BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2014 9:57 am  #1241

Re: Chit-chat

Why think about social stigma? Look at the way Sherlock sees it: " I don't care what people think"
The most important thing is that you gain liberty and independence with a bike however it looks. With a tricycle or something similar you can't fall. It's up to you to seek emanzipation from your mother and overcome your mental blockage.
I know it is easier to say than to do. You can see it as a challenge and try to do it in little steps. Give yourself little rewards if you do it.
Imagine fighting a dangerous dragon and be a dragon slayer...

April 9, 2014 10:05 am  #1242

It's funny isn't it? I don't give a damn what people think about the clothes I wear or what I do... but the tricycle is just too much for me... also because it reminds me of someone else as well... I've got a few mental blockages and I am trying to break free of them. I've already come far! 

Plus it'll be years before I can afford a bike if at all... Still struggling to pay my rent at all. My luck is that my flat is brilliantly placed. 5 minute walking distance to the station, the shopping street, the harbour, the park and the forest... 

I just think with my ancestor making one of the first bikes in the country and all that it's a bit weird... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 9, 2014 10:31 am  #1243

My experience is that there is always a way to get what you want if you really want it and are prepared to do what is needed to get it. For exampe have a look at internet auctions. I just found several used tricycles on  offer starting with under 6 € up to 300€ or more. You can also buy suport wheels or stabilisers and put them on a cheap used bike.
You get what I try to say.

April 9, 2014 10:42 am  #1244

I understand completely! And hey it's not that I'm not fighting but I'm picking my battles and I will get to those eventually. I hate to let people like that win over every little bit of my life... 

And for now I'm sort of panicking about what to wear for the Eurovision meeting tonight... It'll be much easier once we start wearing our uniforms. Gosh our gorgeous uniforms! Those shirts are beautiful! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 4:27 am  #1245

Be wrote:

Did it occur to you that we almost stopped to discuss the plot of series 3 already? And it is only three months after the original airdate in the U.K.
Fans talk about clothes, songs, movies, Mr. Cumberbatch's outfit...
Some months onwards we might have to dust the frames on our new banner.
Somebody should toss some stones into the fan's lake...

Belated adding reply to this anymore, but -did- like the comment you made!  Mixed opinions, like others said, and even besides that, wouldn't there be only so much you can re-hash before people move on?  Then maybe come back to it later…  Who knows.

In unrelated, random chatter, I was just wondering if the general consensus of you were aware/concerned/unconcerned about the whole Heartbleed online bug thing that's been talked about more lately?  Apparently existed for some time undetected until finally realized the security flaw with people's info at risk, and recommended to change your passwords.  I'm honestly not too worried, but probably just change passwords on sites that actually have any more personal info, since a good idea to do that once in a while anyhow, if some of you haven't in some time (and by now the majority of them would have patched their servers).  Just wondering.

(Aw, and good luck, Phantom!)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 10, 2014 4:41 pm  #1246

I've not even heard about that... what is it all about? Should I be worried for the Michael Jackson fan forum I co-own?? 

Bleh, I'm starting to get nervous about me seeing my doctor tomorrow about the results of my X-ray of my back. Hopefully it can be solved with correct excersises and all, maybe even stronger pain meds that might actually lower the pains... but I just have a feeling it might be something else, possibly the disks being worn down. And heck who knows... I just don't know how I'm going to take it if it's bad news... 

I can't worry my life away though. At least something is being done

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 5:01 pm  #1247

Hey, didn't use this thread yet.
Am I right, that it is for general talking?
If not, please let me know.

About that SSL-exploit, I am quite annoyed. Changing passwords again, at least for the most important accounts... bla... I have way TOO many accounts to change everything...
Silly stupid developers . I wonder what the bug was in code...

Smaug is on his way to me, this time it is trackable, the first Hobbit got lost and I had to wait a week until Amazon sent it again... not quite nice, if you preorder to have it at the release date...

I recently rewatched the first Hobbit in English... I wonder, I read Ben speaks the Necromancer... does he even speak in the first part???

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 10, 2014 5:47 pm  #1248

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Bleh, I'm starting to get nervous about me seeing my doctor tomorrow about the results of my X-ray of my back. Hopefully it can be solved with correct excersises and all, maybe even stronger pain meds that might actually lower the pains... but I just have a feeling it might be something else, possibly the disks being worn down. And heck who knows... I just don't know how I'm going to take it if it's bad news... 

I can't worry my life away though. At least something is being done

Don't expect to much from a plain X-ray. It's good for looking for fractures and excluding some other nasties but it is quite a blunt tool. You can't for example see the discs as they are soft tissue and X-rays go right through them.

Glad to hear though that you did go to your doc and got the ball rolling to get your back sorted.

April 10, 2014 7:56 pm  #1249

Hey!  So I'm not sure if you should be too worried.  On the one hand, it's getting a ton of news since it's finally been discovered (after apparently existing for a couple years), and it possibly (but possibly not) affected your personal info.  Here's an article:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/04/09/heartbleed-scare-bad-sounds/4KGq7KIffclo5Y4Eo80YTJ/story.html

Basically it lets a hacker exploit access to sites that use an OpenSSL server, grabbing a chunk of it's memory.  What's on that memory at any given time, who knows.  Might have included important stuff, might not.  That's why they're recommending you change your passwords to sites you have sensitive info on.  And by now, most places have implemented the patch.  There's even a handy tool to see if the sites you use are still affected:  http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/   Me, I'm just going to change my amazon, ebay, banking, etc password and leave it at that… haven't noticed anything wrong.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 10, 2014 8:16 pm  #1250

I know the discs are soft tissue, but I figured you might be able to tell if the gap between the bone is too small or something... but I don't know... 

I do know I have to make myself admit to my doctor how much pain I am really in... I have a bad habit of pretending everything is just peachy; the more pain I'm in, the wider I'll smile in public and that's the mistake I did last time I saw him. That's the downside to being into acting... not being able to switch it off! Like when he poked my spine where it's worst I actually giggled. (Well I did tell him it was like being stabbed with a knife). I've been like that ever since I was a little girl.. 

I broke my leg in kindergarten and was just annoyed I couldn't get up. So I sent another kid to get the grownups to help me... No one came for ages and the kid came back and told me they said I was just joking... I had to pretend to cry and scream before they came... I came home from the ER with a leg completely plastered. 

I've said it before, I'm not happy to be on pain relief because of my past stupidity... but if I'm to manage working for the Eurovision for 2 weeks I can't stay like this

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (April 10, 2014 8:18 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 8:21 pm  #1251

I know that problem. My therapist needed three or four meetings to figure out why I was visiting her, because I was always "happy" and smiling....
Same with doctors. Have terrible migraines at home at nights, it really drives me crazy and sometimes I want to jump from a high building just to make that pain stop. But the next day at the doctor: Smiling........ Well, I am fine again then

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 10, 2014 8:34 pm  #1252

I'm sorry to hear about your migranes! 

I was the same with my therapist too... we never got into the really deep stuff, because I was just too good at hiding it I guess, but she was a bit concerned that I was always smiling when talking about difficult stuff... she was actually happy when she finally made me cry (I wasn't!).

I think it will be one of the first things I tell the doctor tomorrow, what I'm like about things like this... I hope he will understand. I really need more relief... If not for me, then for the Eurovision! 

Which is moving closer and closer! Aaargh! I feel like screaming for so many reasons! I still can't believe I actually get to be a part of this whole madhouse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 8:57 pm  #1253

I know the discs are soft tissue, but I figured you might be able to tell if the gap between the bone is too small or something... but I don't know... 

You are quite right. Sometimes you can have a good incling from the X-ray. It often doesn't answer all the questions though.

I do know I have to make myself admit to my doctor how much pain I am really in... I have a bad habit of pretending everything is just peachy; the more pain I'm in, the wider I'll smile in public and that's the mistake I did last time I saw him. That's the downside to being into acting... not being able to switch it off! Like when he poked my spine where it's worst I actually giggled. (Well I did tell him it was like being stabbed with a knife). I've been like that ever since I was a little girl..

You don't make it easy for you doctor do you. I try to make it as easy as possible for people and ask them to rate their pain rather than try to judge it by the outside signs as some people are more stoical then others. The more open you can be though the easier it is to provide a best treatment.
I hope your appoitment goes well tomorrow.

April 10, 2014 9:01 pm  #1254

I am a terrible patient! Sorry! I'll try to be open with my doctor... I actually trust this man, even if I've only met him once... but I feel I have faith in him

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 10, 2014 9:14 pm  #1255

I am a terrible patient! Sorry! I'll try to be open with my doctor... I actually trust this man, even if I've only met him once... but I feel I have faith in him

There is no need to be sorry. If everyone was a model patient the job would be boring.  Many of my patients don't tell me what's going on because they can't or don't want to. The detective part of trying to figure things out makes an interesting challenge. I can sort things out much quicker though if I get more info. It's a two way street though. It's my job to help patients trust me. Sounds like your doctor managed to get that therapeutic relationship going from the outset.

April 11, 2014 4:19 am  #1256

Eh, I hear you Zeratul, about all the passwords… but oh, hey… may not need to worry about many!  Here's a 'checked on' list of all the major sites, quite a few were unaffected, so that probably helps you there… http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

Ok, I'll shush about it now.    Ehn…  hear the rest of you, too, on the 'trying to be fine', thing.  Okay to some extent with not 'bothering' those around you with it, but really doesn't help your doctor fix it for you.  I often tried to 'put up' with it on my own, too.  Good luck with that, Phantom!

April 11, 2014 9:34 am  #1257

Watched a film at "ARD" (1st German channel) http://www.ardmediathek.de/das-erste/fernsehfilme-im-ersten/frauchen-und-die-deiwelsmilch?documentId=20725638 yesterday...
It is funny that they are using onscreen-stuff when she is using the computer and "magically" finds everything... Reminds me of something ^^ bloody theifs

April 11, 2014 6:09 pm  #1258

zeratul wrote:

Watched a film at "ARD" (1st German channel) http://www.ardmediathek.de/das-erste/fernsehfilme-im-ersten/frauchen-und-die-deiwelsmilch?documentId=20725638 yesterday...
It is funny that they are using onscreen-stuff when she is using the computer and "magically" finds everything... Reminds me of something ^^ bloody theifs

I haven't watched the movie, so I can not judge how good or bad it was, but my first reaction when I read about this movie was: How can ARD show a movie with Daniela Katzenberger(!!!) during prime time and banish Sherlock into the night? I'm seriously thinking about writing an email to the ARD to ask if they have lost their marbles. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 11, 2014 8:43 pm  #1259

Well yes, you got a point...
I heard of that movie before it was shown, because basicaly I like her, maybe because of the accent, because my mother origins from an area where it is similar to that...
She did really well, but the onscreen thing was bit strange...

April 17, 2014 7:10 am  #1260

I have to tell you this, I found the first and only fan fiction I´ve ever written yesterday when I was looking for something completely different.. it was about Basil the Great Mouse Detective and I must have been around 8. Funny, I had completely forgotten about this.. Seems I already had a thing for detective stories back then..

Board footera