BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2012 11:33 pm  #1

ACD Blue Plaques

A list of all ACD's blue plaques all round the country:

http://openplaques.org/people/604

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 9, 2012 11:36 pm  #2

Re: ACD Blue Plaques

blue plaques      ????????????????????

Is that some British thing? Or are they just called that because they're blue?

Last edited by Wholocked (July 9, 2012 11:38 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 10, 2012 2:06 am  #3

http://openplaques.org/about

What is Open Plaques?
Open Plaques is 'the museum of the street'.

It is a community-based project started in 2009 which documents, catalogues and promotes commemorative plaques (often blue and round) installed on buildings and other public landmarks in the UK and beyond.

The service brings the people-powered history that plaques encapsulate to life - and to a larger audience - by making its website and database the definitive and most comprehensive resource about these historical markers. In turn, the data and resources produced by the project aim for wide distribution and re-use, and are available for free to all under a Public Domain declaration.

As well as telling you where they are, we aim to tell you who is commemorated on them, what those people are notable for, and what their connection is with the places where their plaques are installed. We've been able to uncover this data through a process of automatic natural language parsing and painstaking research by our team of volunteer co-curators (if you spot a mistake, tell us).

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

July 10, 2012 3:08 pm  #4

We should have something like that in the US. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

Edit: Okay, so we do have blue plaques. Why haven't I seen them? I live in a fairly historical part of the country. Conclusion: we need more blue plaques.

Last edited by Smoggy_London_Air (July 10, 2012 6:55 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

July 10, 2012 4:24 pm  #5

I think there is a blue plaque on the outside of the house used as 221B in the filming of Sherlock. It seems to be covered by a circular exterior lemon lamp to disguise it, but it is there if you look on google street view. It commemorates Guiseppi Mazzini.

According to the Open Plaques website there are 215 plaques in the US.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10, 2012 4:48 pm  #6

Here you are (sorry, not exactly a master photo!):

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 10, 2012 4:54 pm  #7

Thanks for posting Tobe it's a much clearer image than squinting at street view. 

Board footera