BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 18, 2013 7:23 pm  #981

Re: Chit-chat

ancientsgate wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

So it's baptism for adults?

Depends on the Christian denomination what they want to call it. I'm a Protestant, and in the large church I go to, infant/child baptisms are almost unheard of now. Now the parents present the child for something called dedication-- that they're dedicated to the idea of teaching the kid Christianity and bringing him up in the faith, and the people in the church pledge to support that. Then baptism (we do full submersion) is done when the child is old enough to understand and make a choice to be a Christian, or for adults who are newly converted.

But in just basic English, I think christening and baptism can be interchangeable words, pretty much.

And in Catholicism, there are three sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation and Communion.  We aren't Catholic, but we live in a very Catholic area, so I've gone to a few Confirmation parties (we don't go the Confirmation itself, though).  Guess there will be more as the children grow up.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 18, 2013 7:23 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 18, 2013 7:27 pm  #982

I'm ex Anglican, but I can assure you there are more sacraments than that.  It's a popular quiz question:
There are the Eucharist, Confession,marraige, ordination and last rites as well!
Oh sorry, you said Communion!

Last edited by besleybean (July 18, 2013 7:31 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 18, 2013 7:36 pm  #983

I've definitely been to several Catholic weddings.  One time the priest got drunk off of the wine XD  Maybe he should have not poured so much, lol.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 18, 2013 9:49 pm  #984

sj4iy wrote:

I've definitely been to several Catholic weddings.  One time the priest got drunk off of the wine XD  Maybe he should have not poured so much, lol.

I thought that drinking alcohol was considered a sin?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 18, 2013 10:02 pm  #985

kittykat wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Well, the priest was drinking wine like Jesus' blood.  Like communion.

July 18, 2013 10:17 pm  #986

Well that's kimd of what they do...personally I don't drink wine or blood!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 18, 2013 10:35 pm  #987

My brother's spending tomorrow night at our house...that should be fun!

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 18, 2013 10:37 pm  #988

Sounds fun!  Does he live far away?

July 18, 2013 10:55 pm  #989

Just on the opposite side of town, not far at all

July 19, 2013 12:44 am  #990

kittykat wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Catholics are allowed the fruit of the wine. Some strict Protestant denominations frown on it big time (like Baptists, for instance), as do the Mormons. So it depends on who you ask.

July 19, 2013 1:17 am  #991

Here's the dress I'm wearing on Saturday. I've got a navy blue clutch bag, a beige jacket and nude shoes

July 19, 2013 1:56 am  #992

kittykat wrote:

Here's the dress I'm wearing on Saturday. I've got a navy blue clutch bag, a beige jacket and nude shoes

Will you have flowers to carry, or a corsage? Pretty dress, quite fitting for the occasion!

July 19, 2013 2:02 am  #993

We're wearing corsages

July 19, 2013 1:43 pm  #994

My brother will be here tonight...I wonder if I can convert him while Hounds is on?

July 19, 2013 1:44 pm  #995

Go for it.

July 19, 2013 9:15 pm  #996

My brother's here...he and my dad are now comparing old injuries 

July 19, 2013 9:18 pm  #997

Ha ha.  My in-laws are here and we're just hanging around the house.  We were playing in the kid's pool, but then it started to storm.  Now I'm making some rooibos tea.

July 19, 2013 11:29 pm  #998

Wicked hot here. I live about 40 miles north of Boston in the northeastern part of the US. We went out to lunch with friends today, and when we came back to the car, which was sitting in the sun, the thermometer (which is actually under the hood) said 106 F.  It was about 95 F outside in the air. And terriby humid, too. Not my kind of weather!

July 19, 2013 11:30 pm  #999

Off to bed now, see you guys on Sunday!

July 19, 2013 11:46 pm  #1000

We're going to watch "Blink" from Doctor Who.  My favorite episode ^^

Board footera