764

maryagrawatson wrote:

Finally, someone else who agrees with me on this! Right off the top of my head, TEH, most of the scene in the train with the bomb where Sherlock is having his meltdown, I hear Benedict, especially in, "I can't do it, John."

Sherlock's voice isn't as deep as Benedict's and it sounds 'posher'. Benedict sounds like an average middle class English bloke to me, but Sherlock sounds more like nobility, as if he's trying to rise above his ordinary upbringing, just like Mycroft does. An American comparison would be Benedict sounds like an average Midwesterner, but Sherlock sounds like a Bostonian (think Charles Emerson Winchester from M*A*S*H).

Mary

I don't know how to properly describe it but to me when Sherlock is speaking the voice is deeper, with strong timbre like coming from a throat. And Benedict's voice is more shallow and soft like coming from nose. For example when Sherlock is angry I definitely hear Benedict's voice, and when Sherlock is bored or he is doing deduction - then it's Sherlock's voice.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 10, 2014 8:26 pm  #31765

MartaSt wrote:

I don't know how to properly describe it but to me when Sherlock is speaking the voice is deeper, with strong timbre like coming from a throat. And Benedict's voice is more shallow and soft like coming from nose. For example when Sherlock is angry I definitely hear Benedict's voice, and when Sherlock is bored or he is doing deduction - then it's Sherlock's voice.

I still hear Sherlock's voice as softer than Ben's, but completely agree with your impression of where each voice comes from!

You might be onto something regarding emotional Sherlock sounding more like Benedict. For example, definitely Ben at the end of TGG, in both looks and voice. One of the only scenes I can think of off the top of my head that I know I don't have to remind myself that I'm watching Benedict Cumberbatch.

Notice no one else is commenting on this? The rest of the forum must be all, "Oh, Mary and Martha are complete nutters."

Mary

June 10, 2014 8:32 pm  #31766

Tinks wrote:

I love his eyebrows!!
Isn't it funny how we all see things so differently?!

Thankfully, tastes differ. I don't know, I like eyebrows in men to be straight and more narrow. Ben's are all over the place. Though I must admit I never noticed it until a friend I was watching Sherlock with pointed it out.

But, hey, the man can't help his eyebrows, and I wouldn't want him to start plucking or shaving them either. 

June 10, 2014 8:36 pm  #31767

Oh, and on the voice thing, isn't it also that Sherlock's accent is more articulate? Somehow I always find Ben's normal accent is a bit "dirtier", for lack of a better word. No negative connotation, I like them both in equal measure, but I think it adds more distinction to Sherlock as a character that he has a cleaner accent.

June 10, 2014 8:43 pm  #31768

I know his eyebrows are barely visible here, so sorry, but nevertheless I think it's time for another pic.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 10, 2014 8:47 pm  #31769

TeeJay wrote:

Oh, and on the voice thing, isn't it also that Sherlock's accent is more articulate? Somehow I always find Ben's normal accent is a bit "dirtier", for lack of a better word. No negative connotation, I like them both in equal measure, but I think it adds more distinction to Sherlock as a character that he has a cleaner accent.

Yes!  That's a big part of why I think Sherlock sounds 'posher' and that Benedict sounds more like an average bloke, ie. like John.

Mary

June 10, 2014 9:24 pm  #31770

maryagrawatson wrote:

Notice no one else is commenting on this? The rest of the forum must be all, "Oh, Mary and Martha are complete nutters."

Mary

I find so interesting to read what you're talking about (eventho this is a picture thread ) but I'm not very good when it comes to arguing in English and seeing details in Sherlock-episodes like you do. I guess I'm too young to see 'outside the box' in Sherlock episodes and I think I'm maybe too young to find the right words in English when I want to state my opinion. I'll leave that too you.

And that's a gorgeous pic! Love his profile when he's smiling

June 10, 2014 9:33 pm  #31771

maryagrawatson wrote:

Yes!  That's a big part of why I think Sherlock sounds 'posher' and that Benedict sounds more like an average bloke, ie. like John.

Mary

Exactly my thoughts when I wrote about deep and shallow voice. You just put this in better words

And here's photo for picture thread

"

June 10, 2014 9:40 pm  #31772

MartaSt wrote:

And here's photo for picture thread

*thump* Just when I thought I'd seen ever picture there is of him. He looks so mischievious in this one!

Mary

June 10, 2014 9:42 pm  #31773

Ginger Ben is the best Ben

"

June 10, 2014 10:03 pm  #31774

MartaSt wrote:

Agreed, but don't let him hear us say that since he has argued adamantly that he is auburn, not ginger.

Mary

June 10, 2014 10:07 pm  #31775

maryagrawatson wrote:

MartaSt wrote:

Agreed, but don't let him hear us say that since he has argued adamantly that he is auburn, not ginger.

Mary

Oh, I haven't heard that. Ok, in front of him - auburn is the best. Not in front of him - ginger rules!

"

June 10, 2014 11:41 pm  #31776

June 11, 2014 12:25 am  #31777

*thud*

(I can't stop staring at his manly eyebrows now that my attention has been directed to them. They are so gorgeous and perfectly groomed and frame his eyes beautifully. )

Mary

June 11, 2014 7:23 am  #31778

HQ TiG stills alerts

Can we all just pay our respects to this AMAZING HAIR!!!

Oh and general beauty.

Good morning

I'm clueing for looks

June 11, 2014 7:44 am  #31779

Morning all.
Yes, the Turing hair looks great - he should get it blow dried more often!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 11, 2014 7:47 am  #31780

This picture is.... Brilliant!  Best way to start the day.

And of course good morning 

"

Board footera